Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Speeding golf cart (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/speeding-golf-cart-303898/)

NJRICHARD 03-16-2020 07:04 AM

Speeding golf cart

I thought the golf carts were set to go 20-21mph. While driving at that speed (which I find is just fine) another cart approached me from behind and obviously was in a BIG rush as he was on my tail....at the first opportunity he drove very fast past me (I gave him the one finger salute) and I knew he was going a lot faster than 20 mph. At the next crossing Mr. Speedy came to a stop and I came up behind him and got a lot closer than I normally would to give him an indication I was not pleased with his driving. He naturally sped off at his first opportunity. What is the ruling on what speed the golf carts are allowed to go?

NJRichard

golfing eagles 03-16-2020 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJRICHARD (Post 1728239)
I thought the golf carts were set to go 20-21mph. While driving at that speed (which I find is just fine) another cart approached me from behind and obviously was in a BIG rush as he was on my tail....at the first opportunity he drove very fast past me (I gave him the one finger salute) and I knew he was going a lot faster than 20 mph. At the next crossing Mr. Speedy came to a stop and I came up behind him and got a lot closer than I normally would to give him an indication I was not pleased with his driving. He naturally sped off at his first opportunity. What is the ruling on what speed the golf carts are allowed to go?

NJRichard

According to Florida law, 19.9 mph. Over that you must make certain modifications and register it as a LSV, which allows you to go 25 mph, and drive on roadways with a speed limit of no more than 35 mph (if you are suicidal, IMHO).
However, if you try to appoint yourself as the speed monitor and react to every incident of excessive golf cart speed, you will only drive yourself nuts. After all, why do you care if someone passes you in a hurry? He will be the one facing huge fines if he gets caught by a legitimate LEO.

CWGUY 03-16-2020 07:11 AM

Quote:

NJRichard

:gc: The Golf cart Safety Clinic is held at the Colony Recreation Center at 9:00 AM on the third (3rd) Wednesday Morning of each month.

karostay 03-16-2020 07:19 AM

The ruling is as follows :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:
I've seen a few and should say very few attempts slow violators down

Regor 03-16-2020 07:23 AM

Most cars can go over 100 MPH. Highest speed limit I have seen has been 80. So what if someone has a fast cart? I get passed all the time.

tophcfa 03-16-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

NJRichard

Perhaps the driver just herd that Walmart got in a shipment of toilet paper?

karostay 03-16-2020 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1728333)
Perhaps the driver just herd that Walmart got in a shipment of toilet paper?

Make sense to me as to why the A hole drove as fast as they could

VApeople 03-16-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regor (Post 1728255)
Most cars can go over 100 MPH. Highest speed limit I have seen has been 80. So what if someone has a fast cart? I get passed all the time.

I agree.

I am a slow driver and I am used to being passed by other cars who are exceeding the speed limit. It doesn't bother me at all.

VApeople 03-16-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

What is the ruling on what speed the golf carts are allowed to go?

On our multi-modal paths, I doubt there is any speed limit.

Every driver has to look out for themselves.

Does anyone know of a golf cart accident on the MMPs where the police were involved?

jeriteri 03-16-2020 10:20 AM

Golf Cart Speed

Quote:

NJRichard

It doesn't matter what the speed limit or the law states these Big Shots are going to raise the speed on their carts just to be 1 up on all the rest. For whatever reason they need that above all feeling in order to get through life. So just ignore if you can, no need to get stressed over it because it will never change for some. Thank you.

sail33or 03-16-2020 11:37 AM

I can get my bike up to 40 MPH pedaling in high gear for a few minutes before my legs give out. And bikes are a form of multi-modal transportation. Also I used to be able to run 23 MPH(short sprint) so I could pass a golf cart going 20 MPH. So speed is relative.

Although illogical, it does bother me when my 21.5 MPH Cart is passed by another cart. EGO MAN THING. I know the other guy has just turned his throttle screw more than mine but men like to race anything you know.

VApeople 03-16-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail33or (Post 1728406)
men like to race anything you know.

Ain't that the truth!

In a Road&Track magazine, I saw a photo of Lamborghinis racing. However these were not ultra-high performance cars - they were tractors.

I read that Mr. Lamborghini made his money by manufacturing tractors and then bought a Ferrari. He found a problem with the car and complained to Enzo Ferrari, who told him, "All you know about is tractors". That upset Mr. L, so he said he would make a car better than Ferrari.

You gotta love the Italians.

twoplanekid 03-16-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1728355)
On our multi-modal paths, I doubt there is any speed limit.

Every driver has to look out for themselves.

Does anyone know of a golf cart accident on the MMPs where the police were involved?

from the District web site -> PDF Viewer

in the above pdf " If the districts were to adopt rules for use of the multi-modal paths, such as speed limits, or types of conveyance usage, then the method of enforcement would be an issue.Community Development Districts do not possess any law enforcement powers."

Thus, I would believe that there is no adopted or enforceable speed limit on the multi-modal paths in the Villages. However, when operating in the golf cart lanes on the county road system there is a speed limit of 19.9 that can be enforced. Weird!

ureout 03-16-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

NJRichard

WOW .. I've been passed and have passed other carts many times..
as far as the 1 finger salute , I'm from NY we consider that a badge of honor..

BTW you may want to consider anger mgmt. classes because sometime you may give the wrong person the finger and then you even came up real close to his bumper to show you weren't pleased.. must be a NJ thing...lol

Rapscallion St Croix 03-16-2020 01:58 PM

Reporting that one encountered a speeding golf cart in The Villages is like reporting that it got hot on a July day in Death Valley.