Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Rhode Island police stopping cars with New York plates (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/rhode-island-police-stopping-cars-new-york-plates-304482/)

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 08:42 AM

Rhode Island police stopping cars with New York plates

Kudos to the governor of Rhode Island. This is what needs to happen even though it’s not pleasant. But, it’s real world.

I say this a someone who was born in NYC and grew up in NJ. Sad.

“”Rhode Island police began stopping cars with New York plates Friday. On Saturday, the National Guard will help them conduct house-to-house searches to find people who traveled from New York and demand 14 days of self-quarantine.

“Right now we have a pinpointed risk,” Governor Gina Raimondo said. “That risk is called New York City.” “

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

We need to do something similar in Florida before it’s too late.

GoodLife 03-28-2020 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 83308

VApeople 03-28-2020 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaninVA (Post 1735139)
We need to do something similar in Florida before it’s too late.

No we don't.

If you are worried about the Corona virus, then assume every person carries the virus and avoid being close to them. That's about it.

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1735166)
No we don't.

If you are worried about the Corona virus, then assume every person carries the virus and avoid being close to them. That's about it.

I'm already doing that ...

I think what the RI Governor has done is basic common sense in a pandemic and helps reduce the risk to all.

anothersteve 03-28-2020 09:12 AM

“While the Governor may have the power to suspend some state laws and regulations to address this medical emergency, she cannot suspend the Constitution,” Rhode Island ACLU executive director Steven Brown said in a statement. “Under the Fourth Amendment, having a New York state license plate simply does not, and cannot, constitute ‘probable cause’ to allow police to stop a car and interrogate the driver, no matter how laudable the goal of the stop may be.”

I agree. What's next.......door to door knocks, break-ins and searches? Sorry but this does not sit well with me and is a very slippery slope. Where does, will, it stop?

Steve

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1735188)
“While the Governor may have the power to suspend some state laws and regulations to address this medical emergency, she cannot suspend the Constitution,” Rhode Island ACLU executive director Steven Brown said in a statement. “Under the Fourth Amendment, having a New York state license plate simply does not, and cannot, constitute ‘probable cause’ to allow police to stop a car and interrogate the driver, no matter how laudable the goal of the stop may be.”

I agree. What's next.......door to door knocks, break-ins and searches? Sorry but this does not sit well with me and is a very slippery slope. Where does, will, it stop?

Steve

Hey it's a medical emergency. The normal rules (temporarily) don't apply. So far, she hasn't declared martial law but could if need be.

DianeM 03-28-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Steve

Does anyone really care what the ACLU thinks? Kudos for the governor of Rhode Island for keeping possibly infected people out of the state and trying to keep it clean. It should be the rule in all states right now. We are in a war of safety.

Chatbrat 03-28-2020 10:02 AM

civil liberties don't mean a thing to a dead person--FL should have done the same thing weeks ago

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1735250)
civil liberties don't mean a thing to a dead person--FL should have done the same thing weeks ago

Yes, indeed.

The ACLU can always be counted upon to be a pain in the (censored) at just the right time

Ecuadog 03-28-2020 12:07 PM

I am considering taking lessons to rid myself of my NewYawk accent.

BS Beef 03-28-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1735148)

Brilliant :clap2:

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecuadog (Post 1735349)
I am considering taking lessons to rid myself of my NewYawk accent.

That's actually quite funny. :bigbow:

My wife is from Mississippi ... for a small fee, we can offer you a short course in how to talk Southern.

Number 10 GI 03-28-2020 01:37 PM

In my best german accent, "Giff me your papersss pleeze".

DianeM 03-28-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaninVA (Post 1735389)
That's actually quite funny. :bigbow:

My wife is from Mississippi ... for a small fee, we can offer you a short course in how to talk Southern.

Cute but then we’d all say “y’all”.

Topspinmo 03-28-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1735166)
No we don't.

No we don’t? Look up hundreds of flights arriving daily. I sure their all going to stay home 14 days.

Velvet 03-28-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Steve

When does it stop? When you’re dead?

