Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   WARNING from Sheriff's Office (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/warning-sheriffs-office-304336/)

coffeebean 03-25-2020 09:29 AM

WARNING from Sheriff's Office

I just received this warning in an email from a friend.......

This was posted by the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office and I am certain it will begin to happen in Martin County as well. It is common sense........

Alert: Law Enforcement and the Red Cross have advised that there are people going door to door indicating that they are from the CDC and authorized to do home testing for Coronavirus.

DO NOT LET THEM IN. THEY WILL ROB YOU. CALL THE POLICE! ALERT YOUR FAMILIES!!

================================================== ==========

We are a community of seniors. We should be alert to this too.

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-25-2020 11:49 AM

The Red Cross doesn't go door to door. Everyone needs to maintain whatever common sense they've had - or acquire some if they never had it. Think back - in your lifetime. Have you EVER had anyone show up at your door, from the Red Cross, offering to give you ANYTHING, ever? I mean unless you were the victim of a tornado and "at your door" really means "at your tent flap in the emergency encampment sponsored by the Red Cross"? Answer: no, you haven't. Ever. So don't think that this time they will. No one *should* need an e-mail from a friend or a post on the internet to know this, ffs.

The sad thing isn't that there are people who would pretend to be with the Red Cross to gain access to your stuff. The sad thing is there a grown-azz adults, presumably of at least moderate intelligence, who will fall for it.

eremite06 03-25-2020 11:56 AM

What is DCD?

dewilson58 03-25-2020 11:57 AM

Nothing on their website.

LuvtheVillages 03-25-2020 12:03 PM

///

Kenswing 03-25-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1733381)
The Red Cross doesn't go door to door. Everyone needs to maintain whatever common sense they've had - or acquire some if they never had it. Think back - in your lifetime. Have you EVER had anyone show up at your door, from the Red Cross, offering to give you ANYTHING, ever? I mean unless you were the victim of a tornado and "at your door" really means "at your tent flap in the emergency encampment sponsored by the Red Cross"? Answer: no, you haven't. Ever. So don't think that this time they will. No one *should* need an e-mail from a friend or a post on the internet to know this, ffs.

The sad thing isn't that there are people who would pretend to be with the Red Cross to gain access to your stuff. The sad thing is there a grown-azz adults, presumably of at least moderate intelligence, who will fall for it.

I don't see where it was mentioned that the Red Cross was going door to door. Just something called the DCD. :shrug:

coffeebean 03-25-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eremite06 (Post 1733382)
What is DCD?

Oops. Thanks. I fixed it.

coffeebean 03-25-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

You misread what the warning says. It says that Law Enforcement and the Red Cross are warning folks that "people" are going door to door.......etc., etc. Please re-read my original post. Thanks.

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-25-2020 04:05 PM

Yes you copied and pasted a viral facebook post that has been regurgitated for the Coronavirus. It's been going around for years, and applied to SARS and various and sundry hurricanes and tornadoes over the years. It's a "virtual chain mail" thing. Some of them specify that the Red Cross is offering free testing (which is why the Red Cross is even mentioned in this thing), either as a just "as is" statement or "on behalf of the CDC". In the past they've offered free testing, free vaccinations, or requested donations. They have always been fraudulent scams.

In other words - this is not a new scam. That's what I'm getting at: that this isn't a new thing.

coffeebean 03-25-2020 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1733544)
Yes you copied and pasted a viral facebook post that has been regurgitated for the Coronavirus. It's been going around for years, and applied to SARS and various and sundry hurricanes and tornadoes over the years. It's a "virtual chain mail" thing. Some of them specify that the Red Cross is offering free testing (which is why the Red Cross is even mentioned in this thing), either as a just "as is" statement or "on behalf of the CDC". In the past they've offered free testing, free vaccinations, or requested donations. They have always been fraudulent scams.

In other words - this is not a new scam. That's what I'm getting at: that this isn't a new thing.

It may not be a new thing but it may be new to some folks. Why not let everyone know there are bad people out there. I hadn't heard about this before so I was very appreciative to my friend to inform me of the dangers out there.

Yung Dum 03-25-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Well said. Kudos to you.

davem4616 03-26-2020 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1733254)
I just received this warning in an email from a friend.......

This was posted by the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office and I am certain it will begin to happen in Martin County as well. It is common sense........

Alert: Law Enforcement and the Red Cross have advised that there are people going door to door indicating that they are from the CDC and authorized to do home testing for Coronavirus.

DO NOT LET THEM IN. THEY WILL ROB YOU. CALL THE POLICE! ALERT YOUR FAMILIES!!

================================================== ==========

We are a community of seniors. We should be alert to this too.

good to know, thanks for sharing

stan the man 03-26-2020 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1733383)
Nothing on their website.

Thank you..

merrymini 03-26-2020 07:55 AM

Sadly, our judgement may be impaired by age. That is why so many of these scammers target older people.

navair4me 03-26-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eremite06 (Post 1733382)
What is DCD?

if you mean CDC as mentioned in an earlier post, it's "Center for Disease Control."