Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Smoke alarm detector problem! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/smoke-alarm-detector-problem-304293/)

curly top 03-24-2020 11:37 AM

Smoke alarm detector problem!

We have one smoke alarm detector that occasionally beeps 3 times, the others are fine. We purchased a new detector, we dusted the area, we put in new batteries and problem still continues. Anyone know what could be causing this? We don't want to leave the room without a detector which is what other people have done.
Thanks

roob1 03-24-2020 11:43 AM

So you purchased a new detector, and like the old one, it also beeps 3 times?

asianthree 03-24-2020 11:43 AM

Contact the company by email with serial #. They replaced all of ours for free

Chatbrat 03-24-2020 11:43 AM

Blow out the detector with canned air, if your detectors are near 10 years old, replace all of them--they have a service life, also replace all the batteries when you get new smoke detectors with 10 year batteries

retiredguy123 03-24-2020 11:54 AM

If it is a First Alert detector, 3 beeps on regular time intervals indicates that the detector is defective. If you have replaced it with a new detector, I would make sure it is properly plugged in to the base unit. If so, I would return it for a new one. If that doesn't work, you may have a wiring problem with the system that interconnects all of the detectors in your house. To test that, I would plug in another detector from your house that you know is working and see if it still beeps. Another solution would be to buy a 10-year, stand alone detector with a sealed battery. That type does not need to be connected to the house wiring and can be mounted anywhere on the wall.

villagetinker 03-24-2020 12:19 PM

I think you need to reset the system, I had a similar situation about 2 years ago, sorry I forgot the reset instructions. I got these by going to the MFG website and getting the instructions for that model.

rjm1cc 03-24-2020 12:45 PM

I had the same problem. I though it was the smoke detector in the bed room and changed its battery. Beeps came back and it was the detector about two feet away out side of the bedroom.

retiredguy123 03-24-2020 12:50 PM

If the problem is just a weak battery, the detector will only beep once on periodic basis. But, if it is 3 beeps, then the detector is defective, not the battery.

bagboy 03-24-2020 01:05 PM

My guess is the smoke/carbon monoxide combination detector needs replaced. I think they last about 5 years or do.

retiredguy123 03-24-2020 01:18 PM

You may also try turning off the circuit breaker labeled "low voltage" in your electrical panel, then plug in the detector, turn the breaker back on, and then press and hold the detector "test" button.

JoMar 03-24-2020 03:47 PM

Just replaced a battery in one of ours.....my question, why do the batteries always die at 2 AM?

bilcon 03-24-2020 04:02 PM

How about at 2AM the first night in our resale 12 years ago, and I didn't have a ladder or anything to get up that high. Beep Beep Beep Beep until the stores opened the next day. Never thought of turning off the breaker, but I didn't even know if they were hot wired or battery. That will never happen again. My wife still reminds me of it.

Chatbrat 03-24-2020 05:40 PM

They are hard wired & have a battery

Peter31 03-25-2020 06:34 AM

One of your alarms is past its expiration date. That’s what the three beeps indicate. If the are less than five years old you can get a free replacement from maker.. if not u will need to replace the old alarm with new ones..

bmit16 03-25-2020 06:42 AM

You have to reset the system. Look in the instructions that came with the new detector. You may have to reset all the units. It is a hard reset that will return them to factory setting so they do not have to be replaced. I had to do this a while back. This is what manufacture told me to do when I called.