Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   I’m Over It! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/im-over-304762/)

dsnrbec 04-02-2020 02:00 PM

I’m Over It!

Is anyone else getting tired of being labeled “entitled”? It seems like every time I look at any of the various social media posts, someone is accusing me/us of being entitled. I used to think it was outsiders but Villagers are doing it now, too. Just because someone is choosing to do something you don’t agree with doesn’t make them entitled! For the most part, we are caring, giving folks doing the best we can to make the most of our senior years. It’s a stressful time for all of us and we don’t all agree on every issue but let’s please stop the name calling — especially that particular one.

manaboutown 04-02-2020 02:04 PM

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

coffeebean 04-02-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsnrbec (Post 1738952)
Is anyone else getting tired of being labeled “entitled”? It seems like every time I look at any of the various social media posts, someone is accusing me/us of being entitled. I used to think it was outsiders but Villagers are doing it now, too. Just because someone is choosing to do something you don’t agree with doesn’t make them entitled! For the most part, we are caring, giving folks doing the best we can to make the most of our senior years. It’s a stressful time for all of us and we don’t all agree on every issue but let’s please stop the name calling — especially that particular one.

So......what would you like to call those who do not adhere to the guidelines? Think of another word other than "entitled". OK.....GO!!!

manaboutown 04-02-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1738960)
So......what would you like to call those who do not adhere to the guidelines? Think of another word other than "entitled". OK.....GO!!!

Palatine, privileged, heedless, thoughtless, narcissistic, special, self important, sociopathic, self centered, ...

DianeM 04-02-2020 02:12 PM

Many villagers do have an entitlement issue. Basically why most of the surrounding area despises us. In the current situation many feel the general rules do not apply to them. Stay home is only if they feel like it. They’re sneaking out like children at camp to go make out while counselors are sleeping.

dewilson58 04-02-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1738959)
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

No butter please.

nututv 04-02-2020 02:15 PM

Better deal with it. The Chicken Little's have been breeding like rabbits for a decade plus. This is what I do, 5 miles out in the gulf, by myself. No other human even in sight including the mainland. No, I'm not staying inside like animal in a zoo.

https://advkayaker.com/wp-content/up...39-768x576.jpg

Villageswimmer 04-02-2020 02:19 PM

Obtuse, cavalier, arrogant, selfish, know it all, superior, unkind...

Boomer 04-02-2020 02:29 PM

Dunning-Kruger Effect?

dsnrbec 04-02-2020 02:34 PM

OK, I get that SOME people are foolishly putting themselves and others at risk but it’s the broad, sweeping generalizations that are getting to me. There are thousands of us here with faults and shortcomings but I would sure hate to be called an alcoholic just because SOME here overdo it. Just tone it down with the name calling and recognize that MANY of us are doing everything we can. It seems to me that the word “entitled” makes the rounds about everyday now (as in “those entitled Villagers”). We’re all under a lot of stress and name calling doesn’t help the situation.

golfing eagles 04-02-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1738994)
Dunning-Kruger Effect?

Definitely. There are plenty on TOTV that post like they are experts, some even work in the health care field. The problem is that they don't know what they don't know

jet10s 04-02-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1738965)
Palatine, privileged, heedless, thoughtless, narcissistic, special, self important, sociopathic, self centered, ...

NARCISSISTIC -- for sure -- this group is the it's all about me group

CoachKandSportsguy 04-02-2020 02:48 PM

scientifically, its called dunning kruger effect.

Velvet 04-02-2020 03:36 PM

Well, I can think of many names for that type of behavior - not people - and I think “entitled” is a very, very soft word in the first place.

mamamia54 04-02-2020 03:58 PM

Can’t we stop the name calling. Let’s leave that for the “outsiders”, lol!