Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Bicycle Club Spitting Advice!!! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/bicycle-club-spitting-advice-304491/)

YouNeverKnow 03-28-2020 09:57 AM

Bicycle Club Spitting Advice!!!

1 Attachment(s)
I could not believe the piece in the paper today about the Lake Sumter Bicycle Club and the advice their president gives them for riding! Specifically if you need to spit you should ride in the rear! No one should be spitting! What about golf carts that might be following the group or convertibles passing by the group and having the last person in the group spitting into the air? She says she felt it best to follow the CDC guidelines for group riding.
I don’t remember the CDC saying it’s ok to be spitting into the air while moving.
If you feel the need to be spitting STAY HOME!

DianeM 03-28-2020 09:59 AM

How disgusting. Spitting is gross and spreads germs which we should be trying not to do at this time.

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeM (Post 1735249)
How disgusting. Spitting is gross and spreads germs which we should be trying not to do at this time.

Is it just me, or do most bicycle riders around here seem entitled?

DianeM 03-28-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaninVA (Post 1735259)

Big time !!

Fredman 03-28-2020 10:36 AM

Spandex makes them special

Two Bills 03-28-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredman (Post 1735284)
Spandex makes them special

Also shows their shortcomings as well!:icon_wink:

Fuzz323 03-28-2020 11:29 AM

To What.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaninVA (Post 1735259)

Okay - I do ride almost every day - I do NOT have any spandex outfits, shorts and a T shirt work just fine. I was just wondering what they/we are entitled to. I may be missing out on something or not but what is it. I ride the intermodal paths most of the time and have almost been wiped out three times (and counting probably) by some moron in a golf cart. I have seen folks in golf carts spitting. Spitting is ugly and if I have to do it because of the exercise level I am very careful of where and when but occasionally it is needed. So there it is. And here we go - anyway stay healthy!!

graciegirl 03-28-2020 02:02 PM

There is no "P" or "N" in Sumter. There is however a "T" and "N" in Gantner.

Fredman 03-28-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1735403)
There is no "T" or "N" in Sumter. There is however a "T" and "N" in Gantner.

Welcome back

Mleeja 03-28-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1735403)
There is no "P" or "N" in Sumter. There is however a "T" and "N" in Gantner.

Welcome back! Your “sage” comments have been missed!

gatherer47 03-28-2020 02:45 PM

entitled biker

today while traveling in my golf cart I approached a tunnel and a guy on a bike came roaring out,failed to stop at the stop sign,and never even looked left to see if anyone[me] was coming-at the next intersection he went through without stopping and I yelled "hey stop sign"--he turned around and pulled up beside me to say " I can drive however I want"---now if that's not a guy who thinks he's entitled ,I don't know what is-these guys feel they're above our traffic laws

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-28-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonbrown (Post 1735411)
So what do you do for exercise "YouNeverKnow"?

Golf, walk, swim, dance, ride the recliner?

And, you never spit?

Really?

I don't know about that poster but I ride my bike often, partly for transportation and partly for exercise. Mostly because I enjoy riding it. I ride solo; I don't like sharing my riding time with other people.

And - the only time I EVER spit is at the dentist's office, or after I've brushed my teeth.

Polar Bear 03-28-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatherer47 (Post 1735431)
today while traveling in my golf cart I approached a tunnel and a guy on a bike came roaring out,failed to stop at the stop...

...these guys feel they're above our traffic laws

Classic. “a guy” turns into “these guys”.

TexaninVA 03-28-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzz323 (Post 1735322)
Okay - I do ride almost every day - I do NOT have any spandex outfits, shorts and a T shirt work just fine. I was just wondering what they/we are entitled to. I may be missing out on something or not but what is it. I ride the intermodal paths most of the time and have almost been wiped out three times (and counting probably) by some moron in a golf cart. I have seen folks in golf carts spitting. Spitting is ugly and if I have to do it because of the exercise level I am very careful of where and when but occasionally it is needed. So there it is. And here we go - anyway stay healthy!!

Maybe there's a correlation between bicycle riders who wear spandex and those who seem entitled?? Riders like you, by contrast who wear shorts and a T-shirt, would seem to me more normal and less likely to be entitled.

Therefore, maybe all we have to do is ban spandex while riding bikes and problem solved. :a040:

Villageswimmer 03-28-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzz323 (Post 1735322)

I appreciate your honesty but what “exercise level” requires spitting? I’ve exercised my entire life and never did I spit or even think about it. I’m serious. I’ve never heard of this before. I’ll need to pay more attention when I see a bicycle group.