Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Washing your face to prevent Covid-19? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/washing-your-face-prevent-covid-19-a-304617/)

Velvet 03-30-2020 12:34 PM

Washing your face to prevent Covid-19?

Anyone else wonders why, given that the thinking is that the virus enters through our eyes, mouth and nose why is the advice to wash our hands, but no one mentions to wash our face?

We could wash our hands for 20 seconds or more and I would think afterwards it would be more important to wash our face for 20 seconds?

Two Bills 03-30-2020 12:57 PM

To the best of my knowledge the virus is not airborne, unless you are in the range of a cougher, or sneezer who is a carrier.
The virus does however live on surfaces for some time, which are touched by hands.
Hence washing you hands frequently.
If you touch your face, then you can transfer virus to mouth, nose, eyes, and contaminate yourself.
Which seems to be the main source of infection.
Nothing wrong with washing face, even having a shower if you have been out, and feel vulnerable.

bumpygreens 03-30-2020 02:33 PM

Skin is a barrier

Skin is a barrier. A virus can enter through a mucous membrane -- under your eyelids, in your nose where it can be inhaled into your respiratory tract, and the mucosa in your mouth. A virus can not penetrate your skin.

bumpygreens 03-30-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1736855)
To the best of my knowledge the virus is not airborne, unless you are in the range of a cougher, or sneezer who is a carrier.
The virus does however live on surfaces for some time, which are touched by hands.
If you touch your face, then you can transfer virus to mouth, nose, eyes, and contaminate yourself.
Nothing wrong with washing face, even having a shower if you have been out, and feel vulnerable.

Coughing and sneezing are the obvious things. Most people don't really know how much we spit in a day. Even talking puts microscopic particles into the air that can be inhaled by the person you're talking to. You can't smell a virus, but have you ever talked to someone and noticed their breath? In order to smell something, the particle you are inhaling has to have an aroma or an odor. (Try not to think of that the next time you are in a public restroom!) This is why you should stay six feet away from people when you're out in public. If someone coughs or sneezes, don't even walk through that area for a couple minutes, if you want to be extra safe.

Northwoods 03-30-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

This is a new article. It suggests the virus is airborne
Coronavirus could be airborne, study suggests | Fox News

Schneil 03-30-2020 09:30 PM

That's what they say, but there's such a higher incidence of men who have the virus. Most men shave daily, thereby exposing hair follicles, open pores and possible cuts - could that be an entryway?

davem4616 03-31-2020 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1736844)
Anyone else wonders why, given that the thinking is that the virus enters through our eyes, mouth and nose why is the advice to wash our hands, but no one mentions to wash our face?

We could wash our hands for 20 seconds or more and I would think afterwards it would be more important to wash our face for 20 seconds?

pay attention...the other part of the message is DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE

soap and hot water break down the fatty substance that protects and surrounds the virus and it dies quickly

keep your finger nails short so it can't hide there...use cream on your hands so it can't hide in the cracks in your hands

now....all that said, yes wash your face, but AFTER you have washed your hands....and keep your hands away from your face

not a difficult concept to understand

CoachKandSportsguy 03-31-2020 06:26 AM

Men versus women and corona virus

There have been some small studies which has shown that the difference is estrogen, so younger women have a much better chance of having a mild case versus elderly women with little or no estrogen which then equals the male death rate.

Note: This post is for information only. The study was small, involved mice, and this information was gained through reading medical information on the job by CoachK. However, the difference between men and woman is still uncertain.

sportsguy

Byte1 03-31-2020 07:24 AM

Quote:

I would suspect that everyone washes their face at least once a day. Many of us take showers daily also. Perhaps, they do not suggest that you wash your face because they believe that most folks with common sense DO wash themselves on a daily basis. You touch things with your hands, not your face. So, you would logically wash your hands more than you would your face.

ladyarwen3 03-31-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

The objective is to wash any virus-containing droplet residue off your hands before you bring that virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. I doubt your face has contaminated droplets on it unless someone coughs or sneezes within 6 feet of you.

LowOnCash 03-31-2020 08:26 AM

The real problem is you don't want to chance putting your dirty hands on your face- its a good ideal if you use a wash rag or sorts.

Mike

jarodrig 03-31-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byte1 (Post 1737164)
I would suspect that everyone washes their face at least once a day. Many of us take showers daily also. Perhaps, they do not suggest that you wash your face because they believe that most folks with common sense DO wash themselves on a daily basis. You touch things with your hands, not your face. So, you would logically wash your hands more than you would your face.

Would those people with "common sense" be the same ones that are still getting together with large groups to have their driveway parties ??

Common sense is a relative term..... simply put, you can't fix stupid !!! :popcorn:

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-31-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Correct. Most people are not touching surfaces with their face.

TandHSTAR@AOL.com 03-31-2020 09:54 AM

Oh my gosh. Anything else you need to be told to stay safe. First reminder to wash hands. What were you doing up to now. Now you have to be told to wash your face?? No don't reply. I am already confused as to how were people taking care of themselves.

Rodneysblue 03-31-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Yes wash your hands, but don't wash or take showers as this will help with social distancing.:1rotfl: