Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Golf in, Pickleball is out (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/golf-pickleball-out-304746/)

alemorkam 04-02-2020 09:55 AM

Golf in, Pickleball is out

Just reported by the Daily Sun. All courts will be closed until further notice tonight. All golf course will remain open.

roob1 04-02-2020 10:07 AM

Please provide link

Thanks

Found it: TheVillagesDailySun (@vdailysun) on Twitter

Quote:

Originally Posted by alemorkam (Post 1738728)
Just reported by the Daily Sun. All courts will be closed until further notice tonight. All golf course will remain open.

Topspinmo 04-02-2020 10:23 AM

Yep, wouldn’t want the developers to suffer too much. Some golfer’s are the worst offenders of the rules.

champion6 04-02-2020 10:35 AM

And from the Daily Sun Facebook page:
JUST IN: All Villages recreation and sports courts, including pickleball and tennis, will close tonight due to the governor's 30-day, stay-at-home order. Nature trails, walkways, cycling areas, golf courses and fishing ponds remain open.

Polar Bear 04-02-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1738759)
Yep, wouldn’t want the developers to suffer too much. Some golfer’s are the worst offenders of the rules.

Yeah right...

Some <fill in the blank> are the worst offenders of the rules.

Nucky 04-02-2020 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1738815)
:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl: Don't make me call Nucky! :boxing2:

Oh my! Two of my favorite posters having a conflict. Do you think it is the current circumstances we are living under?

I go to the highest Bidder! Rocco & Vito are busy rite now on another mission! :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

CW saved me the other day so thats a tie breaker.

dewilson58 04-02-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1738829)
Oh my! Two of my favorite posters having a conflict. Do you think it is the current circumstances we are living under?

I go to the highest Bidder! Rocco & Vito are busy rite now on another mission! :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Food Fight!!!! :coolsmiley:

NECHFalcon68 04-02-2020 12:21 PM

Hole in One?

It was interesting to see all the Holes-in-One listed in today's paper, especially those in past few days.

How can you have a hole-in-one when the ball doesn't go into the cup?

CWGUY 04-02-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1738829)

CW saved me the other day so thats a tie breaker.

:1rotfl: Make him an offer he can't refuse......:boom:

And remember:
Everytime you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: NOT MY CIRCUS - NOT MY MONKEYS

tomwed 04-02-2020 01:33 PM

It's a PVCIO, a pipe dream come true.

dewilson58 04-02-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NECHFalcon68 (Post 1738880)
It was interesting to see all the Holes-in-One listed in today's paper, especially those in past few days.

How??.............golf without integrity.

golfing eagles 04-02-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Pipe in one???:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Vito and Rocco are the judges

twoplanekid 04-02-2020 02:46 PM

From the District office ->

Good Afternoon Supervisors and Committee Members,

Based on guidance provided by local health officials and in compliance with the State of Florida Office of the Governor’s Executive Order Number 20-91 dated April 1, 2020, all Recreation outdoor courts and outdoor equipment will be closed effective at 5:00 p.m. today, April 2nd. The courts and equipment will remain closed until further notice.

In addition to these closures, District departments are preparing plans in which we will continue to provide essential services while following all recommended guidance of local officials, as well as remaining in compliance with the latest Executive Order. I will send you another email later today with operational changes that will take effect tomorrow, April 3rd.

As was included in the Executive Order, participating in recreation activities (consistent with social distancing) such as walking, biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. remain permitted. As Golf is conducive for social distancing and allows individuals to participate in compliance with local and state health official guidance, all courses remain open at this time.

Thank you again for your support.

Richard Baier

karostay 04-02-2020 02:49 PM

What's a Pickle Ball any way?

tomwed 04-02-2020 02:59 PM

With golf everyone has their own ball. In pickle ball it's the ball that spreads the germs. Can't you just pretend there's a ball? I pretend there is a hole?

tophcfa 04-02-2020 03:54 PM

Well, if it came down to a choice between one or the other, I applaud the choice : )

JGVillages 04-02-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1738798)
:popcorn:Look on the bright side some people's favorite sport is still available ....... MORSE BASHING. You're a level 1 player..... right? :rolleyes:

Is it smart to require employees to staff the pro shops? Is it essential to sell merchandise in the shops that not only golfers but shoppers who shouldn’t be there are handling. I think that with all the unemployed struggling the entitled golfers in The Villages could jump on the STAY AT HOME TRAIN and be extra safe. I am a pickleballer and golfer and have done neither for 3 weeks without regret. Can anyone state with certainty that of the 1000’s of golfers playing daily here that none are infected or have infected others. If you can’t STAY HOME.

