Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Golf courses should be closed? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/golf-courses-should-closed-304196/)

gatorbill1 03-22-2020 08:55 AM

Golf courses should be closed?

What will it take to close down the courses. I don't totally believe that it is safer playing golf that sitting 6 ft away from another diner in a restaurant. I personally made a decision to stop playing until things get sorted out. I seem to be in the minority.

John_W 03-22-2020 08:59 AM

Today Show had a doctor on this morning talking about this very subject. Golf, Tennis, those type sports are safe, he recommended no basketball or football. The Villages already stated if you don't want to touch the flag or touch a rake, that's fine, in fact leaving the flag in is kind of normal now.

karostay 03-22-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1731526)
Today Show had a doctor on this morning talking about this very subject. Golf, Tennis, those type sports are safe, he recommended no basketball or football. The Villages already stated if you don't want to touch the flag or touch a rake, that's fine, in fact leaving the flag in is kind of normal now.

Where's that stated..?
Friend of mine is an ambassador he said he received no notice of that change

birdiebill 03-22-2020 09:29 AM

Also there is no restriction on riding solo in your own cart. We are now playing with four carts per foursome. No water available on the course in the containers at the tees or on the ambassador's carts. Take your own water for hydration.

gatorbill1 03-22-2020 09:32 AM

I did not state that anyone was right or wrong to play. Just stated my decision, maybe too conservative? Remember all doctors are "practicing" medicine.

rustyp 03-22-2020 09:37 AM

The rules are always for the other guy. Yesterday all day I got to watch neighborhood groups congregate after the 18th green and do sociables. Some groups were 4 to 5 foursomes. There in is the problem. Big Brother must shutdown the golf courses because the selfish do not have enough brains to protect themselves.

Bogie Shooter 03-22-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1731569)
The rules are always for the other guy. Yesterday all day I got to watch neighborhood groups congregate after the 18th green and do sociables. Some groups were 4 to 5 foursomes. There in is the problem. Big Brother must shutdown the golf courses because the selfish do not have enough brains to protect themselves.

Or others......

CWGUY 03-22-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorbill1 (Post 1731519)
What will it take to close down the courses. I don't totally believe that it is safer playing golf that sitting 6 ft away from another diner in a restaurant. I personally made a decision to stop playing until things get sorted out. I seem to be in the minority.

:confused: Let me see if I understand this right..... You personally made a decision to stop playing and you don't think anyone else should be afforded the same right. Is that correct? You can do what you want but nobody else can? :faint:

gatorbill1 03-22-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1731589)
:confused: Let me see if I understand this right..... You personally made a decision to stop playing and you don't think anyone else should be afforded the same right. Is that correct? You can do what you want but nobody else can? :faint:

That is NOT what I said. Everyone has the right to make the same decision that I did. I just stated that I seem to be in the minority. Look at men's day on executive courses and it seems to be as many playing as ever on Churchill and de la Vista.

DonH57 03-22-2020 10:25 AM

Our foursome have been following all the suggested non contact guidelines as some people have stated on here from the starters not handling your ID card to not congregating after play. Separate carts, we don't touch each others equipment,flag sticks, or anything else. Bring gloves to handle a sand rake or better yet don't put your balls in the bunkers!

bagboy 03-22-2020 11:00 AM

Let me start by saying I made a mistake. I looked at the Saturday tee sheets for execs on Friday night. I found a nearby course that after 5:15, had two 2 somes booked and all other times open until 6:56pm. I booked a spot for 2 golfers at 6pm. When we arrived there were quite a few carts in the area. I saw the tee sheet as I talked to the starter and there were alot of write ins. I noticed we were paired with a 2 some that called in. I told the starter check us in, X us out or do whatever you had to do, we were not playing with unknown to us people. He was quite ill about us not playing.
Let me head off some of you by saying I'm not special, I don't deserve any favors from anyone. I was just a little surprised to see our district thinking it's okay to pair up strangers with all that is going on. Lesson learned. We will wait until next month or the following to attempt to play. To answer the OP, no I don't think the courses should be closed. We just have to be cautious.

karostay 03-22-2020 11:06 AM

We play same 4 some 2 times a week no strangers we all know each other no reason not to play

rjn5656 03-22-2020 11:18 AM

Golf

I still play, only ride with my wife. Do not socialize with others on the course. Do not touch the flagstick. etc.

