Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Please Stay Home! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/please-stay-home-304101/)

rockandroller 03-20-2020 06:36 AM

Please Stay Home!

I dedicate this post to those who are risking their lives to save ours.

https://d3926qxcw0e1bh.cloudfront.ne...eg.max548.jpeg

champion6 03-20-2020 07:32 AM

THANK YOU for posting this!

Villageswimmer 03-20-2020 08:54 AM

Thank you! Daily Sun should post this as headline. Maybe it might finally sink in.

Altavia 03-20-2020 11:43 AM

Be like a house cat for three weeks,

Why We Are Not Doing Enough To Stop the Pandemic (in Simple Math)

Chatbrat 03-20-2020 11:54 AM

staying home is a lot easier than staying underwater from 74-86 days--its a piece of cake

Two Bills 03-20-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1730623)
staying home is a lot easier than staying underwater from 74-86 days--its a piece of cake

Wow! your lungs are good, I can barely hold my breath for 24-36 seconds these days!:icon_wink:

golfjuly11 03-20-2020 12:00 PM

Should send this to The Villages management!!!!!!

Bellaboy 03-20-2020 02:02 PM

As an at risk person, we have been isolating for over a week. I don't think people understand that you can still be a carrier, without having symptoms. The noncompliance here frighten me, and my family.

coffeebean 03-20-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellaboy (Post 1730667)
As an at risk person, we have been isolating for over a week. I don't think people understand that you can still be a carrier, without having symptoms. The noncompliance here frighten me, and my family.

People MUST be aware. We have been informed time and time again by the media that the virus can be shed by someone who is not symptomatic. What is not to understand? That is why social distancing is imperative.

Rapscallion St Croix 03-20-2020 04:47 PM

A possible consequence of deciding to not suffer from being confined to one's home is to suffer from being confined to an ICU.

queasy27 03-20-2020 06:13 PM

It's annoying that, should isolation and other preventive measures work to flatten the curve, some people will take that as proof that the whole pandemic was just overblown nonsense.

Bucco 03-20-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queasy27 (Post 1730747)
It's annoying that, should isolation and other preventive measures work to flatten the curve, some people will take that as proof that the whole pandemic was just overblown nonsense.

Be assured that your prediction will be brought to fruition, no matter the curve,etc.

In the last weeks the desire to disprove this virus has taken great turns, even as we learn more. This is not from a desire or hope based on empathy, I fear.

asianthree 03-20-2020 06:55 PM

The videos that staff makes are better. It’s common practice during high stress times, living at work, to lighten the mood with a five minute skit.

Taltarzac725 03-20-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockandroller (Post 1730419)

I have seen this a lot on Facebook and have shared it as much as possible. Thanks!

I have met many nurses here in the Villages and hope they are safe and not sick.

VApeople 03-20-2020 09:40 PM

We are not just staying home. We are doing what we usually do, but we are avoiding even semi-close contact with other people.

We walked around Hogeye Marsh today and saw a lot of people out enjoying themselves. The singer at Edna's was very good.

ColdNoMore 03-21-2020 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queasy27 (Post 1730747)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1730759)
Be assured that your prediction will be brought to fruition, no matter the curve,etc.

In the last weeks the desire to disprove this virus has taken great turns, even as we learn more. This is not from a desire or hope based on empathy, I fear.

YEP...:agree:

Rosebud1949 03-21-2020 07:50 AM

So good to see the A&E folk .... no, I am grafeul for them, the REAL ones, this A&E means those with Attitude and Entitlement.. who are NOT staying home.

sullinr 03-21-2020 07:52 AM

Yes that’s the key that we could all be carriers and have no symptoms. If I have to go out shopping for supplies I wear a buff around my face. You can’t get access to a mask because of supplies, but everyone can put something over their mouth and nose to prevent them from spreading the virus. I’ve had a couple people comment that the buff will not protect me from getting the virus. I always reply it’s not for me it’s for you. everyone should assume that they already have the virus even though they show no symptoms. that way we can help protect our family and friends from ourselves

Mendy 03-21-2020 07:53 AM

Heartbreaking!

Don’t let this happen to us!

Coronavirus: Italy's hardest-hit city wants you to see how COVID-19 is affecting its hospitals | World News | Sky News

Bobcuse 03-21-2020 08:09 AM

Outdoor bar business

We have been cooped up for days so decided to take a ride in our car to see some areas we haven't visited in awhile. As we drove through Brownwood at 3:30 pm yesterday we immediately noticed the outdoor bar at City Fire was full and it appears social distancing was absent there and everyone appeared to be having a good time, both seated and standing directly behind those seated. These are the same people who could be carriers who will frequent the grocery stores when we dash through to get needed weekly supplies. Very disturbing. Maybe that is considered curbside service?

CFrance 03-21-2020 08:20 AM

People should listen to this epidemiologist talk about what we need to do. https://tinyurl.com/rf42oly
Part of what she said: “It’s really hard to feel like you’re saving the world when you’re watching Netflix from your couch. But if we do this right, nothing happens,” Landon said. “A successful shelter-in-place means you’re going to feel like it was all for nothing, and you’d be right: Because nothing means that nothing happened to your family. And that’s what we’re going for here.”

Bay Kid 03-21-2020 08:40 AM

Get outside. Take walks in the neighborhood. Wave to neighbors. Breath fresh air. Enjoy the sun. Stay healthy.

Trishakaye 03-21-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1730799)
We are not just staying home. We are doing what we usually do, but we are avoiding even semi-close contact with other people.

We walked around Hogeye Marsh today and saw a lot of people out enjoying themselves. The singer at Edna's was very good.

We’re staying away from crowds but I haven’t read anything that indicates fresh air is a no-no right now.

Altavia 03-21-2020 09:14 AM

Here's an ER Doc chat group with reports of what it is like for our medical hero's working the front line.

I'''m Ali Raja, MD and Shuhan He, MD emergency physicians from Mass General Hospital/Harvard Medical School. We'''re back to report from the front lines of COVID-19. Let'''s talk PPE, new updates & science, testing, quarantine and more. AMA : Coronavirus

Indydealmaker 03-21-2020 10:08 AM

Exemplary!

ColdNoMore 03-21-2020 11:12 AM

:1rotfl:

Hal W Kangas - 😂😂😂

jklfairwin 03-21-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockandroller (Post 1730419)

Medical experts have said that going outside for sun and exercise actually is healthy and improves immunity as long as people stay at least 2 meters apart.

bargee 03-21-2020 11:22 AM

Pitch in

If you are self isolating you are a soldier,if you are not you are the enemy

coffeebean 03-21-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sullinr (Post 1730913)
Yes that’s the key that we could all be carriers and have no symptoms. If I have to go out shopping for supplies I wear a buff around my face. You can’t get access to a mask because of supplies, but everyone can put something over their mouth and nose to prevent them from spreading the virus. I’ve had a couple people comment that the buff will not protect me from getting the virus. I always reply it’s not for me it’s for you. everyone should assume that they already have the virus even though they show no symptoms. that way we can help protect our family and friends from ourselves

The virus is spread by someone coughing or sneezing via droplets that are spewed from their nose or mouth. Normal breathing does not enable the virus to shed. Anyone who is coughing or sneezing should not go out in public places.

I was next in line for the register at Target two days ago. The older woman who was working the register suddenly started to cough up a storm and she was coughing into the back of her blue gloved hand. Luckily I had stayed back at least six feet when the person before me was being rung up. I backed up with my cart and told her that I was sorry but I was going to another register. As I was making a B Line away from this woman, she rolled her eyes at me and stated she just has allergies. She acted as though I was the bad guy.

dwhite5773 03-21-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfjuly11 (Post 1730625)
Should send this to The Villages management!!!!!!

Not The Villages management, the State of Florida management!! But hey, now they’ll have a few more bucks from the spring breakers and all the idiots that’s packed City Fire for the past 2 weeks to use, for the @/I& is about to hit the fan! Nice job governor!!

snorkey1 03-22-2020 07:57 AM

If you have symptoms you are to contact your doctor but if It is the weekend your doctors office is closed. We are told
not to go ER, call your doctor to get a form signed and directions to the testing areas. One cannot get tested without signed form.
What to do???????????/

LI SNOWBIRD 03-22-2020 10:00 AM

We are hunkering down --we watched "I Am Legend" yesterday, maybe "Contagion" today. Looking forward to Tom Cruise in "War of the Worlds"

Koapaka 03-22-2020 01:27 PM

Israeli doctor in Italy: We no longer help those over 60 - The Jerusalem Post

ColdNoMore 03-22-2020 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just saw this posted on Facebook.

I can't swear to this book's veracity, but apparently something happened...to save the village of Shishmaref.

It's also well documented, that ALL Native American's were hit much harder by this pandemic...than the general European population here in the United States.
:(

JSTOR: Access Check

ColdNoMore 03-22-2020 04:59 PM

Ten myths about the 1918 flu pandemic (click here)

Quote:

Ten Myths About the 1918 Flu Pandemic

The ‘greatest pandemic in history’ was 100 years ago – but many of us still get the basic facts wrong

Pandemic: It’s a scary word.

But the world has seen pandemics before, and worse ones, too.

Consider the influenza pandemic of 1918, often referred to erroneously as the “Spanish flu.”

Misconceptions about it may be fueling unfounded fears about COVID-19, and now is an especially good time to correct them.

In the pandemic of 1918, between 50 and 100 million people are thought to have died, representing as much as 5% of the world’s population. Half a billion people were infected.

Especially remarkable was the 1918 flu’s predilection for taking the lives of otherwise healthy young adults, as opposed to children and the elderly, who usually suffer most. Some have called it the greatest pandemic in history.

The 1918 flu pandemic has been a regular subject of speculation over the last century. Historians and scientists have advanced numerous hypotheses regarding its origin, spread and consequences. As a result, many of us harbor misconceptions about it.

By correcting these 10 myths, we can better understand what actually happened and learn how to prevent and mitigate such disasters in the future.