Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Travel north (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/travel-north-304066/)

P A Paul 03-19-2020 01:01 PM

Travel north

Has anyone heard about car travel north? Facilities, etc.

runkcrun 03-19-2020 02:06 PM

2 sets of my in laws left yesterday for Michigan. Pretty smooth sailing after getting out of TV area. There were hotels open. Did not ask about rest areas.

NotGolfer 03-19-2020 02:16 PM

Read on another social media site to check ahead. Rest rooms (probably in some) rest stops aren't open and many restaurants only adhere to carry out. Haven't heard this from anyone I know however. Also heard that the Interstate was pretty packed.

oldtimes 03-19-2020 02:49 PM

I read that rest areas in PA were closed but have not heard of any other states yet.

tophcfa 03-19-2020 03:42 PM

Probably had to close all the restrooms because all the toilet paper disappeared?

rwfisher1969 03-19-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P A Paul (Post 1730135)

I just drove from Orlando to Buffalo yesterday and today. 95 moved along pretty good until it became 2 lanes in South Carolina. Then took I 26 and it thinned out. Hotels are open as well as gas stations. Restaurants are mostly in Take Out mode only. Rest areas in Pennsylvania are all closed.

rwfisher1969 03-19-2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtimes (Post 1730202)
I read that rest areas in PA were closed but have not heard of any other states yet.

We only found the ones in PA closed. all others were open , but crowded.

njbchbum 03-19-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtimes (Post 1730202)

PA TPK rest area closure rescinded somewhat...Gov gave no thought to the needs of the truckers delivering/transferring groceries, medical supplies, etc! Last I read PA DOT was opening rest areas for truckers to sleep and having porta-johns delivered rather than open rest room bldgs! When hand washing is more important today than ever!!!!! Who in PA voter for that guy???????

As of 5pm approx today:
PennDOT, turnpike reopen some rest areas amid trucker complaints - News - Ellwood City Ledger - Ellwood City, PA

njbchbum 03-19-2020 04:41 PM

Leaving the Villages or have guests arriving? You might find travel info for I-95 at this site: Everything for the I-95 Traveler | I-95 Exit Guide
Can't vouch for info timeliness but did find this item reGeorgia travel there today: Georgia Rest Areas Cut Back Services to Combat COVID-19 Threat

From that website: "Traveling another route? Visit our growing family of exit guides: I-4 Exit Guide, I-5 Exit Guide, I-10 Exit Guide , and I-75 Exit Guide." You can link directly to the other guides from that Georgia info page.

Lclanthier 03-20-2020 05:41 AM

Husband left TV yesterday for NY (father is gravely ill). He said traffic on 95 was horrible. Didn’t hit closed rest areas yet but only got to NC so far.

Suzieque 03-20-2020 06:51 AM

We're heading to Wisconsin taking hwy 75, 24, 57. Rest stops in Florida were very clean. Georgia's were good too. We only came upon one where the lobby was closed but the bathrooms were open. Be warned, none of them have paper towels for you to open the door when going out. Funny thing is, everyone is walking in carrying their disinfecting wipes. No problem with gas or McDonalds or motels.

mcsherman59@gmail.com 03-20-2020 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P A Paul (Post 1730135)

We just drove from the Villages to Canada, travelled up 95 to Richmond VA,then over to 81, over to Boston 295 and to Maine. Traffic was busy in Florida /Georgia, then not bad through PA etc. Gas stations open, most restaurants closed except drive through, . I would advise booking hotels in advance, some threatening to close ,laying off staff etc. Border crossing into Canada easy, they asked medical questions and told us we have to self quarantine for 14 days. Good luck.

Juliev263 03-20-2020 07:11 AM

On way to WI. One rest stop had no loitering signs and caution take over benches and water fountain. All doors were propped open and toilets, sinks automatic. Other rest stops we used a napkin to touch the few things needed. Didn’t use hotels to take anymore risk than we needed to. Stopped from 11pm-5am to get a bit of rest on our car. Packed own food for 20 hour ride as to avoid reatraunts completely.

Drdoug49 03-20-2020 07:43 AM

We were planning to leave on the last day of April for New England, now thinking to leave a week earlier to avoid heavy traffic

MandoMan 03-20-2020 08:43 AM

This morning I-78 was nearly all trucks. Very light traffic. Yesterday my girlfriend drove from where she lives in western New Jersey into Manhattan and parked right in front of her bank downtown in 90 minutes. That would normally take her 2 1/2 hours. It was like early Sunday morning traffic.