Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Smoke alarm detector problem! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/smoke-alarm-detector-problem-304293/)

curly top 03-24-2020 11:37 AM

Smoke alarm detector problem!

We have one smoke alarm detector that occasionally beeps 3 times, the others are fine. We purchased a new detector, we dusted the area, we put in new batteries and problem still continues. Anyone know what could be causing this? We don't want to leave the room without a detector which is what other people have done.
Thanks

roob1 03-24-2020 11:43 AM

So you purchased a new detector, and like the old one, it also beeps 3 times?

asianthree 03-24-2020 11:43 AM

Contact the company by email with serial #. They replaced all of ours for free

Chatbrat 03-24-2020 11:43 AM

Blow out the detector with canned air, if your detectors are near 10 years old, replace all of them--they have a service life, also replace all the batteries when you get new smoke detectors with 10 year batteries

retiredguy123 03-24-2020 11:54 AM

If it is a First Alert detector, 3 beeps on regular time intervals indicates that the detector is defective. If you have replaced it with a new detector, I would make sure it is properly plugged in to the base unit. If so, I would return it for a new one. If that doesn't work, you may have a wiring problem with the system that interconnects all of the detectors in your house. To test that, I would plug in another detector from your house that you know is working and see if it still beeps. Another solution would be to buy a 10-year, stand alone detector with a sealed battery. That type does not need to be connected to the house wiring and can be mounted anywhere on the wall.

villagetinker 03-24-2020 12:19 PM

I think you need to reset the system, I had a similar situation about 2 years ago, sorry I forgot the reset instructions. I got these by going to the MFG website and getting the instructions for that model.

rjm1cc 03-24-2020 12:45 PM

I had the same problem. I though it was the smoke detector in the bed room and changed its battery. Beeps came back and it was the detector about two feet away out side of the bedroom.

retiredguy123 03-24-2020 12:50 PM

If the problem is just a weak battery, the detector will only beep once on periodic basis. But, if it is 3 beeps, then the detector is defective, not the battery.

bagboy 03-24-2020 01:05 PM

My guess is the smoke/carbon monoxide combination detector needs replaced. I think they last about 5 years or do.

retiredguy123 03-24-2020 01:18 PM

You may also try turning off the circuit breaker labeled "low voltage" in your electrical panel, then plug in the detector, turn the breaker back on, and then press and hold the detector "test" button.

JoMar 03-24-2020 03:47 PM

Just replaced a battery in one of ours.....my question, why do the batteries always die at 2 AM?

bilcon 03-24-2020 04:02 PM

How about at 2AM the first night in our resale 12 years ago, and I didn't have a ladder or anything to get up that high. Beep Beep Beep Beep until the stores opened the next day. Never thought of turning off the breaker, but I didn't even know if they were hot wired or battery. That will never happen again. My wife still reminds me of it.

Chatbrat 03-24-2020 05:40 PM

They are hard wired & have a battery

Peter31 03-25-2020 06:34 AM

One of your alarms is past its expiration date. That’s what the three beeps indicate. If the are less than five years old you can get a free replacement from maker.. if not u will need to replace the old alarm with new ones..

bmit16 03-25-2020 06:42 AM

You have to reset the system. Look in the instructions that came with the new detector. You may have to reset all the units. It is a hard reset that will return them to factory setting so they do not have to be replaced. I had to do this a while back. This is what manufacture told me to do when I called.

timberpro 03-25-2020 07:30 AM

timberpro

I was told by the manufacturer once you disconnect the hard wire remove the alarm from the ceiling then take the battery out. Now this is real important: PUSH DOWN THE RESET BUTTON BEFORE YOU PUT IN THE NEW BATTERY AS THE OLD ALARM STILL HAS A CHARGE FROM THE OLD BATTERY, IT WILL MAKE A SLIGHT NOISE FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS. Then replace with a new battery and reconnect the wire and put it back in place. Then push the reset button to test the new battery, sometimes it might beep the other smoke dectors when doing this but that is OK.

FredJacobs 03-25-2020 07:32 AM

The smoke alarms installed in our homes are photoelectric alarms. They work by detecting smoke from smoldering fires. I had ionization alarms installed in addition to the photoelectric alarms - they work by detecting smoke from flaming fires. I also had a rapid heat detector installed in the garage and the kitchen. This works by detecting an an increase in heat of 15 degrees in less than a minute. The best part - the ionization alarms and the heat detectors are monitored by an alarm company so I don't have to be home to call the fire department.

fraurose 03-25-2020 09:05 AM

Had the same problem

Check for moisture in the ceiling . This happen to me , when I took the Fire alarm down you could see there was A spot where there was moisture. It keep doing it even after I replaced with new ones, I finally left the battery out and unplugged the electric part close it up again and bought one you can put in an outlet on any wall. perfect now no more problems .

Chatbrat 03-25-2020 09:09 AM

Smoke rises, a smoke detector close to the floor will not go of in time to give adequate warning

fraurose 03-25-2020 09:18 AM

It Works !!!!!

I hope you have more then one Fire Alarm in your Home ! Believe me it works .

Chatbrat 03-25-2020 09:23 AM

I have several; however, per NEC smoke detector locations are mandated-they are put high for a reason, not convenience--I'm a retired electrical contractor and was a volunteer fireman--in a fire that's why people and fireman are told to keep low to avoid smoke

retiredguy123 03-25-2020 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FredJacobs (Post 1733139)
The smoke alarms installed in our homes are photoelectric alarms. They work by detecting smoke from smoldering fires. I had ionization alarms installed in addition to the photoelectric alarms - they work by detecting smoke from flaming fires. I also had a rapid heat detector installed in the garage and the kitchen. This works by detecting an an increase in heat of 15 degrees in less than a minute. The best part - the ionization alarms and the heat detectors are monitored by an alarm company so I don't have to be home to call the fire department.

In the newer houses (I think within the past 5 years or so) the builder is installing First Alert Model 9120B smoke detectors. These are "ionization" type detectors, not "photoelectric". Here is a photo of the Model 9120B detector. All the detectors will look the same, but one will say "smoke and carbon monoxide" on it. The rest will only say "smoke".

OhioBuckeye 03-25-2020 09:52 AM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Originally Posted by curly top (Post 1732752)
We have one smoke alarm detector that occasionally beeps 3 times, the others are fine. We purchased a new detector, we dusted the area, we put in new batteries and problem still continues. Anyone know what could be causing this? We don't want to leave the room without a detector which is what other people have done.
Thanks

Take out battery, then unplug the hardwire, then push the test button to drain the smoke detector of all power, it'll tweet about 2 or 3 seconds. Then plug in hardwire, ( AC power) put fresh new battery in & then attach to ceiling. It should be OK now. If detectors are 5 yrs. old or older, you might have to replace them. You can buy a 5 pack of detectors from Lowes for around $30. If you buy a single detector they'll cost you about 25 to $30. a piece. If my instruction are confusing, Google how to stop a tweeting smoke detector. What I told you to do, worked for me. Hope it works for you! Good Luck

OhioBuckeye 03-25-2020 09:54 AM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Originally Posted by timberpro (Post 1733137)
I was told by the manufacturer once you disconnect the hard wire remove the alarm from the ceiling then take the battery out. Now this is real important: PUSH DOWN THE RESET BUTTON BEFORE YOU PUT IN THE NEW BATTERY AS THE OLD ALARM STILL HAS A CHARGE FROM THE OLD BATTERY, IT WILL MAKE A SLIGHT NOISE FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS. Then replace with a new battery and reconnect the wire and put it back in place. Then push the reset button to test the new battery, sometimes it might beep the other smoke dectors when doing this but that is OK.

What you said is exactly right, I had to do that 2 yrs. in a row & it worked both times.

retiredguy123 03-25-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraurose (Post 1733228)
Check for moisture in the ceiling . This happen to me , when I took the Fire alarm down you could see there was A spot where there was moisture. It keep doing it even after I replaced with new ones, I finally left the battery out and unplugged the electric part close it up again and bought one you can put in an outlet on any wall. perfect now no more problems .

I have never heard of a smoke detector that plugs into a wall outlet. The building code requires all smoke detectors to be interconnected with a low voltage electrical system, and each detector must have a battery for backup power. The only type of stand alone detectors allowed are 10-year detectors that have a permanent, sealed battery.

Chatbrat 03-25-2020 10:16 AM

Wrong they are not interconnected with low voltage, they are interconnected with line voltage--they are on a dedicated circuit--check your breaker box, see if you can find a transformer for smoke detectors--lot cheaper for a contractor to use com wire than 14/3 RX

retiredguy123 03-25-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1733306)
Wrong they are not interconnected with low voltage, they are interconnected with line voltage--they are on a dedicated circuit--check your breaker box, see if you can find a transformer for smoke detectors--lot cheaper for a contractor to use com wire than 14/3 RX

You are correct. They use line voltage.

J1ceasar 03-25-2020 11:09 AM

better the battery than you .

heybarb44 03-25-2020 02:07 PM

The same thing happened to us. It turned out that we needed to change all of them. Our home is 15 years old and it was time to change them all. Cost was about $75. Hope this helps. I assume your alarms are hard wired, as ours are.

jacklaurie 03-25-2020 02:47 PM

Moisture can set off alarm, I have the same issue at times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by curly top (Post 1732752)
Thanks

Moisture can set off alarm, I have the same issue at times.

E Cascade 03-25-2020 05:58 PM

Home Depot has smoke alarms that are 10 yr sealed battery alarms that come in pairs that you can interconnect up to 8 alarms, so if one goes off they all will. They even fit the plate that is now fastened to your ceilings. You just follow the simple directions to interconnect them, do a test to make sure all are working and then unscrew the old and twist in the new ones and you're all set. Just mark each one where you are putting it so when in the future you start taking one down you know where it came from. Simple and work great. If you have a great neighbor put one in their home too, so if something happens someone will know to call for help if needed. Be safe.