Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Putting over sprinkler head (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/putting-over-sprinkler-head-306053/)

Ripcleary 05-04-2020 07:17 AM

Putting over sprinkler head

I understand there is a LOCAL rule relative to putting over a sprinkler head. A free lift if the sprinkler head is in your line and it is within 2 club lengths of the green and your ball lies within 2 lengths of sprinkler head.
QUESTION, is there a local rule relative to this on The Villages championship courses?

collie1228 05-04-2020 07:34 AM

The answer is "no", there is no local rule covering sprinkler heads. You can find the local rules for The Villages courses at website golfthevillages.com.

Topspinmo 05-04-2020 04:08 PM

Never seen sprinkle head on the greens?

thelegges 05-04-2020 04:11 PM

No sprinklers on green, why didn’t you chip?

anothersteve 05-04-2020 04:26 PM

If for some reason there is a sprinkler head on the green in your line of putt, you get free relief. I would think there is, but don't know of a local rule on champs that give you relief off the green, that is, if it's in your line. You get relief if the sprinkler interferes with swing or stance off the green.
Steve

tvbound 05-04-2020 05:09 PM

Golf courses have the option to enact a local rule that allows free relief when a sprinkler head is within two club-lengths of the putting surface.

Putting Across Sprinkler Heads in Golf: Free Relief?

On the European Tour this used to be a pretty standard local rule, even in their tournaments, because so many foreign players use their putters instead of chipping when just off the green.

It's too bad that TV courses don't adopt this local rule, because I'm one of those that believe in the old saying that "a bad putt, will usually turn out better than a bad chip."

dewilson58 05-04-2020 05:13 PM

If you are off the green and you want to putt and a head is in your way...........Nope.

Daxdog 05-05-2020 05:18 AM

If the head is on the green yea, move the ball but only if on the green, if you to putt from off the green, sorry thats your problem, learn how to chip

Ripcleary 05-06-2020 09:27 AM

Sprinkler in putting line

I understand that the rules of golf have a LOCAL RULE re free drop if sprinkler head is within two feet of the green, your ball is within two feet of sprinkler head and sprinkler head is in your putting line. Question, "is there a local rule in The Villages champion ship golf courses relative to the above situation? ".

Indy-Guy 05-06-2020 04:50 PM

The group I play in we do move the ball to putt it when a sprinkler head is in the way.

Many times when I play I notice that people use the famous Breakfast Ball rule and I am sure you can't find that in the rule book.

My thought is it is our game and you can play it as your group feels fit. Know if the group you are playing in are sticklers for the rules.

If money is involved I would say have it straight before you tee it up.

Many things that we may do aren't in the rule book the ones that come to mind are.

Breakfast Ball.

Playing a best ball in your group.

Moving the ball to putt around a sprinkler head.

I am also certain that ball hawking (looking for golf balls that have been left by other golfers not in your group)

I am sure there are more than I have just mentioned.

dewilson58 05-06-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy-Guy (Post 1760054)
T

Many times when I play I notice that people use the famous Breakfast Ball rule and I am sure you can't find that in the rule book.

Sometimes Breakfast Balls are out of the pocket before the first ball hits the ground. :MOJE_whot:

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 05-06-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collie1228 (Post 1758507)
The answer is "no", there is no local rule covering sprinkler heads. You can find the local rules for The Villages courses at website golfthevillages.com.

Not only is there no local rule, but the rules of golf wouldn't allow a local rule like that.

tvbound 05-06-2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1760142)
Not only is there no local rule, but the rules of golf wouldn't allow a local rule like that.

Per the link in Post #6, you are incorrect.

"But if the aprons or fringes of putting greens are cut short enough that putting from off the green is likely to be a common choice of stroke, immovable obstructions that are close to the putting green may interfere with such strokes.

"In that case, the Committee can choose to give an extra relief option under Rule 16.1 when a player’s ball lies in the general area or on the putting green and an immovable obstruction close to the putting green is on the player’s line of play."

"And many golf courses (and some golf tournaments) do have such a local rule in effect. So it pays to know your course's local rules. (They are often posted in the clubhouse and/or printed on the scorecard.)"

Topspinmo 05-14-2020 12:09 PM

I always played where the ball lands, moving the ball, talking mulligans, and not counting two stroke’s for lost or out of bounds balls, only cheat yourself. Got count every stroke it you’re keep score if you’re true golfer and respect the game. I never look for out of bounds balls. I’m too embarrassed to hold up play looking for ball. Drop where it went out of bounds and take two stroke penalty. Local group rules are Bs. Golf isn’t 8 ball.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 05-14-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvbound (Post 1760156)
Per the link in Post #6, you are incorrect.

"But if the aprons or fringes of putting greens are cut short enough that putting from off the green is likely to be a common choice of stroke, immovable obstructions that are close to the putting green may interfere with such strokes.

"In that case, the Committee can choose to give an extra relief option under Rule 16.1 when a player’s ball lies in the general area or on the putting green and an immovable obstruction close to the putting green is on the player’s line of play."

"And many golf courses (and some golf tournaments) do have such a local rule in effect. So it pays to know your course's local rules. (They are often posted in the clubhouse and/or printed on the scorecard.)"

I stand corrected. I haven't studied the rules of golf for a long time. I believe that this is a new policy by USGA.