Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Grocery pick-up (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/grocery-pick-up-304739/)

jebartle 04-02-2020 06:01 AM

Grocery pick-up

Loved it, sure this will be my new norm.
Ordered online at Walmart, pickup was perfect,
No fuss, no touch! Just for comparison, ordered same brands at Publix $40 more. I love Publix but NOT during coronavirus.

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-02-2020 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1738502)
No fuss, no touch! Just for comparison, ordered same brands at Publix $40 more. I love Publix but NOT during coronavirus.

If one has a sale on certain brands and the other doesn't, then you can't compare prices. When Publix has a BOGO sale on something that is just normally "lower" priced at Walmart - and you buy two of those items - you will pay more at Walmart.

jebartle 04-02-2020 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1738508)
If one has a sale on certain brands and the other doesn't, then you can't compare prices. When Publix has a BOGO sale on something that is just normally "lower" priced at Walmart - and you buy two of those items - you will pay more at Walmart.

I was careful to only compare prices on like items and at same time. Trust me, I love Publix and their wonderful service but pick -up at Walmart was a piece of cake.

jebartle 04-02-2020 06:50 AM

As an added bonus, my list of groceries does not grow with non essentials that I throw in basket in route to cashier, ha!

Michael Charles 04-02-2020 07:24 AM

Quote:

I have started using the Wal-Mart on-line ordering and curbside pick-up the last 10 days. The website searching for specific items is a challenge but it might get easier for me once I teach myself how to properly search. I like that I'm able to "save" items that I want to order again. After this pandemic I plan to continue shopping like this for getting my "staples" then going inside for my produce and meats. I also like publix but for me its much safer at Wal-Mart right now.

Carla B 04-02-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Publix seems to have become more expensive over the past few years. I'm trying to gain weight and have a weakness for croissants...a package of four large ones in the Publix bakery was $13.99!!

asianthree 04-02-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla B (Post 1738725)
Publix seems to have become more expensive over the past few years. I'm trying to gain weight and have a weakness for croissants...a package of four large ones in the Publix bakery was $13.99!!

This is price gouging, it need to be reported, Walmart prices have risen more than expected. Trader Joe’s, no rise in any prices, they just didn’t have any new item end cap.

Inexes@aol.com 04-02-2020 02:04 PM

Yea, I'm not the only one.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla B (Post 1738725)

I fear you are going to get a lot of feed back on "trying to gain weight". I have been trying for 5 years and not having much (any) success. I know, millions of people will never understand, but I believe it is more difficult to GAIN than it is to lose weight. And I have an added problem.... anything I buy that is "fattening", my spouse seems to find before I can get to it and he has found all my hiding places, lol. And with the present crisis, I find all the "comfort foods" disappearing as fast as everything else...... so much for our gaining weight. Good luck to you and if you find a way, please share a PM.

queasy27 04-02-2020 02:22 PM

Walmart also has grocery delivery and will leave a "no touch" order at your door or garage, etc. without a signature. They offer an unlimited plan for $12.99 a month, otherwise the fee varies from $8-10 per order depending on distance from the store. $30 minimum.

Delivery times are scheduled in 60-minute increments and the drivers have always arrived within the specified hour.

An outside company is contracted for the deliveries and tipping is expected. Basically, Walmart's less expensive prices are offset by delivery fees but it's still a real boon for those of us who can't drive.

I tried Instacart yesterday for Publix and they pushed out the scheduled delivery date ("sometime on Thursday") by 3 days without even notifying me. Pfft.

tejas 04-02-2020 02:32 PM

Which Walmart did you use? Are you talking about the neighborhood Walmart by Colony Plaza or did you go to a large Walmart like the one in Oxford off 466?

simpkinp 04-02-2020 02:47 PM

I have been using Walmart pick up service for a year. Now this crazy panic buying has caused an overload and I can’t get a pick up time. I buy what I need, not enough for a year. That is what is causing all these shortages. I expect wiser actions on our fellow Villagers. Leave some food for others.

patfla06 04-03-2020 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com (Post 1738958)
I fear you are going to get a lot of feed back on "trying to gain weight". I have been trying for 5 years and not having much (any) success. I know, millions of people will never understand, but I believe it is more difficult to GAIN than it is to lose weight. And I have an added problem.... anything I buy that is "fattening", my spouse seems to find before I can get to it and he has found all my hiding places, lol. And with the present crisis, I find all the "comfort foods" disappearing as fast as everything else...... so much for our gaining weight. Good luck to you and if you find a way, please share a PM.

Put your goodies in a box and label it TOFU. :a040:

bagboy 04-03-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpkinp (Post 1739022)
I have been using Walmart pick up service for a year. Now this crazy panic buying has caused an overload and I can’t get a pick up time. I buy what I need, not enough for a year. That is what is causing all these shortages. I expect wiser actions on our fellow Villagers. Leave some food for others.

As for pick up times, I tried ordering food for my mother in Ohio through Kroger. Pick up time and date were 6 days from now. I'm thinking stores have alot of product, but not enough help to keep the time frame minimized.

Boomer 04-03-2020 01:40 PM

A little segue by me here, but I thought this thread about groceries might be a good place to share some info:

On the CNN website, Dr. Gupta has a very short video about sanitizing your groceries. It is not done in an alarming manner, just a practical, easy demonstration with info that can help.

eremite06 04-04-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queasy27 (Post 1738984)
Walmart also has grocery delivery and will leave a "no touch" order at your door or garage, etc. without a signature. They offer an unlimited plan for $12.99 a month, otherwise the fee varies from $8-10 per order depending on distance from the store. $30 minimum.

Delivery times are scheduled in 60-minute increments and the drivers have always arrived within the specified hour.

An outside company is contracted for the deliveries and tipping is expected. Basically, Walmart's less expensive prices are offset by delivery fees but it's still a real boon for those of us who can't drive.

I tried Instacart yesterday for Publix and they pushed out the scheduled delivery date ("sometime on Thursday") by 3 days without even notifying me. Pfft.

We ordered March 29th for a delivery date of April 2nd. Just now got a text stating delivery today. I'll believe it when I see it!!

jebartle 04-04-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas (Post 1739001)
Which Walmart did you use? Are you talking about the neighborhood Walmart by Colony Plaza or did you go to a large Walmart like the one in Oxford off 466?

Summerfield on 27/441.

Nucky 04-04-2020 03:12 PM

Since we have regularly been using Walmart on 441 or Walmart Neighborhood Market for about a year for pickup I would highly recommend The Neighborhood Market to lower your stress and aggravation level. They are really doing their best under these circumstances so budget your time properly. There is so much more room to move around with your car at the Neighborhood Market.