Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Take This Seriously Folks (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/take-seriously-folks-304853/)

bob47 04-04-2020 11:42 AM

Take This Seriously Folks

I'm sharing an email from somebody I worked with. This thing is real.

"Last Friday my sister called me to tell me that she had Coronavirus. The following day, my bother-in-law exhibited symptoms and on Sunday, my nephew did as well. They live in Michigan in Ypsilanti Township, between Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor. They did not know how they contracted it but perhaps it was on a trip to Costco, and, once one was infected, the others followed. Their doctor told my sister and BIL to go to emergency on Sunday. They did chest x-rays and put them both on an IV. They ended up admitting my sister, who had viral pneumonia, and put her on oxygen which helped her breathing tremendously. They sent my BIL home. My sister was making some progress, but my brother-in-law’s symptoms got rapidly worse and he went back to ER on Tuesday night. Another part of the story is that he had been treated for prostate cancer with an experimental drug and had to be catheterized and developed a UTI, so when he got sick, he already had a low grade fever from that. So he was admitted and went directly to ICU where he was put on a ventilator. His condition deteriorated and his ventilator was on max level by Thursday, with the doctor saying it was touch and go. Friday afternoon we were told he had gone into renal failure and was dying. I looked it up, and in Italy there have been numerous studies of Coronavirus patients whose kidneys were attacked in a large percentage of cases.

He passed away at 1:17 am last night. By this time my nephew was also hospitalized. They allowed my sister and nephew to sit with him after they had removed the ventilator, and my niece and her family called in on facetime and they all had 3 hours of prayer and the opportunity to tell him what a difference he had made in their lives. I don’t know if he was conscious by this time or not, but at least they were present.

Needless to say we are devastated. The virus attacked so fast. Xxxx was a great guy, he and my sister had been married 38 years and leave two children and 5 grandchildren with one more on the way. The grandkids were his pride and joy, he loved playing piggy back and hide and seek, and there was always laughter in the house when they were around. I am praying that my sister Xxxxxx and nephew Xxxxxx are able to battle this and come home. My nephew is young, my sister is 69. While she was improving, the doctor told her that her stay at the hospital was not going to be days, but weeks, because sometimes the virus seems to be under control and then it flares up again, so they don’t want to send anyone home too soon.

I hear in Florida folks may not be taking this as seriously as in other places. It may help if you relate this story."

NotGolfer 04-04-2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob47 (Post 1740197)
I'm sharing an email from somebody I worked with. This thing is real.

"Last Friday my sister called me to tell me that she had Coronavirus. The following day, my bother-in-law exhibited symptoms and on Sunday, my nephew did as well. They live in Michigan in Ypsilanti Township, between Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor. They did not know how they contracted it but perhaps it was on a trip to Costco, and, once one was infected, the others followed. Their doctor told my sister and BIL to go to emergency on Sunday. They did chest x-rays and put them both on an IV. They ended up admitting my sister, who had viral pneumonia, and put her on oxygen which helped her breathing tremendously. They sent my BIL home. My sister was making some progress, but my brother-in-law’s symptoms got rapidly worse and he went back to ER on Tuesday night. Another part of the story is that he had been treated for prostate cancer with an experimental drug and had to be catheterized and developed a UTI, so when he got sick, he already had a low grade fever from that. So he was admitted and went directly to ICU where he was put on a ventilator. His condition deteriorated and his ventilator was on max level by Thursday, with the doctor saying it was touch and go. Friday afternoon we were told he had gone into renal failure and was dying. I looked it up, and in Italy there have been numerous studies of Coronavirus patients whose kidneys were attacked in a large percentage of cases.

He passed away at 1:17 am last night. By this time my nephew was also hospitalized. They allowed my sister and nephew to sit with him after they had removed the ventilator, and my niece and her family called in on facetime and they all had 3 hours of prayer and the opportunity to tell him what a difference he had made in their lives. I don’t know if he was conscious by this time or not, but at least they were present.

