Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Golf Cart Use on Championship Courses (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/golf-cart-use-championship-courses-303849/)

VillagesFlorida 03-14-2020 01:54 PM

Golf Cart Use on Championship Courses

So, hubby went to two championship golf courses yesterday, asking if he could ride by himself in our golf cart while he played. The answer was “No”. He stated that he didn’t feel comfortable sitting so close to another player in these times when anyone might be carrying the virus. It would seem that considering The Villages has shut down much of its entertainment venues that some consideration could be given to those of us who are trying to maintain some semblance of a normal life, yet do all we can to protect ourselves? So, he won’t be playing any of the courses here for the foreseeable future. We are in a high risk group when it comes to this virus and allowing individual carts would be a responsible and sensible thing for The Villages to do. I understand that during normal life and in a perfect world cart traffic is restricted to protect the courses, etc. They might as well just close all of the courses here. Jamming people together in close proximity is exactly what we are being told not to do. Yes, we are isolating at home and keeping a distance from others when we DO have to go out. Today, while picking up two prescriptions at CVS I had to ask the guy in line behind me to back off. He was literally a foot behind me, breathing down my neck. It’s time we all help each other get through this. We aren’t asking for much, just some space so that we can remain safe.

TommyT 03-14-2020 02:34 PM

Go with him as a golfer, but play or don't play. That way he can ride in his cart and not with someone he doesn't know...

:popcorn:

thelegges 03-14-2020 05:55 PM

If you are high risk, why would you take a chance of leaving your home?

dewilson58 03-14-2020 06:00 PM

When he signs up for golf, have him sign you up as well. Cancel 5 minutes before. He will be by himself.

alwann 03-14-2020 07:50 PM

Single in a cart

The starter was misinformed. Contact The Villages Golf for clarification and to suggest better training/communication for starters and ambassadors.

I don't even ask. I just tell. Often my group will take three carts with two singles because one person is a smoker and the other is a cancer survivor. So long as one cart stays on the cart path or in the rough, it's permitted. Sorry you had a bad experience.

VillagesFlorida 03-14-2020 07:52 PM

He can keep his distance during the game, considering this is an outside sport. Everyone who is playing golf should make every effort to do that for now. Sitting inches away from someone in a golf cart is not safe right now.

kcrazorbackfan 03-14-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida (Post 1727712)
So, hubby went to two championship golf courses yesterday, asking if he could ride by himself in our golf cart while he played. The answer was “No”. He stated that he didn’t feel comfortable sitting so close to another player in these times when anyone might be carrying the virus. It would seem that considering The Villages has shut down much of its entertainment venues that some consideration could be given to those of us who are trying to maintain some semblance of a normal life, yet do all we can to protect ourselves? So, he won’t be playing any of the courses here for the foreseeable future. We are in a high risk group when it comes to this virus and allowing individual carts would be a responsible and sensible thing for The Villages to do. I understand that during normal life and in a perfect world cart traffic is restricted to protect the courses, etc. They might as well just close all of the courses here. Jamming people together in close proximity is exactly what we are being told not to do. Yes, we are isolating at home and keeping a distance from others when we DO have to go out. Today, while picking up two prescriptions at CVS I had to ask the guy in line behind me to back off. He was literally a foot behind me, breathing down my neck. It’s time we all help each other get through this. We aren’t asking for much, just some space so that we can remain safe.

Seriously? I played twice this week and rode solo both times. When I checked in at the starter shack, I told the starter that due to not knowing where the people I was playing with had been or who they have been around, I was riding alone. I also told him I knew the rules of using three carts and that I would stay on the paths and/or the rough. Both starters said ok.

CWGUY 03-14-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida (Post 1727791)
He can keep his distance during the game, considering this is an outside sport. Everyone who is playing golf should make every effort to do that for now. Sitting inches away from someone in a golf cart is not safe right now.

:ohdear: You talked about this more than 8 years ago. Don't give up.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...-course-48632/
Post #7

kcrazorbackfan 03-14-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1727796)
:ohdear: You talked about this more than 8 years ago. Don't give up.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...-course-48632/
Post #7

:bigbow: Good Detective work!

Maybe her "hubby" should only play the Execs and walk while playing so he can keep his "social distance".

Both of them need to realize that sometimes how you approach people dictates the response to them. If someone approaches me with an attitude that their s**t doesn't stink and everything has to be their way, things are not going to go their way.

Maybe they've been approaching people at the golf courses the wrong way for those 8 years. :icon_wink:

CFrance 03-14-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1727793)
Seriously? I played twice this week and rode solo both times. When I checked in at the starter shack, I told the starter that due to not knowing where the people I was playing with had been or who they have been around, I was riding alone. I also told him I knew the rules of using three carts and that I would stay on the paths and/or the rough. Both starters said ok.

I wonder if the difference is you told, not asked. Now OP's husband will have knowledge and confidence to tell them what he is going to do.

Prince4425 03-15-2020 05:34 AM

And that is part of the problem. You just TELL. So you can pick and choose which rules are applicable to you.

Mosells 03-15-2020 05:45 AM

I to was recently at a CVS and the women behind me was exceptionally close. I simply turned around and said, “you’re standing to close I just came back from China on a business trip”. That cleared the line back 6 feet. True story.

finbackwail 03-15-2020 06:06 AM

MisInformation

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida (Post 1727712)

Takes a while for the “word” to filter down. Until further notice, each player is permitted to ride in his/her own cart. All four carts are permitted on the fairway. If anyone tells you differently ask to speak with the facility manager/golf pro.

jedalton 03-15-2020 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1727788)
The starter was misinformed. Contact The Villages Golf for clarification and to suggest better training/communication for starters and ambassadors.

I don't even ask. I just tell. Often my group will take three carts with two singles because one person is a smoker and the other is a cancer survivor. So long as one cart stays on the cart path or in the rough, it's permitted. Sorry you had a bad experience.

happens all the time.

gcanonge 03-15-2020 06:17 AM

I played Palmer yesterday and rode by myself?