Topspinmo 04-02-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1739039)
With golf everyone has their own ball. In pickle ball it's the ball that spreads the germs. Can't you just pretend there's a ball? I pretend there is a hole?

Let’s say someone spits on the course and is infected and he don’t know it? Now you hit you’re ball and it rolls through the spit. Now you pick you’re ball. About the same odds as getting it off pickleball that’s been disinfected before and after every game along with players that touch the ball. Tell me you disinfect you golf ball after every hole along with you’re hands?

Topspinmo 04-02-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1739027)
What's a Pickle Ball any way?

A round pickle!?!

VApeople 04-02-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

If you hit the cup that holds the flagstick, the United States Golf Association has ruled that counts as a hole-in-one and you can post that score as a valid round of golf that will be used to determine your USGA handicap.

kcrazorbackfan 04-02-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1738798)
:popcorn:Look on the bright side some people's favorite sport is still available ....... MORSE BASHING. You're a level 1 player..... right? :rolleyes:

MORSE BASHING over and over and over is all that some of these simple simons have to look forward to in life.

Anytime anyone damns the Morse family it's just blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I still haven't figured out, after 5 1/2 yrs. here, why The Morse's **** so many people off, the same people that probably couldn't wait to get here to what they built.

CFrance 04-02-2020 08:30 PM

Solution: portable pickleball net. End of main CYV street (only effects two houses). Chalked lines. People in grocery stores and parking lots are closer to each other than four people on a pickleball court.

The story goes (and up for question) that the family who made up the pickleball game had a dog named Pickle who chased after the ball. Questionable.

EdFNJ 04-02-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1739228)
Solution: portable pickleball net. End of main CYV street (only effects two houses). Chalked lines. People in grocery stores and parking lots are closer to each other than four people on a pickleball court.

It's a very poor comparison. When you park you leave your vehicle and walk away without much physical exertion, when you pickleball you sweat, spit when you talk, cough, fart and spread your bodily fluids unknowingly in many directions affecting OTHERS AROUND YOU.

Northwoods 04-02-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

These are all the people that are too cheap to buy drinks, but they want to claim they got a hole in one. And they want to believe they got a hole in one. To me... no way you can claim that unless you're playing a course like Grey Fox where the ball does actually "fall" into a hole that is more shallow than the normal hole.

Marathon Man 04-02-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1739179)
Let’s say someone spits on the course and is infected and he don’t know it? Now you hit you’re ball and it rolls through the spit. Now you pick you’re ball. About the same odds as getting it off pickleball that’s been disinfected before and after every game along with players that touch the ball. Tell me you disinfect you golf ball after every hole along with you’re hands?

The virus can not live on a golf ball because of the dimples. With pickleball, the virus will climb through one of the holes and wait inside the ball to jump out at you when you check for a crack. So, the odds are very different.

CFrance 04-02-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1739238)
It's a very poor comparison. When you park you leave your vehicle and walk away without much physical exertion, when you pickleball you sweat, spit when you talk, cough, fart and spread your bodily fluids unknowingly in many directions affecting OTHERS AROUND YOU.

I don't know who you play pickleball with, but nobody I play with does any of that except sweat. And not within 6 feet of each other either.

You get closer passing people on a walking trail or in a grocery store than you do playing pickleball. The cashier at Winn-Dixie yesterday was closer to me than my husband was the whole hour and a half we played that morning.

What they're trying to stop is people lining up for open play. If the players stuck to the same four to a court with the middle courts empty, it works.

How they can call pickleball non essential but golf e$$ential is beyond me. Twenty golf carts parked within inches of each other at the starter shacks and people lined up waiting to check in.

gregcharlesnelson@gmail 04-03-2020 06:00 AM

It's all relative

davem4616 04-03-2020 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1739219)
MORSE BASHING over and over and over is all that some of these simple simons have to look forward to in life.

Anytime anyone damns the Morse family it's just blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I still haven't figured out, after 5 1/2 yrs. here, why The Morse's **** so many people off, the same people that probably couldn't wait to get here to what they built.

