Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Rhode Island police stopping cars with New York plates (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/rhode-island-police-stopping-cars-new-york-plates-304482/)

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 08:42 AM

Rhode Island police stopping cars with New York plates

Kudos to the governor of Rhode Island. This is what needs to happen even though it’s not pleasant. But, it’s real world.

I say this a someone who was born in NYC and grew up in NJ. Sad.

“”Rhode Island police began stopping cars with New York plates Friday. On Saturday, the National Guard will help them conduct house-to-house searches to find people who traveled from New York and demand 14 days of self-quarantine.

“Right now we have a pinpointed risk,” Governor Gina Raimondo said. “That risk is called New York City.” “

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

We need to do something similar in Florida before it’s too late.

GoodLife 03-28-2020 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 83308

VApeople 03-28-2020 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaninVA (Post 1735139)
We need to do something similar in Florida before it’s too late.

No we don't.

If you are worried about the Corona virus, then assume every person carries the virus and avoid being close to them. That's about it.

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1735166)
No we don't.

If you are worried about the Corona virus, then assume every person carries the virus and avoid being close to them. That's about it.

I'm already doing that ...

I think what the RI Governor has done is basic common sense in a pandemic and helps reduce the risk to all.

anothersteve 03-28-2020 09:12 AM

“While the Governor may have the power to suspend some state laws and regulations to address this medical emergency, she cannot suspend the Constitution,” Rhode Island ACLU executive director Steven Brown said in a statement. “Under the Fourth Amendment, having a New York state license plate simply does not, and cannot, constitute ‘probable cause’ to allow police to stop a car and interrogate the driver, no matter how laudable the goal of the stop may be.”

I agree. What's next.......door to door knocks, break-ins and searches? Sorry but this does not sit well with me and is a very slippery slope. Where does, will, it stop?

Steve

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1735188)
“While the Governor may have the power to suspend some state laws and regulations to address this medical emergency, she cannot suspend the Constitution,” Rhode Island ACLU executive director Steven Brown said in a statement. “Under the Fourth Amendment, having a New York state license plate simply does not, and cannot, constitute ‘probable cause’ to allow police to stop a car and interrogate the driver, no matter how laudable the goal of the stop may be.”

I agree. What's next.......door to door knocks, break-ins and searches? Sorry but this does not sit well with me and is a very slippery slope. Where does, will, it stop?

Steve

Hey it's a medical emergency. The normal rules (temporarily) don't apply. So far, she hasn't declared martial law but could if need be.

DianeM 03-28-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1735188)

Steve

Does anyone really care what the ACLU thinks? Kudos for the governor of Rhode Island for keeping possibly infected people out of the state and trying to keep it clean. It should be the rule in all states right now. We are in a war of safety.

Chatbrat 03-28-2020 10:02 AM

civil liberties don't mean a thing to a dead person--FL should have done the same thing weeks ago

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1735250)
civil liberties don't mean a thing to a dead person--FL should have done the same thing weeks ago

Yes, indeed.

The ACLU can always be counted upon to be a pain in the (censored) at just the right time

Ecuadog 03-28-2020 12:07 PM

I am considering taking lessons to rid myself of my NewYawk accent.

BS Beef 03-28-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1735148)

Brilliant :clap2:

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecuadog (Post 1735349)
I am considering taking lessons to rid myself of my NewYawk accent.

That's actually quite funny. :bigbow:

My wife is from Mississippi ... for a small fee, we can offer you a short course in how to talk Southern.

Number 10 GI 03-28-2020 01:37 PM

In my best german accent, "Giff me your papersss pleeze".

DianeM 03-28-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaninVA (Post 1735389)
That's actually quite funny. :bigbow:

My wife is from Mississippi ... for a small fee, we can offer you a short course in how to talk Southern.

Cute but then we’d all say “y’all”.

Topspinmo 03-28-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1735166)
No we don't.

No we don’t? Look up hundreds of flights arriving daily. I sure their all going to stay home 14 days.