Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Closures (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/closures-303835/)

Emkay56 03-14-2020 09:48 AM

Closures

I don’t know where my post went, so I’m resubmitting. My husband and I have a rental for the month of April. Can someone tell me if neighborhood pools, restaurants, and golf courses are still open? We are not cancelling our trip yet, however, if everything is closed, it doesn’t make much sense to come.

JSR22 03-14-2020 09:51 AM

Currently, golf courses, pools, rec ceters and restaurants are open.

rustyp 03-14-2020 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emkay56 (Post 1727598)
I don’t know where my post went, so I’m resubmitting. My husband and I have a rental for the month of April. Can someone tell me if neighborhood pools, restaurants, and golf courses are still open? We are not cancelling our trip yet, however, if everything is closed, it doesn’t make much sense to come.

As of this morning Florida has 70 cases of Covid19 with three resultant deaths. Like most other areas there has not been an abundance of tests available / administered. Given Florida has one of the largest elderly and at risk population of anywhere in the US what do think the hospitals here will look like if this does get to levels that some are predicting (I so hope not). If you don't have to come why would you ? If you do better check your out of area insurance coverage before you do. What is your plan if you need to be hospitalized or we are quarantined like New Rochelle and the stay is past your rental period ? Time to sit down pencil and paper and do the plus and minus.

vintageogauge 03-14-2020 12:28 PM

No cases reported in the 3 counties of The Villages which includes Ocala. All the bars and restaurants are open as well as the country club restaurants. Pools, rec. centers, are open but most indoor activities have been cancelled. They sure haven't cancelled the good weather as it is sunny and 10 degrees above the average for this time of the year. We have a brand new emergency room with beds very close to Brownwood on Route 44, The Villages Hospital, Leesburg and Ocala Hospitals too. I would ask again when it's closer to April and if things are the same as now I don't see a problem. If cases start popping up while you're here you can always go home if you don't feel comfortable spending the month.

rustyp 03-14-2020 12:48 PM

President just announced no travel from UK and Ireland also. At that press release there was some hint that domestic travel maybe limited. As I posted more than a week ago major universities in NY were suspending classes for the rest of the semester. That ended up being true. Most of those universities are having employees capable of working at home do such but have not suspended all employees from coming to work. From my same source (I cannot disclose) a university sent memo yesterday to any employee living outside the county not to come to work independent of being able to work from home or not. There is the beginning of domestic travel restrictions.

kathyspear 03-14-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1727695)
There is the beginning of domestic travel restrictions.

How would that work exactly?

kathy

rustyp 03-14-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyspear (Post 1727708)
How would that work exactly?

kathy

I have no idea. Seen a clip today on Italy. Police patrolling the streets. People not following the rules get a $250 citation if caught.

OCsun 03-14-2020 03:13 PM

People in The Villages are either staying in their houses and only leaving to go out for supplies or they are trying to live their lives while being smart. My husband and I are watching Villagers play golf and practice their putting from our lanai. We also took a golf cart ride to Lake Sumter around lunch time and saw other Villagers enjoying their afternoon in the beautiful weather having lunch and walking around the square. We observed many people taking walks, riding bikes and enjoying the pools. Everyday life can go on in the Villages with some common sense and respect for the people around you.

Gpsma 03-14-2020 04:48 PM

Best thing about this virus....snowbirds will go home early...less people, less chance of infection

charmed59 03-14-2020 09:31 PM

Tonight we took a drive around our closest town square. There were families with kids dancing to the piped in music on the band stand, people walking with ice cream cones along the boardwalk, and live entertainment at Cody’s on the water. The restaurants looked like they had customers, but nothing was shoulder to shoulder. I was happy to see people enjoying themselves while keeping safe distances from others.

maggie1 03-15-2020 05:22 AM

Went to Caine Garden yesterday to have my "Golf Buddy" GPS updated for some of the courses that weren't on it to begin with. I had a plastic container of Lysol wipes in the tray of my golf cart, with three wipes in it. When I was finished in the proshop I went back to my cart, opened the container to wipe off my hands and GPs - guess what? The container was empty - someone had taken my wipes without even leaving a thank you note.

Mmarr 03-15-2020 05:24 AM

Yes..open.. best place to be outside

Two Bills 03-15-2020 05:32 AM

In view of the crisis, I have just asked my bank to close my outstanding overdraft debt.

pmiceli 03-15-2020 05:43 AM

Everything is closing down here, the only things opened are the pools and some restaurants. It’s had to get food and staples, so bring plenty of foods and drinks (bottled Water, etc.) with you. We had a guest coming down in May and they moved their booking to next April. Hope this helps.

rockandroller 03-15-2020 06:05 AM

During our Saturday bicycle ride, I noticed many more cyclists and runners than BC (before Corona). Also, visited the Winn-Dixie close to Spanish Springs and DID NOT notice extreme "panic buying" other than the cereal aisle which had a few bare spots.