Totally agree with this post....The Morse family has, is and will always do a fantastic job with anything they tackle....why, because they have integrity, they have vision and they certainly have a sense of responsibility.

To all the Morse-bashers I say...grow up and stop acting like cry babies...The Morse family doesn't owe you a darn thing

Oneiric 04-03-2020 06:43 AM

Common sense has been abandoned. Viruses are killed by dryness, heat, and ultraviolet. In order to get the virus from a dry plastic ball, you'd have to lick the ball right after someone handed it to you.

Marathon Man 04-03-2020 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oneiric (Post 1739337)
Common sense has been abandoned. Viruses are killed by dryness, heat, and ultraviolet. In order to get the virus from a dry plastic ball, you'd have to lick the ball right after someone handed it to you.

This is how the virus gets spread around. Do you actually think that thousands of people got the virus by licking something?

karostay 04-03-2020 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1739179)

I'd say you have better odds of getting a hole in one on every hole
Than contacting that one hypothetically infected droplet

Fore! 04-03-2020 07:14 AM

Golf employees

[QUOTE=JGVillages;1739172]Is it smart to require employees to staff the pro shops? Is it essential to sell merchandise in the shops that not only golfers but shoppers who shouldn’t be there are handling. “

Amen

Villageswimmer 04-03-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oneiric (Post 1739337)

Are you a doctor or do you just play one on TOTV?

Mamaderby 04-03-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Maybe call it a “thunk-in-one” 🤣

PoolBrews 04-03-2020 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1739216)
If you hit the cup that holds the flagstick, the United States Golf Association has ruled that counts as a hole-in-one and you can post that score as a valid round of golf that will be used to determine your USGA handicap.

Nowhere does the USGA state this. This is a current rumor that has been spread by those that want to count these as holes in one. For handicapping purposes, they state you can post your score as long as you correct the score to accurately show what your score would have actually been without the PVC. i.e. - a putt is rolling at the proper speed and hits the PVC dead center (or nearly dead center), it's probably in. If it glances off the outer portion of the PVC, it's most likely not - if you put the ball touching the PVC, the ball is rolling outside of the hole - no way it's going in.

By these rules, there is no way you can tell from the tee where the ball hit the PVC, and how hard it hit - thus no hole in one.

I had one Saturday, and another on Tuesday. I did not register them - they are not real hole in ones.

This is croquet golf, not real golf. Claiming a hole in one now is worse than a hole in one on the bigger holes (those are not sanctioned by the USGA either).

Villageswimmer 04-03-2020 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=Fore!;1739363]
Quote:

Originally Posted by JGVillages (Post 1739172)
Is it smart to require employees to staff the pro shops? Is it essential to sell merchandise in the shops that not only golfers but shoppers who shouldn’t be there are handling. “

Amen

Good question. Someone here can justify it, I’m sure.

Bay Kid 04-03-2020 07:21 AM

Not to worry, the government will take care of this golfing problem. They know best?

biker1 04-03-2020 07:27 AM

The pro shops are clearly an issue and so are the executive starter shacks. The rec department should consider dropping the daily trail fee and greens fees (for non residents) on the executives so no cash has be be exchanged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGVillages (Post 1739172)
Is it smart to require employees to staff the pro shops? Is it essential to sell merchandise in the shops that not only golfers but shoppers who shouldn’t be there are handling. I think that with all the unemployed struggling the entitled golfers in The Villages could jump on the STAY AT HOME TRAIN and be extra safe. I am a pickleballer and golfer and have done neither for 3 weeks without regret. Can anyone state with certainty that of the 1000’s of golfers playing daily here that none are infected or have infected others. If you can’t STAY HOME.

theruizs 04-03-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alemorkam (Post 1738728)

Gov, supervisors, etc. play golf, not pickleball:icon_wink:

Bambi 04-03-2020 08:13 AM

I live on a course. Five minutes ago, a golfer, left the course, walked within two feet of my lanai and rummaged thru my landscaping. Three times I asked him to leave my property and return to the course. He refused, ignored me until he found a couple balls. Stay at home order does not mean you trespass on the private property of another and refuse to leave. Called starter shack to have ambassador speak to him. I thought golf was a gentleman’s game.