Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Music (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/)
-   -   I didn't know Jefferson Airplane beat the Beatles to this... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/i-didnt-know-jefferson-airplane-beat-beatles-303976/)

LiverpoolWalrus 03-17-2020 10:11 PM

I didn't know Jefferson Airplane beat the Beatles to this...

Jefferson Airplane - Jefferson Airplane Rooftop Performance | Facebook

rockandroller 03-18-2020 06:19 AM

Very cool, you made my day. :a040:

polaris 03-18-2020 07:21 AM

I’ve never seen this before. One of my favorite bands. Thanks!

LI SNOWBIRD 03-18-2020 08:53 AM

Also one of my favorite bands--thanks

blueash 03-18-2020 10:25 AM

For those who like a bit more information, this rooftop performance was done for a movie being filmed by Jean Luc Godard. Actor Rip Torn was in the movie and he is seen wearing the scarf and being arrested at the end. From the NY Times report on the incident,

In Which a Filmmaker Discovers the Evil City
By RENATA ADLER
New York Times ; Nov 20, 1968; pg. 42

"Two stars of the movie- Rip Torn ...and Paula Matter, wrapped in a white sheet- were perched dangerously upon the sill of a bedroom window on the ninth floor of the hotel. They were supposed to be waking up to the sound of music on the roof....
In the middle of the second song, a policeman appeared on the roof and ordered the music to stop... soon two other policemen loomed and ultimately there were five...
.. Mr Torn and Miss Matter suddenly appeared on the roof and the policemen retired briefly. The Airplane began "Do you want somebody to love". There were some angry words and some pushing and Mr Torn and Mr McMullin were placed under arrest...
At the precinct Mr McMullin [he was chairman of the business making the movie] said he had not expected the sound to be so loud. "And if it was we thought people would like it"
The charges eventually were reduced to summonses, one for Mr Torn (harassment) and three for Mc Mullin (sound device, movie production, unnecessary noise). "Wear them in good health," an officer said

LiverpoolWalrus 03-19-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 1729438)
For those who like a bit more information, this rooftop performance was done for a movie being filmed by Jean Luc Godard. Actor Rip Torn was in the movie and he is seen wearing the scarf and being arrested at the end. From the NY Times report on the incident,

By RENATA ADLER

"Two stars of the movie- Rip Torn ...and Paula Matter, wrapped in a white sheet- were perched dangerously upon the sill of a bedroom window on the ninth floor of the hotel. They were supposed to be waking up to the sound of music on the roof....
In the middle of the second song, a policeman appeared on the roof and ordered the music to stop... soon two other policemen loomed and ultimately there were five...
.. Mr Torn and Miss Matter suddenly appeared on the roof and the policemen retired briefly. The Airplane began "Do you want somebody to love". There were some angry words and some pushing and Mr Torn and Mr McMullin were placed under arrest...
At the precinct Mr McMullin [he was chairman of the business making the movie] said he had not expected the sound to be so loud. "And if it was we thought people would like it"
The charges eventually were reduced to summonses, one for Mr Torn (harassment) and three for Mc Mullin (sound device, movie production, unnecessary noise). "Wear them in good health," an officer said

I'm glad the Airplane were not prosecuted. But I wonder if the Beatles got the idea from Grace and company?!?

Chi-Town 03-19-2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 1729438)

By RENATA ADLER

Excellent follow up.