Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Additional golfing precautions because of coronavirus (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/additional-golfing-precautions-because-coronavirus-303926/)

Jeff5115 03-16-2020 05:31 PM

Additional golfing precautions because of coronavirus

A number of courses outside of The Villages have taken precautions to prevent the spread of the virus. Such simple things as requesting flags not to be removed, all sand trap rakes being removed and a free drop outside of the trap, no sharing of sand bottles etc.

Is it time for The Villages to adopt similar precautions?

Or given the fact that the CDC now recommends groups of no larger than 10, is it time to stop playing golf or perhaps close the courses?

Rapscallion St Croix 03-16-2020 05:40 PM

The first golf-related incident here will probably take place on the final hole via a handshake.

ColdNoMore 03-16-2020 05:40 PM

I vote for any putt within 75'...is a "gimmee."

I never miss putts within that distance anyway, so it will save me from reaching down into the cup...where other hands have been.

:D

ColdNoMore 03-16-2020 05:46 PM

I heard a thoughtful guy say the other day..."With this virus thing going around, I'm going to stop licking my balls."

"Not only do I not want to pass on anything to others reaching in the cup...my back is also starting to hurt."

:1rotfl:...:1rotfl:

JoMar 03-16-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff5115 (Post 1728546)
A number of courses outside of The Villages have taken precautions to prevent the spread of the virus. Such simple things as requesting flags not to be removed, all sand trap rakes being removed and a free drop outside of the trap, no sharing of sand bottles etc.

Or given the fact that the CDC now recommends groups of no larger than 10, is it time to stop playing golf or perhaps close the courses?

Those "safeguards" are in your control. Why don't you have your group agree to do them. Most in our groups carry hand sanitizer and use it often, can't remember the last time we pulled a pin. If someone in your group has a ball retriever use it to get the ball out of the traps.You have some control. Or don't play.

tophcfa 03-16-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

We are good to go with golfing since golfing tradition limits the gatherings to groups of four. And since we use our own carts we don’t have to worry about disinfecting a rental cart. Now if we can just pay for our green fees online and flash our ID’s to the starter we won’t have to go into the pro shop either. It’s all good : ). Swing on my friends

Topspinmo 03-16-2020 06:24 PM

Maybe villages needs to close the golf courses? Or just wear the other glove 🧤. :duck:

karostay 03-16-2020 06:50 PM

Don't rake the traps you don't want germs from the rake...Oh Wait silly me no one rakes any way
Don't remove flag to retrieve your ball just jam your putter in yank it out...Silly me again that what they do now
Ok were safe on the course

rustyp 03-16-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Excellent post. I have self quarantined but still playing golf. I got into a sand trap yesterday (oh what's new) and the thought of touching the handle of the rake immediately struck me. Now there will be those that say just don't touch your face and wash your hands after play but I read the average person touches their face over 1000 times per day. Impossible to not touch your face before the round is done - go ahead I dare you to try.

NJRICHARD 03-17-2020 05:03 AM

The sand trap rake and the flag pin just MAY be a place to spread the virus.....sounds excessive....so is this virus. These obvious precautions are a reminder of how we now have to act in ALL areas. Remember 'older' people are the one's this virus attacks...Because there are NOT many 'older' people living here at TV!!, we have to look out for them where ever they are!!

Two Bills 03-17-2020 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1728558)
I heard a thoughtful guy say the other day..."With this virus thing going around, I'm going to stop licking my balls."

"Not only do I not want to pass on anything to others reaching in the cup...my back is also starting to hurt."

You want to try using the ball washers.
Now that is really painfull!!

ladyarwen3 03-17-2020 05:17 AM

This thread gave me a smile .... but COVID 19 isnt something to take lightly. We are still golfing. COVID viruses are destroyed in sunlight so i am not too too concerned about handling the rake but I like the idea of a drop zone outside and use the ball retriever to get it out of the sand.
I think we should all play with Yogi (Berra) rules .... on the green ?? IN THE HOLE hahahaha

ColdNoMore 03-17-2020 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyarwen3 (Post 1728672)
This thread gave me a smile .... but COVID 19 isnt something to take lightly. We are still golfing. COVID viruses are destroyed in sunlight so i am not too too concerned about handling the rake but I like the idea of a drop zone outside and use the ball retriever to get it out of the sand.
I think we should all play with Yogi (Berra) rules .... on the green ?? IN THE HOLE hahahaha

Where in the world did you hear... "COVID viruses are destroyed in sunlight?" :oops:

manhattan 03-17-2020 06:04 AM

Golf

Considering all of our entertainment and other amenities that we pay for our closed lets ask for the championship golf rates be moved to summer rates now. Allow us to be active and more affordable for most of us.

mydavid 03-17-2020 06:16 AM

your saying you never miss a putt of 75 foot, give me a brake.