Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   FYI: Other options for food delivery (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/fyi-other-options-food-delivery-304485/)

queasy27 03-28-2020 09:23 AM

FYI: Other options for food delivery

A couple of people have mentioned being homebound and perhaps a bit concerned about our local grocery delivery services currently being overwhelmed.

Other options are:

Schwans delivers frozen foods, including fruits and vegetables.

Meal kit services such as Blue Apron, Silver Cuisine (designed for seniors) and Home Chef.

Door Dash and Grub Hub deliver from local restaurants.

None of them are inexpensive, mind you!

queasy27 03-29-2020 11:07 PM

I just saw that Sam's Club is offering curbside pickup for seniors:

"Starting this Thursday, March 26, Sam’s Club locations nationwide will offer early shopping hours every Tuesday and Thursday from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. for seniors and those with disabilities or compromised immune systems. This includes our pharmacy and optical centers and will last until further notice. We’re also introducing a new concierge service. During special shopping hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., these members can shop Sam’s Club without ever leaving their car. From a designated parking location, members in need can place their order from their car, and a Sam’s Club associate will grab the items on the list."

Kahuna32162 03-30-2020 08:32 AM

we shopped Publix via Instacart yesterday, at our door within 2 hours.

CFrance 03-30-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 (Post 1736642)
we shopped Publix via Instacart yesterday, at our door within 2 hours.

The first time I ordered from Instacart, they contacted me about my order asking for permission to substitute items.

The last time I shopped at Instacart (over a week ago), despite the fact that I noted No Substitutions Please in the special instructions box, the shopper substituted six items I can't use, without asking me. I sent two emails to customer service (there is no phone number to call listed on their web site). I have received no response.

Substituting chicken wings for boneless, skinless chicken breasts? Lamb necks for lamb chops? Full fat turkey sausage for Jennie-O 97% lean turkey sausage? Come ON! These items are currently in the freezer awaiting a response from Instacart. I guess my husband will be clogging his arteries, or we will be "eating" the cost and throwing them out.

I am now afraid to order from them.

Bill32 03-30-2020 09:05 AM

We had a very good First use experience with instacart/Publix. Constant communication with our shopper as he asked questions and delivered within two hours.

Nucky 03-30-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1736652)
The first time I ordered from Instacart, they contacted me about my order asking for permission to substitute items.

The last time I shopped at Instacart (over a week ago), despite the fact that I noted No Substitutions Please in the special instructions box, the shopper substituted six items I can't use, without asking me. I sent two emails to customer service (there is no phone number to call listed on their web site). I have received no response.

Substituting chicken wings for boneless, skinless chicken breasts? Lamb necks for lamb chops? Full fat turkey sausage for Jennie-O 97% lean turkey sausage? Come ON! These items are currently in the freezer awaiting a response from Instacart. I guess my husband will be clogging his arteries, or we will be "eating" the cost and throwing them out.

I am now afraid to order from them.

If the payment for the service was via Credit Card then there is your answer. If that doesn't work then let me know and I'll call Vito & Rocco. They always get results except the they were trying to collect on a Lobster bet for a Pal of ours and so far after 4 plus years, No Dice! :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

CFrance 03-30-2020 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill32 (Post 1736685)
We had a very good First use experience with instacart/Publix. Constant communication with our shopper as he asked questions and delivered within two hours.

That was my experience the first time around. I am hopeful it will be like that again. I am discouraged, however, not to have heard anything back from them about the messed-up order from last time. It could be they had to hire more people and my shopper was inexperienced or forgot the procedure to contact the customer about substitutions. Or she didn't read the notation.

The fact that she noted on my account page that "Chicken wings were all they had" did not help.

TexaninVA 03-30-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1736692)
If the payment for the service was via Credit Card then there is your answer. If that doesn't work then let me know and I'll call Vito & Rocco. They always get results except the they were trying to collect on a Lobster bet for a Pal of ours and so far after 4 plus years, No Dice! :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Vito & Rocco ... that got my attention. :bigbow:

CFrance 03-30-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Can you have them go after Lufthansa for me too, Nucky?!

Viperguy 03-30-2020 03:14 PM

Walmart on line, drive up and they stick it in your car. Works great except everyone has picked up on it. Hard to get a pickup time now. I've been using it for over a year. Easy-peasy.

saratogaman 03-30-2020 03:26 PM

Same good experience here, in Duval! Two hours...

golfing eagles 03-30-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

That's because I know Vito and Rocco's boss :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Nucky 03-30-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1736904)
Can you have them go after Lufthansa for me too, Nucky?!

For you I'll try but they normally don't squeeze any company with that many Vowels in the name! I think it's a professional courtesy! :boxing2::boxing2:

Nucky 03-30-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1736930)
That's because I know Vito and Rocco's boss :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

These are the two guy's from Staten Island. You know over there near the place! :1rotfl: I know that you know where I'm talkin about and so does that Poster who told us all to stay the whatchmacallit home.

Yo, Yous know Sal directly? :1rotfl: :mademyday:

I may have a little somethin 4 them when this passes! Just Kidding, maybe! I know you know what I mean?

queasy27 03-30-2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1736652)
Substituting chicken wings for boneless, skinless chicken breasts? Lamb necks for lamb chops? Full fat turkey sausage for Jennie-O 97% lean turkey sausage? Come ON!

The funniest for me was ordering vegan burgers and getting a "substitute" of ground beef.

So much depends on the common sense of the person doing the picking.