Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Frontline article: You’ll want to read this article posted today on Frontline. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/frontline-article-youll-want-read-article-posted-today-frontline-304869/)

Bjeanj 04-04-2020 07:04 PM

Frontline article: You’ll want to read this article posted today on Frontline.

Just read another thread about distancing or else they’ll suspend golfing. Just read this article and tell me how accurate it is.

For Seniors in Florida’s Villages, Coronavirus Dangers Stack Up | FRONTLINE | PBS | Official Site

alwann 04-04-2020 07:37 PM

No comment

"...A representative of the Villages’ developer did not return multiple requests for comment..."

Well, no surprise there.

Marvic 1 04-04-2020 07:41 PM

Thank you, good reading....

Topspinmo 04-04-2020 07:55 PM

IMO Somebody feeding the reporter information with some opinions. Yes, there was few idiots still gathered not obeying 6 foot rule. Yes, it’s going to get worse from villagers who traveled in February and March knowing this virus was lurking. They put the rest of us at risk, now we have wait see how rapid it spreads. As for the golf question it’s not going to reduce numbers at end of 30 days. Golf will be gone before or after the 30 days IMO. I also believe this will go on for at least 3 more months or longer. I hope I’m wrong.

Mikeod 04-04-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1740415)
"...A representative of the Villages’ developer did not return multiple requests for comment..."

Well, no surprise there.

Please understand that the Developer doesn’t control the activities of the residents. The District has that responsibility. To contact the Morse family for comment about Villagers adhering to the recommendations is going to the wrong place.

karostay 04-05-2020 06:50 AM

When this is over lets hope soon
Like to see a statistic how many City Fire and Sauce Patrons that ignored social distancing till the state stepped in contracted the Virus

jacksonbrown 04-05-2020 08:17 AM

Where do I start?

"If the coronavirus rips through the community, experts say the Villages’ huge population of highly social seniors could crush the local health care system. "

Yes, if it rips thru.

It hasn't.

Then, this says it all.

"This story is part of a collaboration with the Tampa Bay Times."

TBT is owned by the Poynter Institue, the same entity that owns Poltifact.

Maybe their employees wrote this poorly research, yet mostly political article.

The main difference between them is that PBS uses our taxpayers' dollars to publish this sensationalistic bull***t.

dewilson58 04-05-2020 08:28 AM

Quote:

Well, no surprise there.

Not sure there was any surprise in this article...........no "news", just a story.

collie1228 04-05-2020 08:31 AM

Two comments. I think the article is fair and mostly accurate, but why does PBS/Frontline have to tell the readers that The Villages is mostly Republican? Is this germane, or maybe they just couldn't get past their left-of-center ideology? Secondly, they say that the music on the squares has now been turned off. All I can tell you is that I drove my bike around the Spanish Springs town square at about 6:30AM today, and the music was blaring loudly, as usual. Nobody was dancing though.

kcrazorbackfan 04-05-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Well, no surprise there.

What the hell do you want them to say? Social distance yourself away from others? Wear a mask and gloves while out?

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT TO HEAR?

billethkid 04-05-2020 09:24 AM

Some desperate for a story reporter read TOTV and turned the output into an anecdotal "story".

TexaninVA 04-05-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonbrown (Post 1740635)
Where do I start?

"If the coronavirus rips through the community, experts say the Villages’ huge population of highly social seniors could crush the local health care system. "

Yes, if it rips thru.

It hasn't.

Then, this says it all.

"This story is part of a collaboration with the Tampa Bay Times."

TBT is owned by the Poynter Institue, the same entity that owns Poltifact.

Maybe their employees wrote this poorly research, yet mostly political article.

The main difference between them is that PBS uses our taxpayers' dollars to publish this sensationalistic bull***t.

PBS tax dollars should not be used to fund partisan efforts. Why is this even allowed??

Topspinmo 04-05-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collie1228 (Post 1740651)
Two comments. I think the article is fair and mostly accurate, but why does PBS/Frontline have to tell the readers that The Villages is mostly Republican? Is this germane, or maybe they just couldn't get past their left-of-center ideology? Secondly, they say that the music on the squares has now been turned off. All I can tell you is that I drove my bike around the Spanish Springs town square at about 6:30AM today, and the music was blaring loudly, as usual. Nobody was dancing though.

There political agenda