Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Governor DeSantis signs executive order regarding flights from NYC area (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/governor-desantis-signs-executive-order-regarding-flights-nyc-area-304266/)

pauld315 03-23-2020 07:00 PM

Governor DeSantis signs executive order regarding flights from NYC area

Governor DeSantis signed an executive order today requiring anybody arriving by air from the NY/NJ area to undergo 2 weeks of self isolation. He clarified that self isolation doesn't mean you are going to stay with family. This is in response to the mass exodus from that area flying to Florida after the stay in place order was authorized by Governor Cuomo of NY. NY and NYC are the hotspot now for the virus.

New Yorkers flying to Florida amid coronavirus outbreak

retiredguy123 03-23-2020 07:21 PM

I don't get it. If you don't want to be isolated, you just rent a car and drive to Florida? Seems like a huge loophole.

kcrazorbackfan 03-23-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauld315 (Post 1732438)
Governor DeSantis signed an executive order today requiring anybody arriving by air from the NY/NJ area to undergo 2 weeks of self isolation. He clarified that self isolation doesn't mean you are going to stay with family. This is in response to the mass exodus from that area flying to Florida after the stay in place order was authorized by Governor Cuomo of NY. NY and NYC are the hotspot now for the virus.

New Yorkers flying to Florida amid coronavirus outbreak

Now that's hilarious (sarcasm here). I really can't picture people from New York/New Jersey following our Governor's order to self isolate. And now what happens to us? We become an even greater hotspot. :mad::mad:

Thank you citizens of New York/New Jersey (more sarcasm)…….

And 3, 2, 1 go...….

EdFNJ 03-23-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1732443)
I don't get it. If you don't want to be isolated, you just rent a car and drive to Florida? Seems like a huge loophole.

LOL, Well, 200-400 can fit in a plane at once vs 4 or 5 in a car. Bit of a difference. Maybe he'll setup a pop-up testing center on the border or simply build a wall and have NY/NJ pay for it. I do like the idea though but the wall would be better and probably work just as well.. :D

Ben Franklin 03-23-2020 11:29 PM

Can you spell Florida? I - T - A - L - Y. Great lockdown, Gub'ner. Self-isolate! LOL!

dewilson58 03-24-2020 06:52 AM

Good press conference.

Good prevention step..............100%, no. Deterrent??....yes.

ColdNoMore 03-24-2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1732453)
LOL, Well, 200-400 can fit in a plane at once vs 4 or 5 in a car. Bit of a difference. Maybe he'll setup a pop-up testing center on the border or simply build a wall and have NY/NJ pay for it. I do like the idea though but the wall would be better and probably work just as well.. :D

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

bagboy 03-24-2020 09:36 AM

:)I'm wondering with 20,000 cases of the virus in New York why all flights out aren't grounded or cancelled. I'll put this in my "what the hell do I know" file.:)

skyking 03-24-2020 10:15 AM

Gov Cuomo has great daily press conferences but the results are questionable. New York has approximately 15% percent of the US population and approximately 50% of the active cases of COVID-19. Gov DeSantis has made a good decision, but how do you enforce it?

DARFAP 03-24-2020 02:07 PM

Enforce it by keeping all locked on the plane for 2 weeks!

stan the man 03-24-2020 03:38 PM

Cuomo wants to be president.....New York not prepared...New York City not prepared... Blame it on somebody else. Should I have had lock down in place weeks ago, Have you ever been on a New York City Subway. Talk about being packed in like Sardines. Not my fault...

golfing eagles 03-24-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARFAP (Post 1732858)
Enforce it by keeping all locked on the plane for 2 weeks!

No, but they could do the 45 min test on everyone and quarantine the positives. It is unlikely that a group of people who left NY/NJ to get away from the stay at home order would come here and self isolate

EdFNJ 03-24-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1732905)
No, but they could do the 45 min test on everyone and quarantine the positives. It is unlikely that a group of people who left NY/NJ to get away from the stay at home order would come here and self isolate

Yes, a good idea. According to a live news report today at MCO they showed one flight unloading from NYC with 3 people on it. While it made for good publicity and was a great idea I think his order really won't be enforced much except maybe for a few tv stations to tape it as there is no real way to do it. Would take up way too much manpower and other resources considering the alleged 190 flights (I thought airlines cut most of their flights?).

vintageogauge 03-24-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Correct, no chance in that happening.

TexaninVA 03-24-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyking (Post 1732698)
Gov Cuomo has great daily press conferences but the results are questionable. New York has approximately 15% percent of the US population and approximately 50% of the active cases of COVID-19. Gov DeSantis has made a good decision, but how do you enforce it?

Agree ... Cuomo is great on style but not so much on results, and that's what counts.

Northwoods 03-24-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Great idea! But I saw 3 people who flew down from NJ in their early 20's interviewed on TV. They had no idea of the self-imposed quarantine. They don't watch TV... they are on their phone. No one gave them any information when they were exiting the plane nor did they do any testing of the people exiting the plane.
Personally, I think they should stop all the planes from the northeast.

EdFNJ 03-24-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

They could do that, but, as has been talked about many times by the Docs they could test negative now and positive 1 to 5+ days from now. The incubation period after exposure is 5 days and symtoms take up to 11 days. That's what they haven't been able to deal with yet and is a major problem.

March 17, 2020
Source:University of Massachusetts Amherst
Summary:A new study calculates that the median incubation period for COVID-19 is just over 5 days and that 97.5% of people who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of infection.

For those that still believe in science :) the above came from here: Median incubation period for COVID-19 -- ScienceDaily

Kerry Azz 03-24-2020 10:29 PM

Isn’t Florida Heavens waiting room?