Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Cal’s Barber Shop (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/cals-barber-shop-304436/)

N44125 03-27-2020 10:12 AM

Cal’s Barber Shop

Went to Cal’s at LSL....closed. Did I miss something? I didn’t know barber shops were affected by the shutdowns.

New Englander 03-27-2020 10:19 AM

Social Distancing?

Carla B 03-27-2020 10:33 AM

I doubt the barber can cut your hair from a distance of 6'.

John_W 03-27-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N44125 (Post 1734525)
Went to Cal’s at LSL....closed. Did I miss something? I didn’t know barber shops were affected by the shutdowns.

You missed a whole lot of things. Since my doctor's appointment with the VA last week was changed to a phone call and my wife's dentist appointment this week was cancelled until June, and her hair dresser (Victoria's) is closed, and MVP gym closed two weeks ago. I would be surprised any business that requires close customer contact is still open.

DianeM 03-27-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq (Post 1734557)
Since they own Cal's outright they have the first and last say. :clap2:

I still don’t get your point. Regardless of who owns it the shop should be closed. Barbers don’t have 6 foot length arms.

drcar 03-27-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeM (Post 1734571)
I still don’t get your point. Regardless of who owns it the shop should be closed. Barbers don’t have 6 foot length arms.

You are 100% correct, Barbers have to keep their distant, But if we follow the first post logic, sine the family own the golf courses they would be closed also, but wait they are open!

DianeM 03-27-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcar (Post 1734576)
You are 100% correct, Barbers have to keep their distant, But if we follow the first post logic, sine the family own the golf courses they would be closed also, but wait they are open!

Comparing apples and bananas. Barbershops are enclosed spaces. Golf courses are outdoor spaces. Enough with bashing.

champion6 03-27-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

This was posted on Nextdoor yesterday:
Cal's Barber/Beauty Shops/ Covid-19
Due to Covid-19, All four of the Cal's barber and beauty shops are now closed until further notice. We are hoping to be back open on Monday April 13, 2020 to service our customers again. Everyone take care. We are doing what's best for our community and our workers. Thank you.
Cal's Barbershop Sumter Landing
Cal's Barbershop Colony Plaza
Cal's Barber/Beauty Spanish Springs
Cal's Barber/Beauty Brownwood

Chi-Town 03-27-2020 01:17 PM

Ran into one of Cal's LSL barbers Tuesday afternoon. He said that new hours of 9-1 were starting. That didn't last long.

Nucky 03-27-2020 01:40 PM

I have the bestest Barber in The Villages. Me! I call my cut The Uncle Fester! Buzzer then a shave, perfect!

TexaninVA 03-27-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

You're kidding, right?

Barbers are literally in your face (in a nice way) and they serve maybe 10-20 customers per day. Even if you don't get the bug from the barber, he/she is almost guaranteed to catch if after a week or two given the numbers of people they've been up close to.

JoMar 03-27-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcar (Post 1734576)

And the hate continues.

billethkid 03-27-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaninVA (Post 1734777)
You're kidding, right?

Barbers are literally in your face (in a nice way) and they serve maybe 10-20 customers per day. Even if you don't get the bug from the barber, he/she is almost guaranteed to catch if after a week or two given the numbers of people they've been up close to.

In other states like PA, OH, NY etc that have closed bars, restaurants, etc, they specifically call out barbershops and salons to shut down.

In FL the governor did not include salons and barbers ordered to be closed. Hence the owners of these shops are left with the decision of "closing on their own". As a result potentially excluded from any assistance forthcoming.....because they were not ordered to close and closed on their own.

It is a real problem for these shop owners......and oh by the way....just not right. The governor has done a dis-service to these small business owners. How could he not order shutting down of hands on types of businesses.

EdFNJ 03-27-2020 08:44 PM

'Bout time. I was surprised they were opened as long as they were. I'm sure they didn't fully (or partially for that matter) disinfect each chair between customers and the barbers didn't wear gloves or masks and peoples hair was on the floor blowing all over the place. I'm desperate for a haircut but I'd have had to be stupid to sit down in one of those shops over the last few weeks. Going to have to try a DIY.

TexaninVA 03-27-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1734851)
'Bout time. I was surprised they were opened as long as they were. I'm sure they didn't fully (or partially for that matter) disinfect each chair between customers and the barbers didn't wear gloves or masks and peoples hair was on the floor blowing all over the place. I'm desperate for a haircut but I'd have had to be stupid to sit down in one of those shops over the last few weeks. Going to have to try a DIY.

Me too ... ie DIY.

Maybe get a bowl, scissors and sit out on the lanai to try to let my wife take a whack at it. It's the new corona cut.