Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   First confirmed COVID-19 case in Lake County (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/first-confirmed-covid-19-case-lake-county-303921/)

Todayscoolfacts 03-16-2020 03:15 PM

First confirmed COVID-19 case in Lake County

Just saw on the news that a woman in the Lady Lake area was tested positive for coronavirus. The Florida Department of Health say her case is travel related. Stay healthy everyone!

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-16-2020 03:44 PM

131 confirmed cases now, including 1 in Lake County. Quite a significant difference from 14 cases, just 5 days ago.

Graspher 03-16-2020 04:15 PM

It’s upon us...

B767drvr 03-16-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1728507)
131 confirmed cases now, including 1 in Lake County. Quite a significant difference from 14 cases, just 5 days ago.

... up to 155 now. IMHO, every hour the administration delays a nationwide quarantine is another hour the virus spreads.

If everyone quarantined immediately, this would effectively end in a matter of weeks with the virus dying out. These half measures of restaurant partial closures, etc... simply extend the misery and ultimately increase the overall spread and number of deaths.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, it appears we're choosing to follow the Italian model of spread and death. Eventually, when the numbers are high enough, the administration will make the hard choice to order a nationwide mandatory quarantine.

golfing eagles 03-16-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B767drvr (Post 1728550)
... up to 155 now. IMHO, every hour the administration delays a nationwide quarantine is another hour the virus spreads.

If everyone quarantined immediately, this would effectively end in a matter of weeks with the virus dying out. These half measures of restaurant partial closures, etc... simply extend the misery and ultimately increase the overall spread and number of deaths.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, it appears we're choosing to follow the Italian model of spread and death. Eventually, when the numbers are high enough, the administration will make the hard choice to order a nationwide mandatory quarantine.

Hmmmm……..Quarantine 330,000,000 individuals because of 3,487 cases and 63 deaths nationwide?? I suppose that is one point of view, but in that case why don't we quarantine 330,000,000 every year from Dec-April for the 40,000,000 cases and 36.000 deaths from influenza
Now, if we over-react and drive the nation or the world into a global depression, how many MILLIONS of lives will that take?

Please don't apply for the jobs of national health advisor, surgeon general, or director of the CDC

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-16-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

You're comparing a country with 60.5 million people occupying 116.5 thousand square miles, with a country with 327 million who occupy 3.8 million square miles.

In addition, Italy's square mileage is comparable to the size of Arizona. But its population is comparable to that of California and Florida *combined*. There are more people per square mile in Italy than there are in the USA.

The two countries can't possibly treat their situation identically. It just isn't possible to do.

manaboutown 03-16-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

The Italian model started with Chinese investors buying up much of the leather and textile businesses located in Northern Italy. Then the Italians allowed about 100,000 Chinese from the Wuhan area to work in Northern Italy at these facilities. The Italians even established nonstop flights between Milan and Wuhan. When this virus started infecting people in the area some nut job Italian politician encouraged Italian folks to "hug a Chinese". It all went downhill from there.

ColdNoMore 03-16-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1728578)
The Italian model started with Chinese investors buying up much of the leather and textile businesses located in Northern Italy. Then the Italians allowed about 100,000 Chinese from the Wuhan area to work in Northern Italy at these facilities. The Italians even established nonstop flights between Milan and Wuhan. When this virus started infecting people in the area some nut job Italian politician encouraged Italian folks to "hug a Chinese". It all went downhill from there.

A legitimate link/proof on this?

Please don't say...you used this. :ohdear:

Twitter

P.S. Read the comments about it being fake news. :oops:

GoodLife 03-16-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1728588)
A legitimate link/proof on this?

Please don't say...you used this. :ohdear:

Twitter

P.S. Read the comments about it being fake news. :oops:

The Chinese Workers Who Assemble Designer Bags in Tuscany | The New Yorker

ColdNoMore 03-16-2020 06:59 PM

As for the first case nearby, it would take a small miracle for us here in TV...NOT to exceed the national average infection & fatality rate.

Sadly, we have most of the ingredients...for it to get bad here.

1. A lot of unhealthy elderly folks.

2. Lots of folks who take cruises and travel in their retirement years.

3. Lots of folks who are socially active with others...that meet the above criteria.

Certainly not saying the sky is falling or anything is guaranteed/imminent here by any means, but here's hoping we get plenty of effective tests in our community and take the suggested & necessary precautions...STAT!
:(

ColdNoMore 03-16-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1728603)

I guess I missed it, where legitimate news sources said Tuscany....was one of the first or worst areas.

GoodLife 03-16-2020 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
click to enlarge

Attachment 83220

B767drvr 03-16-2020 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1728565)

Please don't apply for the jobs of national health advisor, surgeon general, or director of the CDC

Americans "should be prepared that they're going to have to hunker down significantly more than we as a country are doing" to fight the growing COVID-19 outbreak, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Sunday on NBC News' "Meet the Press."

Asked whether the U.S. should consider a 14-day national shutdown similar to those in Europe, he said: "I would prefer as much as we possibly could. I think we should really be overly aggressive and get criticized for overreacting."

Hey Doc. Good to hear from you. Ever notice when you disagree with someone's opinion you always tag on a snide little putdown? Just curious why you do that? I have my thoughts...

ColdNoMore 03-16-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1728607)
click to enlarge

Attachment 83220

So 100 out of over 7,300...was in the Tuscany area? :oops:

Ritabob 03-16-2020 07:26 PM

I can't believe the hysteria this virus is causing. The end of the world must be coming.