Needless to say we are devastated. The virus attacked so fast. Xxxx was a great guy, he and my sister had been married 38 years and leave two children and 5 grandchildren with one more on the way. The grandkids were his pride and joy, he loved playing piggy back and hide and seek, and there was always laughter in the house when they were around. I am praying that my sister Xxxxxx and nephew Xxxxxx are able to battle this and come home. My nephew is young, my sister is 69. While she was improving, the doctor told her that her stay at the hospital was not going to be days, but weeks, because sometimes the virus seems to be under control and then it flares up again, so they don’t want to send anyone home too soon.

I hear in Florida folks may not be taking this as seriously as in other places. It may help if you relate this story."

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I have a FB friend who lives in MI with a young son who has health issues and they're terrified. The son gets regular infusions at a hospital but they cancelled the app't because they felt that going there would be too risky. So they're hibernating. SOME folks here in FL aren't taking it seriously but many are. Thank you for sharing....it might help others in decision making.

Sabrina&Bill 04-04-2020 04:41 PM

Thank You for sharing! Hoping it gets people’s attention.

Challenger 04-04-2020 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrina&Bill (Post 1740340)
Thank You for sharing! Hoping it gets people’s attention.

Especially our Governor who won't extend his closure to Churches

skarra 04-05-2020 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Challenger (Post 1740372)
Especially our Governor who won't extend his closure to Churches

I hope those contemplating going to church will think about those outside of church that they will harm when they pass the virus onto them.

Technology makes it so easy nowdays to conduct these meetings virtually. This is the time to adopt some of those methods.

JimJohnson 04-05-2020 02:36 AM

We will all wonder how many COSTCO trips would have been postponed if this virus was taken serious in January, February and early March. We should never have been told it would be gone in a few weeks. For the better part of my life I used to take advice from my public officials, now, not so much.

jnieman 04-05-2020 05:26 AM

So sorry to hear this. Your story is very compelling that this could happen to any of us. Thanks for sharing. Prayers for you and your family.

towgo 04-05-2020 05:27 AM

I went to Sams yesterday. (4/4). maybe 20% had masks. Either they are stupid or don't care about other people. very distubing.

oneclickplus 04-05-2020 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aces4 (Post 1740531)
You people with hindsight know where your brains and eyes are located.

That's reusable. I'm going to have to borrow that line.

jacksonbrown 04-05-2020 07:09 AM

"I will never understand why when we are in a time of national crisis folks want to politicize every action and recommendation made by our elected leaders. "

Thank you for reminding the poster that this forum IS NOT fakeb-ook.

Singerlady 04-05-2020 07:29 AM

Sometimes we’re smarter than we think.....if we think we’re overdoing git...we’re right on....staying home.

Mimi0808 04-05-2020 07:42 AM

I am so sorry for your family's situation and loss. I just shared your post, hope you don't mind. Have a lot of friends and family here in Florida who are not taking this situation seriously and are going around their lives as if nothing is happening. People do not want to take care of themselves and by doing so they are not taking care of others. Praying for you and yours.

davem4616 04-05-2020 07:45 AM

This is not a drill

ya wash ya hands, you stay at home and you dramatically increase your chances of not getting the virus

I don't see this going away all to soon....we'll be doing this well into the fall and perhaps beyond until there is a vaccine

there is no cure presently, only prevention

if you insist on going to driveway parties, playing golf, etc. that's your right...but make it easy on your loved ones...pick out the funeral home you wonna use

Rosebud1949 04-05-2020 08:37 AM

I am so sorry for your loss, and I know what that kind of loss does to a family, having lost my daughter.(not to the virus). At least some family were with him. I cannot think what it must be like for families who cannot be with their loved ones in their finals hours. WAKE UP FLORIDA and those who think the rules dont apply to them. Lake, Sumter and Marion Counties have a combined total of cases one quarter less than of that of Orange County alone. We must be doing something right LETS ALL DO IT TOGETHER. united we stand divided we fall.....

Chatbrat 04-05-2020 08:42 AM

The daughter of the Villager who passed away, is positive her mother contacted Covid,here--she said, her mother had not traveled recently