Ok, I’m being a bit facisius. But I do believe that one’s civil liberties end where it infringes on another person’s. Old people have a right to stay alive.

golfing eagles 03-28-2020 03:08 PM

The OP just doesn't pass the smell test.. House to house searches would be a blatant violation of the 4th amendment. To those that applaud this move, you don't just shred the constitution because a virus is circulating, it is an EXTREMELY slippery slope. Besides, there is nothing about this on the 24/7 TV news nor the internet

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeM (Post 1735416)
Cute but then we’d all say “y’all”.

Yes, she's from Mississippi but I'm from New Joisey :icon_wink:

DianeM 03-28-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaninVA (Post 1735453)
Yes, she's from Mississippi but I'm from New Joisey :icon_wink:

And I’m New Yawk.

DianeM 03-28-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1735452)
The OP just doesn't pass the smell test.. House to house searches would be a blatant violation of the 4th amendment. To those that applaud this move, you don't just shred the constitution because a virus is circulating, it is an EXTREMELY slippery slope. Besides, there is nothing about this on the 24/7 TV news nor the internet

Actually I saw it on the news last night or this morning. I applaud her decision. She is trying to protect the citizens of her state. :BigApplause:

golfing eagles 03-28-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeM (Post 1735460)
Actually I saw it on the news last night or this morning. I applaud her decision. She is trying to protect the citizens of her state. :BigApplause:

And if Trump tries to "protect" the citizens of the US by cancelling elections? Or a future president cancels freedom of the press? The constitution is not optional, to be ignored if inconvenient

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1735471)
And if Trump tries to "protect" the citizens of the US by cancelling elections? Or a future president cancels freedom of the press? The constitution is not optional, to be ignored if inconvenient

If things are so horrifically bad by October, and to such an extent the elections have to be postponed, it's a pretty safe bet most people would be demanding that be done.

I don't think we'll get to that point however. :pray:

twoplanekid 03-28-2020 03:52 PM

Florida is now the fourth most-hit state in the United States, after New York, New Jersey, and California, according to data by health officials and Johns Hopkins University.

Florida sees sharp spike in coronavirus infections as fears grow it could be another hotspot | Fox News

DianeM 03-28-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1735471)

Do you not get this is a war? Keeping an infected person away from your state makes total sense. I hate all the New Yorkers that brought this crap to Florida so we’re now a potential hot spot. And yes, I’m a native New Yorker. Desantis should have done it too. Texas also closed their state to keep sickies from Louisiana out. And if election is postponed, so be it. How do you not get this ?

golfing eagles 03-28-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeM (Post 1735489)
Do you not get this is a war? Keeping an infected person away from your state makes total sense. I hate all the New Yorkers that brought this crap to Florida so we’re now a potential hot spot. And yes, I’m a native New Yorker. Desantis should have done it too. Texas also closed their state to keep sickies from Louisiana out. And if election is postponed, so be it. How do you not get this ?

Yeah, I get it. And the concept that people would be willing to shred the constitution is more frightening than the virus

vintageogauge 03-28-2020 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1735506)
Yeah, I get it. And the concept that people would be willing to shred the constitution is more frightening than the virus

I vote by mail.

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1735525)
OK.. So the president can't suspend an election but the governor of Rhode Island can suspend the 4th amendment? In what universe? Doesn't really matter, a judge will shoot it down in a heartbeat

Under bona fide national emergencies, executive power tends to supersede judicial review. The doctrine of martial law pertains.

DianeM 03-28-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1735525)
OK.. So the president can't suspend an election but the governor of Rhode Island can suspend the 4th amendment? In what universe? Doesn't really matter, a judge will shoot it down in a heartbeat

No one is going to refute this very wise action except the loony ACLU.

The 4th amendment guards against search and seizure in YOUR HOME. Really has nothing with an officer telling you to turn your ass around and go back where you belong.

anothersteve 03-28-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeM (Post 1735593)
No one is going to refute this very wise action except the loony ACLU.

The 4th amendment guards against search and seizure in YOUR HOME. Really has nothing with an officer telling you to turn your ass around and go back where you belong.

This isn't about the ACLU. It's about Martial Law of which you seem to know nothing about. With Martial Law, there is no law and "they" will and can come into your house without your permission or court order. Read up on it. It has never been invoked in it's fullest, and I hope to God it never will. That will be the end of America and one hell of a bloodbath. Scary **** and a very slippery slope.

