Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Neighborhood Social without Gathering (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/neighborhood-social-without-gathering-304212/)

SouthJerseyGirl 03-22-2020 12:17 PM

Neighborhood Social without Gathering

This is an idea that we are going to try in our CYV neighborhood during this quarantine:

I’m sure everyone here is about to go stir crazy with no activities going on. I feel especially sorry for our elderly neighbors who are living alone and getting very little human contact. I’ve thought of an idea that might be fun. Here’s the plan:

One evening a week, (we are doing Fridays at 6 pm,) we have a “Social without Gathering.”

On week 1, all the neighbors living in odd numbered homes pull out their chairs and “happy hour” beverages to the end of their driveways. All the neighbors living in even numbered houses take a walk or bike around the neighborhood (with drinks in hand) and stop to chat with those seated in the driveway - keeping at least 6 feet from everybody. (No dogs because everyone wants to pet them and there could be virus germs on them.)

Then, the following week, reverse it - odd numbers walk, evens sit in the driveway. No sharing of food or drink, just friendly conversation. The walkers can try to limit the visit to 10 minutes or less, keep the distance, and move on to the next house. Of course, those who cannot walk can park themselves in a chair at the driveway each week. We can find out if any of our neighbors need anything (like a roll of TP) that we could provide if we have it.

Neighbors in the driveways can bring out stereos with music! An old fashioned Promenade! Dancing alone in the streets! What do you think???

Polar Bear 03-22-2020 12:30 PM

Sounds cool. How do you spread word to all the neighbors? :)

Madelaine Amee 03-22-2020 02:49 PM

Great idea .... very similar to the old English wartime news reels I have seen, when people would come out onto the streets just to make sure everyone was OK after an air raid. :coolsmiley:

SouthJerseyGirl 03-22-2020 04:23 PM

We have everyone’s emails.

Villageswimmer 03-22-2020 04:46 PM

Nice idea.

1oraleejn 03-22-2020 08:54 PM

GREAT idea!!!

EdFNJ 03-22-2020 10:44 PM

Except it would be wise not to: "bike around the neighborhood (with drinks in hand)" :D :D

Two Bills 03-23-2020 04:50 AM

In some areas of UK, some streets have organised a help system based on red and green squares of carboard place in windows
Green if all OK, Red if help is needed.
Neighbors can then quickly help anyone in need.

stan the man 03-23-2020 05:05 AM

Sound great

Lizziemay 03-23-2020 05:14 AM

It was sent out by email .

JudyLife 03-23-2020 05:30 AM

Brilliant idea! Helps keep spirits up while adhering to the public health advice! Well done

RitzyGypsy 03-23-2020 07:22 AM

What a fabulous idea! Been here 2 months, but haven't had a chance to meet many neighbors. Sure appeals to me!

aeck413 03-23-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthJerseyGirl (Post 1731672)
This is an idea that we are going to try in our CYV neighborhood during this quarantine:

I’m sure everyone here is about to go stir crazy with no activities going on. I feel especially sorry for our elderly neighbors who are living alone and getting very little human contact. I’ve thought of an idea that might be fun. Here’s the plan:

One evening a week, (we are doing Fridays at 6 pm,) we have a “Social without Gathering.”

On week 1, all the neighbors living in odd numbered homes pull out their chairs and “happy hour” beverages to the end of their driveways. All the neighbors living in even numbered houses take a walk or bike around the neighborhood (with drinks in hand) and stop to chat with those seated in the driveway - keeping at least 6 feet from everybody. (No dogs because everyone wants to pet them and there could be virus germs on them.)

Then, the following week, reverse it - odd numbers walk, evens sit in the driveway. No sharing of food or drink, just friendly conversation. The walkers can try to limit the visit to 10 minutes or less, keep the distance, and move on to the next house. Of course, those who cannot walk can park themselves in a chair at the driveway each week. We can find out if any of our neighbors need anything (like a roll of TP) that we could provide if we have it.

Neighbors in the driveways can bring out stereos with music! An old fashioned Promenade! Dancing alone in the streets! What do you think???

Good Morning
My Name is Allen I am in Village of Sanibel I have my own keyboard and amp, and on my block I have played for informal house parties and driveway parties just for fun. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you, and possibly have everybody lighten up and sing oldies doo wop music. Would love to help here please call me 352-633-6120

maama 03-23-2020 08:02 AM

maama

Great idea! If only everyone were taking this as seriously, the curve would flatten a lot quicker. On my nightly walks, I see some doing this, but also see some not observing the social distancing at all. We are ALL supposed to be acting as though we have the virus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthJerseyGirl (Post 1731672)

Becky& 03-23-2020 08:13 AM

We have been walking more and visiting keeping social distance. But this is an even better idea!
I agree 100. Let’s all do it.