Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   A reminder to keep your car battery charged during sequestration (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/reminder-keep-your-car-battery-charged-during-sequestration-304828/)

CoachKandSportsguy 04-03-2020 09:16 PM

A reminder to keep your car battery charged during sequestration

From the Orlando Sentinel

Don’t let your battery die: As people drive less, idle cars pose problems - Orlando Sentinel

especially if you didn't use the vehicle much in the first place.

sportsguy

Nucky 04-04-2020 04:23 AM

BERRY BERRY interesting and helpful thread. What is the expected lifespan of a Yamaha Golf Cart Battery in a Gas Cart? This would be really great to know from the actual experience of a Villager instead of just looking it up on Google.

Our car purchased brand new a little under two years ago has already had the battery replace under warranty. Lack of use was what the dealership claimed. Replace it for free is what I claimed and my wish came true. The car has a little over 12,000 miles on it. I start the car for about 15 minutes every two day cause if we gotta go we gotta go! LOL The entire reason for a new car is to not have to think of items like this but the heat supposedly shortens the life of the battery. Go figure?

FenneyGuy 04-04-2020 06:40 AM

I have a CTEK trickle charger that is always connected to the battery of my 67 Chevelle SS396. I'm not worried about my Ford CMAX and my Ford Mustang GT.

dewilson58 04-04-2020 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1739919)
BERRY BERRY interesting and helpful thread. What is the expected lifespan of a Yamaha Golf Cart Battery in a Gas Cart? This would be really great to know from the actual experience of a Villager instead of just looking it up on Google.

Our car purchased brand new a little under two years ago has already had the battery replace under warranty. Lack of use was what the dealership claimed. Replace it for free is what I claimed and my wish came true. The car has a little over 12,000 miles on it. I start the car for about 15 minutes every two day cause if we gotta go we gotta go! LOL The entire reason for a new car is to not have to think of items like this but the heat supposedly shortens the life of the battery. Go figure?

Every couple of days is more than enough for your car battery. During cold winters up North I did it weekly on my stored car and it worked fine for 30 years. Regarding your golf cart battery.................It's the same as your car battery, just less cranking power. Weekly is fine as well. Do it every couple of days if you are bored. You can take it for a spin around the block, or put it in neutral and give it a little gas.

Best to back everything out of the garage to avoid getting a little gassy with fumes.

:beer3:

jacksonbrown 04-04-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1739919)
Replace it for free is what I claimed and my wish came true.

Good for you. My (Kia) dealer has denied two warranty claims on my nearly new Kia. IMO, Kia's 100,000 mile warranty is A SCAM!

CoachKandSportsguy 04-04-2020 12:55 PM

Don't forget the brakes if they are drum brakes

After three days and rain, I had to use a sledge hammer to break the rust between the pads and the drums. . . although most cars have all four disc brakes, I have a 2013 manual jetta with rear drums.

real pain in the ass when not driven for a week or so. . .

sportsguy

Number 10 GI 04-04-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonbrown (Post 1740230)
Good for you. My (Kia) dealer has denied two warranty claims on my nearly new Kia. IMO, Kia's 100,000 mile warranty is A SCAM!

What are the problems the dealership refused to repair?

EdFNJ 04-04-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonbrown (Post 1740230)

Kia is 3years or 36000 miles on a battery not 100,000 miles and only if defective (unfortunately lots of ways for them to get around "defective" when it comes to a battery as they call it "wear" which is not covered). That's what the book on my 2020 Kia Soul Ex reads. What did yours have? The 100,000

Decadeofdave 04-04-2020 07:32 PM

Battery Tender $40. Not a trickle charger. Maintains battery charge. If battery is charged it doesnt... I have 3 for boat, snowmobile,
Jet ski. Car storage ✔ ... AutoZone. Amazon etc.

DianeM 04-04-2020 07:35 PM

Thank you for the earlier reminder. I had not used my car in a week so tonight took a little bit of a joy ride. Thank you for the reminder on our batteries.

Chatbrat 04-05-2020 04:41 PM

Every time you start your car run it for @ least 15 minutes to replenish, what was used when starting it

Topspinmo 04-05-2020 04:49 PM

If I let my stuff set for over month I might start to get concerned