Why shouldn't I play?

stan the man 03-22-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagboy (Post 1731620)
Let me start by saying I made a mistake. I looked at the Saturday tee sheets for execs on Friday night. I found a nearby course that after 5:15, had two 2 somes booked and all other times open until 6:56pm. I booked a spot for 2 golfers at 6pm. When we arrived there were quite a few carts in the area. I saw the tee sheet as I talked to the starter and there were alot of write ins. I noticed we were paired with a 2 some that called in. I told the starter check us in, X us out or do whatever you had to do, we were not playing with unknown to us people. He was quite ill about us not playing.
Let me head off some of you by saying I'm not special, I don't deserve any favors from anyone. I was just a little surprised to see our district thinking it's okay to pair up strangers with all that is going on. Lesson learned. We will wait until next month or the following to attempt to play. To answer the OP, no I don't think the courses should be closed. We just have to be cautious.

That was nice of you to give up your slot.

VApeople 03-22-2020 12:33 PM

What do you all think of this idea?

Here's a genius (and hygienic!) new way of cutting golf holes

CWGUY 03-22-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1731681)

:oops: Will you still think it's a genius idea when you hit it with your tee shot? :eek:

ureout 03-22-2020 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=DonH57;1731597]Our foursome have been following all the suggested non contact guidelines as some people have stated on here from the starters not handling your ID card to not congregating after play. Separate carts, we don't touch each others equipment,flag sticks, or anything else. Bring gloves to handle a sand rake or better yet don't put your balls in the bunkers![/QUOTE

especially if they are sweaty

xcaligirl 03-22-2020 12:57 PM

Smart man! Most people do share a cart and it's not 10' wide!! Same with pickle ball, they're sitting on the bench right next to each other. I don't understand how dancing at the squares to WVLG is any different than a band being there but ... that's just me! I would think 'stay in' means STAY IN your homes. But then again there are a lot of VIP's in the Villages...

Mleeja 03-22-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcaligirl (Post 1731698)
Smart man! Most people do share a cart and it's not 10' wide!! Same with pickle ball, they're sitting on the bench right next to each other. I don't understand how dancing at the squares to WVLG is any different than a band being there but ... that's just me! I would think 'stay in' means STAY IN your homes. But then again there are a lot of VIP's in the Villages...

First of all we are not under any type of shelter in place order, yet. The courses have been very good about allowing one person per cart. The one surprise I had was not all executive courses accept credit/debit cards. Handling money is something that should be reduced!

charmed59 03-22-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcaligirl (Post 1731698)

I’ve only seen married couples sharing carts lately. Since they share a bed I’m pretty sure the cart is the least of their worries.

Today, since they started the “bring your own ball” rule at Pickle Ball I never saw more than two people waiting, and they were no where near each other.

If we get a shelter in place order in Florida I’m sure everyone will stay at home. We do not have that order right now.

rustyp 03-22-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1731569)

Wow today was much different. Don't know if it was due to being Sunday or if people are getting the message. I seen no congregations on the 18th green today. Keep up the good work folks.

gadaboutgal 03-22-2020 07:43 PM

Wow-how many are waiting for a shelter in place order to stay in their homes?
The U.S. is now(3/22/2020) #3 in the world for the number of cases; Florida with over a 1000 cases has moved up to #7 in the United States (sort of running neck and neck with # 5 Illinois(1049 cases) and #6 Michigan(1035). Maybe if we all keep to our outside play schedules we can move up the ladder; or just maybe, if we all stay home except for emergencies we can move down the list. Which way would The Villagers like to go?

walterray1 03-22-2020 08:03 PM

You are correct in believing that you are in the minority.

tophcfa 03-22-2020 08:10 PM

I hope the courses do not close. Golf is one of the safest recreation activities still available. People need to be able to do a few things that are fun and relatively safe. Plus the revenue will hopefully help with keeping the courses in good playing conditions. I suspect many of the people who wish the courses were closed are jealous non-golfers who have had their favorite activities canceled.

bob47 03-22-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1731627)
We play same 4 some 2 times a week no strangers we all know each other no reason not to play

It makes no difference to me if the courses are closed or left open for play. I would just like to point out that each person in your foursome has no idea who or how many people the other 3 have been in contact with since the last time you played. And whether or not any of them were exposed to and perhaps infected by the virus.

tophcfa 03-22-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob47 (Post 1731875)
It makes no difference to me if the courses are closed or left open for play. I would just like to point out that each person in your foursome has no idea who or how many people the other 3 have been in contact with since the last time you played. And whether or not any of them were exposed to and perhaps infected by the virus.

Not if I play with my wife in a twosome.

bob47 03-22-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1731878)
Not if I play with my wife in a twosome.

I agree.

EdFNJ 03-22-2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1731627)

You think "knowing someone" protects you from this (or any) communicable disease? You have no idea what stores they were in, what they touched while they were there and who sneezed all over them walking in a parking lot or even if they are a "carrier" with no symptoms. I don't play golf ... but it all should be shut down until this passes. Yes, be afraid.

Topspinmo 03-22-2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1731554)
Where's that stated..?

Old news, weeks ago.

Double Eagle 03-23-2020 12:42 AM

For what it is worth. Some of the courses here have either turned the cups upside down so the ball won't go all the way in the cup. Or, they have wrapped the bottom of the stick with that foam stuff "noodles" are made of . Either way after putting you can pick up your ball without touching anything but the ball. Of course, under the fairly new rule, you don't have to remove the stick anyway.

AOCMVA 03-23-2020 05:52 AM

Thought I'd let you know what extra steps we're doing at our Virginia Golf Course.

We raised the cups about 2 inches so the ball won't go in the cup. You hit the cup, it's considered holed. We have no rakes in traps so there is no need to touch a flag or a rake now.

runkcrun 03-23-2020 06:46 AM

Love it!

I love the idea of the cup sitting up and the ball not dropping into the hole!

If I had a dollar for every time I ringed out of the hole, went half over/half out then on by, or stopped at the edge of the cup, I'd be a par golfer and rich!

This should be done ALL the time!

OR, we could just say, that if you come within a foot of the hole - it's IN!

Nucky 03-23-2020 07:23 AM

How about 25 people packed in a circle near the Starters Shack probably talking about Social Distancing. Unbelievable, Oblivious.

Challenger 03-23-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1731554)
Where's that stated..?

Who needs notice ? Don't touch the pin. Ball in bunker, fish out with a club or your ball retriever and drop no closer to the pin. Saw a suggestion that the golf gods raise the hole to ground level, If your putt touches and part or even roles over, call it in. For the near future, the ultimate score does not matter much (no one here is going to qualify for a pro tour). Important thing is to get out and hit the ball and move around. Handicaps can count later. Common sense= very scarce commodity.

DonH57 03-23-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1732001)
How about 25 people packed in a circle near the Starters Shack probably talking about Social Distancing. Unbelievable, Oblivious.

They're idiots for doing this. You sign in and go back to your cart with your partner and wait your turn. The starters should be making that clear when they sign in which I hope they are doing, but for some instructions go in one ear and out the other.

TimeForChange 03-23-2020 09:16 AM

If you play a championship course you must go into the club house, pull out a credit card or pay cash after showing your Village ID card which the worker handles then the credit card. You are standing in front of a counter, exposing yourself and the worker. (less than six feet). Also there are usually several others at the counter at the same time. I love golf and play only champ courses. I cancelled out this morning and will not play anymore till this thing shows improvement. If we have four or five more cases in TV I look for all the pro shops to close down. I would not work in one and be exposed to people all day long. You don't know if the person just got off a cruise or just returned from NY. You don't know if their grandkids are visiting and they flew down or drove down from a hot spot. Golf is not essential, life is.

Nucky 03-23-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 1732115)
They're idiots for doing this. You sign in and go back to your cart with your partner and wait your turn. The starters should be making that clear when they sign in which I hope they are doing, but for some instructions go in one ear and out the other.

From what our neighbors have told us there is no need at Hilltop or Silver Lake to touch anything at the Shack. Walk up, give the name and go away and wait your turn. The Starters are communicating properly the receivers aren't receiving very well.

It's almost as if some people are resigned that they will catch this virus or just don't care. Think about the other person not only yourself. It is disheartening to see the behavior of people since this entire thing started. I'm not for Golf to stop in any way shape or form. More than ever it is important now to have Golf stay available.

Everybody makes mistakes and maybe what I saw with my own eyes was a blip. God do I wish I could be out there knocking the ball around. I love Golf with all my Fat Little Heart! Have Fun & Be Careful of the Pinheads. I've been watching Old Golf Tournaments on YouTube. Very relaxing. Take it Easy Chi-Chi! :eclipsee_gold_cup:

rsecord 03-23-2020 09:44 AM

We are all adults and know how to be careful, don't take away our only activity left. Play Golf

DonH57 03-23-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1732129)
From what our neighbors have told us there is no need at Hilltop or Silver Lake to touch anything at the Shack. Walk up, give the name and go away and wait your turn. The Starters are communicating properly the receivers aren't receiving very well.

It's almost as if some people are resigned that they will catch this virus or just don't care. Think about the other person not only yourself. It is disheartening to see the behavior of people since this entire thing started. I'm not for Golf to stop in any way shape or form. More than ever it is important now to have Golf stay available.

Everybody makes mistakes and maybe what I saw with my own eyes was a blip. God do I wish I could be out there knocking the ball around. I love Golf with all my Fat Little Heart! Have Fun & Be Careful of the Pinheads. I've been watching Old Golf Tournaments on YouTube. Very relaxing. Take it Easy Chi-Chi! :eclipsee_gold_cup:

True. That's sad some ruin things for others because they feel entitled or they just don't get it but we see that on a normal day here in the bubble.

bassfish 03-23-2020 10:24 AM

They need to stay open so my husband has something to do. Besides they are in their own cart, not close to each other and out in the sun.