Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Cart Brakes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/cart-brakes-304664/)

legendlake 03-31-2020 12:32 PM

Cart Brakes

How long do brakes last before they need replacing. Seems to require a lot of pressure to stop.

villagetinker 03-31-2020 01:13 PM

They might be out of adjustment. Ours have an automatic adjuster which activates when the cart is backed up and the brakes applied, like the old style drum brakes on cars. There might be a build up of dust or the brakes may be glazed, and as you asked they might be worn out. On all of the carts i have looked at, removing the lug nuts and the wheel will give access to the brake drum, which can easily be removed. NOTE: the cart is on a LEVEL surface, and the front wheels are blocked and the brake is off, and key removed. I do not remember if the brake pads were riveted or bonded, but i was just looking at some new ones and the pad was about 3/16 inch thick, if you are down to 1/16 or less consider replacing. There are several vendors that will do this at your house, I used Todd Casey a couple of times.

karostay 03-31-2020 01:27 PM

Have mine checked every year cart is 10 years old Willy says brakes look great

Topspinmo 03-31-2020 10:47 PM

What brand cart? Most carts only have brakes on rear tires IMO inadequate for carts modified to go 20 MPH. If drum brakes dust can build up and cause more pressure to slow cart down especially on down hills. When you slam them on they should skid the tires. If they don’t you need to inspect them or have someone do it with knowledge.

legendlake 04-01-2020 06:18 AM

Cart Brakes

Thanks for all your input

TommyT 04-01-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendlake (Post 1737396)
How long do brakes last before they need replacing.

Depends how hard or soft of a stopper the driver might be !!

bilcon 04-01-2020 11:26 AM

I have a 2007 Club Cart that still has the original brakes and they stop fine. I do have it serviced once a year and do not use it a lot.

biker1 04-01-2020 11:56 AM

What brand of cart and what year? Many of the Yamaha carts have a wet disk brake that is internal to the differential and will probably never need replacing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendlake (Post 1737396)
How long do brakes last before they need replacing. Seems to require a lot of pressure to stop.

KennyP 04-01-2020 03:18 PM

A large majority of brakes are adjusted incorrectly. This will cause more pedal pressure to stop. Find a competent shop to properly adjust them. Brakes last a long time, 10 years plus, especially if you have a gas cart.