Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/)
-   -   new holeless pin (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/new-holeless-pin-304357/)

village dreamer 03-25-2020 05:31 PM

new holeless pin

the wife and i played turtle mound today, we liked the pvc around the hole.:bigbow:

ColdNoMore 03-25-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by village dreamer (Post 1733600)
the wife and i played turtle mound today, we liked the pvc around the hole.:bigbow:

It's actually just the regular cup...left above ground.

To approximate normal conditions, my groups have instituted a rule that if your ball hits the raised cup it must stay within "gimme range" (18")...to be considered "holed out."

If something similar to that rule isn't used, a lot of folks would be banging their ball at the cup pretty hard, just trying to hit the now raised cup, whereas it probably would have been hit too hard...and wouldn't have fallen in the hole under normal conditions. :shrug:

It is nice though, that you don't have to put your hand down in the cup now, where LOTS of other hands...have gone before. :thumbup:

anothersteve 03-25-2020 05:52 PM

A "rule" for your group is fine, let everyone else decide what's GTG for themselves and have fun with it. Oh, and on Palmer it is a PVC pipe and not an upside down cup.

N44125 03-25-2020 06:05 PM

Hawks Bay today had PVC inserts. Also, no rakes in sand traps, starter advised you can still hit from the trap and smooth the sand with your foot, or lift ball and hit from outside the trap. Worked for us.

golfing eagles 03-25-2020 06:21 PM

After I saw that on the 1st green, I looked for the windmill and the clown's mouth on #2:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

kcrazorbackfan 03-25-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N44125 (Post 1733617)
Hawks Bay today had PVC inserts. Also, no rakes in sand traps, starter advised you can still hit from the trap and smooth the sand with your foot, or lift ball and hit from outside the trap. Worked for us.

Not raking the traps or smoothing their footprints is nothing new for a lot of people. I've started taking my own rake on the off chance I hit into a trap.

Mleeja 03-25-2020 07:16 PM

No holes in one for awhile.

DonH57 03-25-2020 09:17 PM

Wow. Really I think I'll set aside playing golf and find things to do around the house.

ColdNoMore 03-25-2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N44125 (Post 1733617)

I had been told that they were going to just leave the cups above the hole, so they could still have the flags, but admit....I haven't actually seen them yet.

Will hopefully be able to see for myself by Saturday.

fredputtputt 03-26-2020 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1733626)
After I saw that on the 1st green, I looked for the windmill and the clown's mouth on #2:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Are we to assume that the PVC is a response to COVID 19 and not an attempt to reduce maintenance costs an will revert to normal shortly.

dewilson58 03-26-2020 05:06 AM

Great Idea.

Really does not change the game.

No body in TV is getting a check based on their score.

Play Ball!!

Challenger 03-26-2020 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredputtputt (Post 1733741)
Are we to assume that the PVC is a response to COVID 19 and not an attempt to reduce maintenance costs an will revert to normal shortly.

Yes-Intelligent response to this and other diseases.

noslices1 03-26-2020 05:57 AM

Same on Amberwood

ladyarwen3 03-26-2020 06:55 AM

We played Walnut grove and they did not have the PVC pipes yet (pool noodles cut up are also effective). I wish they did. We were paired with 2 lovely gentlemen but they did NOT practice any social distancing or safety procedures. Both came over to withing 2 feet of our cart at the starter shack and attempted to shake our hands; they kept lifting the pin to putt, etc. I gave them both a paper towel soaked with alcohol to wipe their hands and asked them politely to stay away. Neither of them were taking this too seriously. They were much older than hubby and me by at least 10 years.

How can we get the message out to others that we are NOT being unfriendly, but trying to keep us (and THEM) safe?

Drdoug49 03-26-2020 07:14 AM

I saw the same thing yesterday on a golf course. I politely and firmly said “ please stay 6 feet away and practice social distancing “. They followed my instructions thankfully