Constitutional Topic: Martial Law - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
Steve

DeanFL 03-28-2020 08:07 PM

USA TODAY

Florida coronavirus cases pass 4000: state border checkpoints begin, vacation rentals halted

Florida cases pass 4,000; governor advises, 'Don't come here'

DianeM 03-28-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1735615)
This isn't about the ACLU. It's about Martial Law of which you seem to know nothing about. With Martial Law, there is no law and "they" will and can come into your house without your permission or court order. Read up on it. It has never been invoked in it's fullest, and I hope to God it never will. That will be the end of America and one hell of a bloodbath. Scary **** and a slippery slope.

Constitutional Topic: Martial Law - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
Steve

Where, prey tell, do you get Martial Law from an officer turning away cars with New York plates? Bit of a stretch there.

Me - I’m all in favor. This is a war with an invisible army that needs to be turned away. Too bad DeSantis didn’t act sooner and chase the spring breakers

anothersteve 03-28-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeM (Post 1735622)
Where, prey tell, do you get Martial Law from an officer turning away cars with New York plates? Bit of a stretch there.

Me - I’m all in favor. This is a war with an invisible army that needs to be turned away. Too bad DeSantis didn’t act sooner and chase the spring breakers

Read back. This conversation turned to the discussion of Martial Law and the slippery slope. This is how it starts. Now everyone is ringing the "war bells". Now it's getting to be a "war" with the states all over again. Slippery slope!
Steve

DianeM 03-28-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1735630)
Read back. This conversation turned to the discussion of Martial Law and the slippery slope. This is how it starts. Now everyone is ringing the "war bells". Now it's getting to be a "war" with the states all over again. Slippery slope!
Steve

And I pulled it back to the original subject. You’re being an alarmist over a governor’s smart move but enjoy your paranoia.

Texas has barred Louisiana plates. Arizona is considering barring California plates. Those that are still healthy don’t want to be overrun by those that are sick. Works for me.

anothersteve 03-28-2020 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeM (Post 1735635)
And I pulled it back to the original subject. You’re being an alarmist over a governor’s smart move but enjoy your paranoia.

Texas has barred Louisiana plates. Arizona is considering barring California plates. Those that are still healthy don’t want to be overrun by those that are sick. Works for me.

"War" between the states all over again, not paranoia, it's happening.
Steve

DianeM 03-28-2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1735639)
"War" between the states all over again, not paranoia, it's happening.
Steve

Such is life.

anothersteve 03-28-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeM (Post 1735659)
Such is life.

Nice cavalier attitude. I rest my case.

Steve

golfing eagles 03-29-2020 05:29 AM

OK, now for some perspective: My girlfriend's son lives in Rhode Island. They are NOT going door to door with armed national guardsman searching for New Yorkers. They are ringing doorbells and asking if there are any out of state visitors, and if so handing out INFORMATION on self-quarantine. This is a long way from the obvious violation of the 4th amendment suggested in the OP

Nannyof3 03-29-2020 05:42 AM

Let’s build a wall around every state

Two Bills 03-29-2020 05:53 AM

When Moses was looking for somewhere to take the Israelites, God suggested he go to America.
Moses was horrified.
"Have you seen their Constitution?" he replied
"27 Ammendments, it's going to be nothing but trouble!"
"Oy Vey! We are having enough problems keeping these 10 bl**dy Commandments you dumped on us!"

Heyitsrick 03-29-2020 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1735706)
OK, now for some perspective: My girlfriend's son lives in Rhode Island. They are NOT going door to door with armed national guardsman searching for New Yorkers. They are ringing doorbells and asking if there are any out of state visitors, and if so handing out INFORMATION on self-quarantine. This is a long way from the obvious violation of the 4th amendment suggested in the OP

According to the RI governor, they are explicitly looking for those who have been to NY door-to-door:

Quote:

"Right now, we have a pinpointed risk that we need to address, and we need to be very serious and that risk is called New York City," said Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo at a news conference Friday.
Starting Saturday, Rhode Island law enforcement officers and the National Guard will be "going door-to-door" in coastal communities, asking people if they've been to New York and requesting their contact information, she said
Source: CNN Rhode Island coronavirus: State is looking for New Yorkers to slow the spread of the virus - CNN