Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Cooking with electric (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/cooking-electric-303875/)

catlady1955@aol.com 03-15-2020 11:37 AM

Cooking with electric

Can anyone please give me advice on cooking with electricity. Tuesday I want to cook a corned beef in the same aluminum pot that I and my mom before me always used. I read aluminum is OK on electric cook tops but the pot should be flat. My pot is not. Does anyone know if this will be a problem?

villagetinker 03-15-2020 11:48 AM

You will get uneven heating, I have had to slightly 'adjust' a couple of pans so they were flat for even heating. If you have sufficient liquid in the pot, you MIGHT be OK, but I would stir more often.

retiredguy123 03-15-2020 12:34 PM

I would buy a new pot with a flat bottom, especially if the pot you have is not "cast" aluminum. I think they are much better than sheet aluminum.

catlady1955@aol.com 03-15-2020 12:48 PM

Thanks for the input

catlady1955@aol.com 03-15-2020 12:49 PM

Maybe you’re right

polaris 03-15-2020 02:56 PM

Have you considered using the oven? I alway cook my corned beef in the oven at 350 for about 2-3 hours depending on size and then add the vegetables for another 1.5 hours. There is some lifting involved before during and after so that might be a consideration for you. But it really comes out tender and juicy this way and you could still use your traditional pan. Good luck!

tophcfa 03-15-2020 06:18 PM

Will work just fine. The uneven pot will take longer to heat as there is less surface contacting the electric burner, and the pot will rock and roll a bit when the water is boiling, but the corn beef will come out just as good. Put the pot on one of the back burners just to be sure it doesn’t rock and roll off the stove. Don’t forget the cabbage and brown mustard. Gotta love the St Patty’s day CB and Cabbage, and whatever you do, don’t forget the Guinness.

asianthree 03-15-2020 06:58 PM

Is it a smooth top, or regular stove. If it’s a smooth top, yes you can still use, since you are not browning, and just using liquid.

catlady1955@aol.com 03-16-2020 05:29 AM

Thank you all

Thanks everyone for the help.
Looking forward to my first St Patrick’s Day in TV

pmiceli 03-16-2020 05:29 AM

If your stovetop is flat, it shouldn’t be a problem. If raised burners, it could be a problem. Electric is the same as gas. The settings of low, medium and high are just like turned a gas flame to low, medium or high. I cooked on a gas range for over 30 years and it was very easy to convert to electric down here. The one thing I learned though is to make sure which burner is on. It will glow red. Sometimes I turn on the wrong burner. Good luck!

konnarock 03-16-2020 05:57 AM

It needs to be flat so you get the best heat. Also you don’t want to cause an excess heat pocket under the pot, which can damage to top of your stove. Best trick to see if your pot will work is to turn it upside down and spin a ruler on it. You look for no warbles or spaces.

Dlbonivich 03-16-2020 06:14 AM

I use the crockpot on high for 3 hours. Add veggies last 1.5 hours. It is perfect.

Bridget Staunton 03-16-2020 07:31 AM

Corned Beef

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlady1955@aol.com (Post 1727997)
Can anyone please give me advice on cooking with electricity. Tuesday I want to cook a corned beef in the same aluminum pot that I and my mom before me always used. I read aluminum is OK on electric cook tops but the pot should be flat. My pot is not. Does anyone know if this will be a problem?

Its amazing how we love Corned Beef for St Paddy's Day, myself included. In Ireland they never eat Corned Beef except the processed packaged one. We came up with idea in the US and I am glad we did

Kilmacowen 03-16-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridget Eichaker (Post 1728263)
Its amazing how we love Corned Beef for St Paddy's Day, myself included. In Ireland they never eat Corned Beef except the processed packaged one. We came up with idea in the US and I am glad we did

We always have ham in Ireland and call it "bacon". Hence , it's called bacon and cabbage. Corner beef is an American dish.

PaulUnderwood 03-16-2020 08:36 AM

Use the oven

If the pot has a cover cook it in your oven place corned beef in the pot cover corned beef 3/4 with water I add 1/2 cup of cider vinegar and 1/4 cup of brown sugar plus spices supplied with corned beef cook for approx 3 hours at 300 degrees. Remove corned beef add veggies and water as needed and finish on top of the stove.