Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Picture perfect (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/picture-perfect-125/)
-   -   Painted Bunting (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/picture-perfect-125/painted-bunting-303832/)

larbud 03-14-2020 09:14 AM

Painted Bunting

Male, Meh.

Madelaine Amee 03-14-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larbud (Post 1727576)
Male, Meh.

I had a Painted Bunting visit my feeders several years ago, it was a sight I will never forget, so many colors on such a small bird. It came for two mornings and then was gone and I have never seen one since.

larbud 03-14-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1727580)
I had a Painted Bunting visit my feeders several years ago, it was a sight I will never forget, so many colors on such a small bird. It came for two mornings and then was gone and I have never seen one since.

White millet, they’ll find it hopefully.

larbud 03-14-2020 09:58 AM

A Couple more.

Velvet 03-14-2020 11:34 AM

What a good looking bird!

polaris 03-14-2020 02:42 PM

What a beautiful bird and such nice pictures.

I’m new to The Villages and looked in the recreation info but didn’t see anything about birder clubs. Perhaps I missed it though. Are there such clubs here?

Madelaine Amee 03-14-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deweydash (Post 1727722)
What a beautiful bird and such nice pictures.

I’m new to The Villages and looked in the recreation info but didn’t see anything about birder clubs. Perhaps I missed it though. Are there such clubs here?

There is a very active Birding club here, unfortunately I do not know what they call themselves. Someone on here will know, just wait a day or so. Unfortunately, many of the clubs do not name themselves with something you would recognize as the subject of the club. The Kite Flyers in my area call themselves Cloud Chasers .... I would never have known they were kite people.

rmd2 03-15-2020 06:04 AM

What a beautiful bird! I was happy to see a bluebird on my feeder the other day. The first I have ever seen in my yard. I bought a lot of seed when the Wild Bird store was closing but when I run out does anyone know where to buy really good bird seed with not a lot of filler?

Kittycat522 03-15-2020 07:17 AM

Yes there is a birding club that meets in The Villages at the Paradise rec center at 9 AM the third Saturday of each month however The March meeting is canceled due to the virus. they have a website. Village Birders | The Village Birders They break May, June, July, August, and start back up in September.

polaris 03-15-2020 07:55 AM

Up north, I’ve had really good luck with the National Audubon Society 10-lb Deluxe Blend Bird Seed from Lowe’s. (Item # 926621 Model # 009487-from the web site.). The bag has a bright red cardinal on it. Attracts lots of bluebirds and cardinals.

polaris 03-15-2020 07:58 AM

Thank you kittycat and madelaine. I tried to respond including your response, kittycat, but it got marked as spam due to the link in it. So not sure if it will appear. If it does, I apologize for the double responses.
I will check out that aptly named club in the fall!

Madelaine Amee 03-15-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmd2 (Post 1727829)
What a beautiful bird! I was happy to see a bluebird on my feeder the other day. The first I have ever seen in my yard. I bought a lot of seed when the Wild Bird store was closing but when I run out does anyone know where to buy really good bird seed with not a lot of filler?

I was a very good customer of the Wild Bird Food store and I miss their great products. I have, however found that get Pennington's Song Bird Fruit and Nut mix in Walmart. I have a nesting box for blue birds and many other kinds of birds feed from my feeder, so they must like my Fruit and Nut Seed!!!!:a040: