Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Pink flags on lawn (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/pink-flags-lawn-304134/)

Raybemis1 03-20-2020 07:07 PM

Pink flags on lawn

I came home today and found 2 pink (utility?) flags on my, and neighbors lawn. One in the front and back yard each. You can tell that the sod was raised and reset where the flags are.
Anyone know what this is about, neither of us has called digsafe or anything and there was no note left.
??????

anothersteve 03-20-2020 07:13 PM

Survey flags?
Steve

tophcfa 03-20-2020 07:22 PM

This (or at least something similar) happened to us last summer, an underground Comcast cable line needed to be replaced. They dug up sod about every 25 feet and somehow shot a conduit from hole to hole and then strung the new cable through. It made a little mess, but grew back very quickly and now we can't even notice it.

EdFNJ 03-20-2020 07:56 PM

They did that at my house a few months ago. There was no conduit, just direct burial cable. Some guy came by and by hand using what looked like a garden spade dug a slit in the lawn about 18" at at shot about 100' to the Comcast demarc in back of my house and one house over. They were replacing cable drops. We came home just as he was finishing.

Topspinmo 03-20-2020 09:06 PM

Make sure you run you’re irrigation see if you have leaks. They ruptured mine twice, they are responsible for damage they cause.

tophcfa 03-20-2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1730779)
They did that at my house a few months ago. There was no conduit, just direct burial cable. Some guy came by and by hand using what looked like a garden spade dug a slit in the lawn about 18" at at shot about 100' to the Comcast demarc in back of my house and one house over. They were replacing cable drops. We came home just as he was finishing.

That is to replace the cable drops that go to homes. The Main Cable that services a long run of homes is different and is a more substantial cable that has easements and is run along the back of homes (at least where we live).

karostay 03-21-2020 06:32 AM

Training dogs where to poop by sight recognition

golfing eagles 03-21-2020 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 1730860)
Tied for 'Best Post of the Week' award.

Looks like the moderator broke the tie:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

villagetinker 03-21-2020 07:50 AM

Reybemis1,
Here is the color chart for the little flags:
Utility markings
In the United States, the American Public Works Association (APWA) Uniform Color Codes for temporary marking of underground utilities are listed below:[13]
Red electric power lines, cables, conduit, and lighting cables

Orange telecommunication, alarm or signal lines, cables, or conduit

Yellow natural gas, oil, steam, petroleum, or other gaseous or flammable material

Green sewers and drain lines
Blue drinking water
Purple reclaimed water, irrigation, and slurry lines

Pink temporary survey markings, unknown/unidentified facilities
White proposed excavation limits or route
Some municipalities use the pink paint to make lines and codes on the pavements related to required street improvements such as ramp replacement, asphalt grinding and form injection. These markings are not related to utility locating
(from Wikipedia)

theruizs 03-21-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1730910)
Reybemis1,
Here is the color chart for the little flags:
Utility markings
In the United States, the American Public Works Association (APWA) Uniform Color Codes for temporary marking of underground utilities are listed below:[13]
Red electric power lines, cables, conduit, and lighting cables

Orange telecommunication, alarm or signal lines, cables, or conduit

Yellow natural gas, oil, steam, petroleum, or other gaseous or flammable material

Green sewers and drain lines
Blue drinking water
Purple reclaimed water, irrigation, and slurry lines

Pink temporary survey markings, unknown/unidentified facilities
White proposed excavation limits or route
Some municipalities use the pink paint to make lines and codes on the pavements related to required street improvements such as ramp replacement, asphalt grinding and form injection. These markings are not related to utility locating
(from Wikipedia)

Guess there are no colorblind utility workers.:icon_wink:

tophcfa 03-21-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theruizs (Post 1730927)
Guess there are no colorblind utility workers.:icon_wink:

I think there might be. Every time I flush the toilet the TV comes on.

themarinos 03-21-2020 08:31 AM

Flags

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raybemis1 (Post 1730766)
I came home today and found 2 pink (utility?) flags on my, and neighbors lawn. One in the front and back yard each. You can tell that the sod was raised and reset where the flags are.
Anyone know what this is about, neither of us has called digsafe or anything and there was no note left.
??????

If you have flags and the sod was lifted it sounds like some body surveyed the property
it their was utilities are there you should see a red for power and other colors for the various utilities (ex phone and cable and water)

retiredguy123 03-21-2020 08:41 AM

///

John Harr 03-21-2020 08:53 AM

I think it depend which cable carrier was used

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1730779)

Spectrum did it this way. Since house was originally wired with Comcast cable I have not had the Comcast treatment.

TandHSTAR@AOL.com 03-21-2020 12:12 PM

Call the utility and phone and cable people. One of them should be able to tell you. Can you see how far the sod has been disturbed and where it ends. That will help you determine which service you need to call

stadry 03-21-2020 05:12 PM

you'll likely have better luck calling 811 & asking who requested the undrgrnd utility locating markout

mjpuleo 03-21-2020 05:27 PM

i think we should be notified in advance of anyone infringing on our property for any reason or at least leave a note to inform us what was done

Topspinmo 03-21-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Harr (Post 1730970)
Spectrum did it this way. Since house was originally wired with Comcast cable I have not had the Comcast treatment.

AFTER spectrum contractor runs cable you better check you’re irrigation for leaks they don’t say in the easement boundaries.

Topspinmo 03-21-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjpuleo (Post 1731221)
i think we should be notified in advance of anyone infringing on our property for any reason or at least leave a note to inform us what was done

Not going to happen easements usually 5 foot in front yard 2 foot on sides and 2 foot in back of you’re property and can be more depending locations.