Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   House Cleaners and COVID-19 (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/house-cleaners-covid-19-a-303867/)

Buckeyephan 03-15-2020 09:13 AM

House Cleaners and COVID-19

What are thoughts about letting cleaners into homes during this time? Mine are scheduled for Tuesday. Considering still having them come but requiring them to leave their equipment and supplies in their car. Would need to wash their hands immediately and use only my supplies, vacuum and such. Hate to take away the livelihood of two families during this difficult time.

Two Bills 03-15-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyephan (Post 1727932)
What are thoughts about letting cleaners into homes during this time? Mine are scheduled for Tuesday. Considering still having them come but requiring them to leave their equipment and supplies in their car. Would need to wash their hands immediately and use only my supplies, vacuum and such. Hate to take away the livelihood of two families during this difficult time.

If they are infected, their clothes would still be contaminated even if washing their hands, in which case they would still contaminate your equipment.
Catch 22.
Why not be straight up with them and tell them your fear, then pay them for this week, as a show of good faith, but not let them clean, and say you will notify them when you will start using them again.
They do say that after six months dust does not get any worse!!

claricecolin 03-15-2020 10:00 AM

That sounds reasonable if you are comfortable with that. As long as everyone in your household is well and they are well the risk should be low.

Boomer 03-15-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyephan (Post 1727932)
- - - - - - - - - - Hate to take away the livelihood of two families during this difficult time.

I would do my own cleaning but I definitely would pay those who clean for me.

It is something we can do to help hardworking people we know and depend on who are bearing so much more risk than most of us can imagine. The money we will not even miss could make a big difference.

These are surreal times during which we will learn more each day about who we really are — and who others really are. Knowing we quietly did “the right thing” by acting with compassion will feel good. I guarantee it. :)

One of my favorite sayings about money is, “Money is like manure. If it piles up it stinks. To do any good, it must be spread around.”

Yung Dum 03-15-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1728002)

It is something we can do to help hardworking people we know and depend on who are bearing so much more risk than most of us can imagine. The money we will not even miss could make a big difference.

These are surreal times during which we will learn more each day about who we really are — and who others really are. Knowing we quietly did “the right thing” by acting with compassion will feel good. I guarantee it. :)

One of my favorite sayings about money is, “Money is like manure. If it piles up it stinks. To do any good, it must be spread around.”

I like that saying. It should also be spread around.

Barefoot 03-15-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

These are surreal times during which we will learn more each day about who we really are — and who others really are. Knowing we quietly did “the right thing” by acting with compassion will feel good. I guarantee it.

:agree:

Lblueocala 03-16-2020 05:32 AM

No, they are going from house to house I can guarantee you they are NOT terminally decontaminating themselves or their equipment from house to house. A major way to spread the virus. Suck it up and do your own cleaning the best you can, don’t bring the bug inside your space. LBlue, RN

Texased 03-16-2020 07:08 AM

It is sad that folks will now have to learn to clean their own homes and learn how to cook.

jarodrig 03-16-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texased (Post 1728241)
It is sad that folks will now have to learn to clean their own homes and learn how to cook.

I know you are joking 😂

But as we all can attest to , we’ve done all the cooking and cleaning (and more) during most of our adult life and now that we’re “retired” , it’s nice to have things done for us if we can afford it ! 😊

sandybeachgal 03-16-2020 08:13 AM

Common Sense

Quote:

Intelligent, compassionate, common-sense reply. Very well stated.

davem4616 03-16-2020 06:45 PM

we need to all practice social distancing....this includes eliminating the service people that come into our homes

this is one of those times in life when we all need to just put our 'big boy' and 'big girl' pants on and fend for ourselves

yup, start cooking at home again...yup use the vacuum and the dust pan yourself...let the windows go for months, who cares

we can help our less fortunate neighbors that live outside TV and provide all the labor needed to make things work in TV's by taking advantage of the 'buy-one-get-one' and the '2 for 1' sale items at the grocery stores....I encourage you to pick these items up and donate the second item to a local food bank....many of these folks live week to week, and this whole shut down may last for months....if we all do this it will be a huge boon to the local food bank pantries

jarodrig 03-16-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem4616 (Post 1728594)
we need to all practice social distancing....this includes eliminating the service people that come into our homes

this is one of those times in life when we all need to just put our 'big boy' and 'big girl' pants on and fend for ourselves

yup, start cooking at home again...yup use the vacuum and the dust pan yourself...let the windows go for months, who cares

we can help our less fortunate neighbors that live outside TV and provide all the labor needed to make things work in TV's by taking advantage of the 'buy-one-get-one' and the '2 for 1' sale items at the grocery stores....I encourage you to pick these items up and donate the second item to a local food bank....many of these folks live week to week, and this whole shut down may last for months....if we all do this it will be a huge boon to the local food bank pantries

Very well stated......

ColdNoMore 03-16-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

We need about 65 Million more people...just like you.

:eclipsee_gold_cup:...FAN.