Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Mosquitoes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/mosquitoes-304708/)

jhc3418@gmail.com 04-01-2020 11:48 AM

Mosquitoes

I've lived in the Belle Aire section for almost 20 years and have never had a problem with mosquitoes before. Has anyone else noticed the problem? Also, who would I call to complain to? Thanks Jim

champion6 04-01-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhc3418@gmail.com (Post 1737986)
I've lived in the Belle Aire section for almost 20 years and have never had a problem with mosquitoes before. Has anyone else noticed the problem? Also, who would I call to complain to? Thanks Jim

If you are in Sumter County: Sumter County Mosquito Control

karostay 04-01-2020 12:43 PM

Our side is built out no need for spraying

JerryLBell 04-01-2020 04:14 PM

Not a hater here but we have noticed that mosquitoes are up in the evenings from previous years. I wouldn't think this semi-drought we're having would breed mosquitoes but it seems to be doing so. Fortunately, it only seems to be in the evenings and so we just don't walk the neighborhood after the sun goes down.

Buffalo Jim 04-01-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champion6 (Post 1738016)
If you are in Sumter County: Sumter County Mosquito Control

Last Fall the mosquito population seemed to become very large and many Villagers were complaining / questioning the spraying situation . I noticed a great difference from past seasons so I found the right Department in Sumter County and was able to communicate with one of the long time Sumter County employees in pest control . He explained a great deal about the restrictions which they have to abide by as to where they can and can not spray and the frequency . For example he stated that they are not allowed to spray at all in the Brownwood Town Square area because there is a small body of water which is located around RT.44 and a bit along East Torch Lake Drive . Then he went on to share that the product that they are permitted to use has minimal effectiveness . As he explained it " the chemical only eliminates mosquitos which are in the air at the time that we pass by spraying . It does nothing to eliminate those that are protected in the grass or in the shrubs in the general area . And it is only effective for about a minute or two " . He went on to say that the regulations regarding spraying had been changed radically by State Government in recent years . Finally , he explained that Sumter County was about to outsource the spraying and pest control effective 11/15 . And that he and a few other long time employees were being let go . There would be a staff of one or two to deal with the public and manage the contracted companies . His final words to me " good luck with the mosquito service next season " . And now here it is .
Finally , I have no idea how much of the above is true however it is pretty much exactly how he explained the situation to me ........ so don't shoot the messenger ! Thanks

golfing eagles 04-01-2020 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryLBell (Post 1738212)
Not a hater here but we have noticed that mosquitoes are up in the evenings from previous years. I wouldn't think this semi-drought we're having would breed mosquitoes but it seems to be doing so. Fortunately, it only seems to be in the evenings and so we just don't walk the neighborhood after the sun goes down.

This would be the ultimate irony---while everyone is focused on coronavirus, we have an epidemic of triple E (Eastern Equine Encephalitis) from ineffective spraying.

Not funny, just ironic

Topspinmo 04-01-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryLBell (Post 1738212)

Probably coming out of retention pond? Don’t have to be drought for them to bloom in stagnant water.

kaydee 04-01-2020 10:58 PM

Agree with the OP....been here 18 plus yrs & this yr is the worst ever.

PugMom 04-02-2020 05:45 AM

up north we had a big problem with mosquitos & they rarely sprayed, so i would get a raid yard guard 2x a year. it made a difference, but you have to be careful & set it off @ night when everyone was indoors. the only problem is it kills off good bugs too

daca55 04-02-2020 06:14 AM

Was out last night In Buttonwood and the mosquitos were everywhere. Had to go in. Been here 9 years and have never seen it like this.

davem4616 04-02-2020 06:50 AM

well, doesn't this sound like one more reason to stay home!

we actually haven't noticed many....maybe it's because we put a little suntan screen on, a large hat and take our walks during the day to get some exercise

by 3:30 we're inside sipping down martini's everyday

cleser 04-02-2020 07:49 AM

Is there a county commissioner that could/would respond?

champion6 04-02-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleser (Post 1738606)
Is there a county commissioner that could/would respond?

Yes, see link in post #2.

Shagone 04-02-2020 08:53 AM

We live in the Village of St. Charles and have noticed the same thing. They are swarming here at around dark. I don't know if they have quit spraying or what but that is one of things we love about living here.....normally very few, if any, mosquitoes.

HappyRetired 04-02-2020 09:56 AM

I, too, have spoken to the Control officer. The explanation was similar to one posted. STATE regulations preclude using effective products and limit frequency. The county's hands are tied. They have traps which have to have a certain number of mosquitos before they can spray. I told them to put it in my front yard! Mosquitos love me and I'd attract plenty. The problem has only been in the last 4 or 5 years. Prior to that I never saw a mosquito within The Villages--only beyond.