Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Bicyclist Dies (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/bicyclist-dies-304328/)

Chatbrat 03-25-2020 07:44 AM

Bicyclist Dies

A 71 year old woman who was a Villager died as a result as a collision with a tractor owned by Down to Earth on Morse B'lvd. She was @ fault

Bay Kid 03-25-2020 08:02 AM

So sad. Be safe out there.

TexaninVA 03-25-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1733153)
A 71 year old woman who was a Villager died as a result as a collision with a tractor owned by Down to Earth on Morse B'lvd. She was @ fault

Beyond sad ... and happened so fast. Have to always always pay attention on the cart paths and elsewhere. All it takes is a flash.

Chatbrat 03-25-2020 08:16 AM

And remember an accident we would have bounced back from when we were 18-19, is now fatal--

New Englander 03-25-2020 09:14 AM

I stopped riding my bike on the multi modal path over a year ago. It's just too dangerous for me. I feel bad for this poor woman. RIP

Rapscallion St Croix 03-25-2020 09:20 AM

If a cyclist runs every stop sign, they may make it safely through any number between 0 and ∞ with the latter being the popular expectation of the rider.

UsuallyLurking 03-25-2020 09:23 AM

Regardless of the circumstances of this tragedy, this should be taken as a lesson by all, particularly cyclists. As a cyclist I will never win in any collision or almost any other kind of incident regardless of my age. As a consequence, I would never think of riding on a road unless I was in a group, and I always stop and look both ways at stop signs (apparently unexpectedly to a couple of golf carts -- were they not paying attention or assuming that cyclists usually blow through stop signs?).

Rapscallion St Croix 03-25-2020 10:03 AM

The paradox is that cyclists are presumably riding for exercise yet they don't want to expend the extra effort to regain momentum after a stop.

Topspinmo 03-25-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1733236)
I stopped riding my bike on the multi modal path over a year ago. It's just too dangerous for me. I feel bad for this poor woman. RIP

MMP had nothing to do with it. Failure to yield and keep you’re self out of harms way. Yes very horrific accident that could of been avoided.

jacksonbrown 03-25-2020 10:41 AM

I read that article on V-N early this morning.

For what it's worth, my experience with the V-N is that the reporters get their stories from police reports (which are in the public domain).

The "reporters" then cut and paste from the digitized reports, forming an article "worthy" of being published on their employer's website.

Just how factual is the report?

The FHP investigated the accident.

Whom did the investigating officer interview? The injured party, bystanders, the tractor operator.

One statement shown in the report, if we are to believe V-N, is

"The report noted she had failed to yield the right of way to the tractor.'

I see posters suggesting that the injured party was at fault.

After all, we non-cyclists know that those fools that ride bicycles NEVER yield and NEVER stop for stop signs.

Shame on you people, the woman is dead, she certainly can't defend herself.

dillywho 03-25-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonbrown (Post 1733336)

For what it's worth, my experience with the V-N is that the reporters get their stories from police reports (which are in the public domain).

The "reporters" then cut and paste from the digitized reports, forming an article "worthy" of being published on their employer's website.

Whom did the investigating officer interview? The injured party, bystanders, the tractor operator.

After all, we non-cyclists know that those fools that ride bicycles NEVER yield and NEVER stop for stop signs.

But IF she was at fault, why berate others for saying so? Tragic and sad, at fault or not.

John_W 03-25-2020 11:22 AM

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...62&oe=5EA24879

Michael Charles 03-25-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonbrown (Post 1733336)

So, are you the spokesperson for ALL non-cyclists?

What statistics are you citing with your claim if in fact you are truly the non-cyclist spokesperson and can state that fools that ride bicycles NEVER yield or NEVER stop?

Seriously? Think about how ridiculous that sounds!

You've never seen me on my bike and I ALWAYS stop and I ALWAYS yield.

So, you are completely wrong in your statement.

It is still a very tragic situation.

Polar Bear 03-25-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1733236)
I stopped riding my bike on the multi modal path over a year ago. It's just too dangerous for me...

With proper precautions, MMP riding is much safer than riding the streets imo.

Velvet 03-25-2020 11:41 AM

Not sure if I read it right, is someone saying that drivers should assume that bicyclists are going to blow through stop signs and otherwise disregard road regulations?

We know that drivers are not going to that. Very sorry, but my thinking is if you are going to ride and if you are going to disobey the rules of the road, you can expect to be hit and its consequences.