Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Star Electric Golf Carts: Opinions from those who own one (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/star-electric-golf-carts-opinions-those-who-own-one-306267/)

MrPelota 05-08-2020 09:01 PM

Star Electric Golf Carts: Opinions from those who own one

We are looking at the Star electric cart. Their retail location is near Athens Russell Stover Store on 44 west of 301.
Wondering if anyone could comment on the cart...pros and cons, etc. Please only comment if you own one. Not looking for an electric vs. gas debate here. Thanks in advance!

John_W 05-09-2020 08:56 AM

I know there use to be a dealer in the shopping center that has Best Buy and also I think The Villages Carts sold them and there may have been a dealer on 301 in the shopping center that has the motorcycle dealer and Sons of Napoli Restaurant. One negative you'll hear is they manufactured in China but I heard they are assembled in South Carolina. Also that EZ-GO and Club Car are biggest selling electric carts, and Yamaha makes electric carts and people are most familiar with them. One thing I liked back when I looked at Star years ago was they had the seats facing backward for passengers, but those seats could be folded out of the way for your golf clubs. Also I believe they had 8 six volt batteries, which was suppose to be a better setup.

Star Carts seem to be on the fringe as far as sales, another fringe electric cart company that use to be even more popular was Tomberlin Carts, which I believe was made in Georgia. I've had a Yamaha gas for 9 years, because I've always heard it will last a lifetime, and so far never any trouble.

alwann 05-09-2020 09:14 AM

Star cart

I've owned one for 5 years and have been pleased with it. Newer gas carts are quieter than former models, but not as quiet as an electric. The downside is laying out $1000 more or less every 4-5 years, depending on how often you drive it. My Star is fast, when I want it to be. (Had it up to 28mph when nobody was looking, with a tailwind.) The only fault with the SST model I own is the area where you latch on your golf bag. It's a little narrower than other models, and full-sized golf bags have to be jammed in there. The dealer's location is not convenient but I use an independent mechanic who does maintenance at my home. Have done so even when cart was still under warranty.

Now, one of my golf buddies has a Tomberlin. It's really sleek and comfortable. It's actually built as a street-legal but he doesn't use it as such. High-priced machine, however.

jerseyvillager 05-09-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPelota (Post 1761366)
We are looking at the Star electric cart. Their retail location is near Athens Russell Stover Store on 44 west of 301.
Wondering if anyone could comment on the cart...pros and cons, etc. Please only comment if you own one. Not looking for an electric vs. gas debate here. Thanks in advance!

Owned one for ten years. Nothing but good to say about it.

Altavia 05-09-2020 09:27 AM

Maybe ask if they are can or are looking at offering lithium batteries. Probably higher initial cost but virtually no maintenance, lighter weight, longer range.

jojo 05-09-2020 02:54 PM

Our Star cart is 12 years old. We have had to do only routine maintenance. We did several upgrades - new seats, bigger tires, more storage etc. It's very peppy. We've replaced batteries every 3 to 4 years.

JoMar 05-09-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPelota (Post 1761366)

I have a 2020 Sirius. I had a 2014 Star and traded it in. The golf bag deck is still too narrow but you can get them in without too much trouble. Their adjustable seats are less than ideal but since I'm the only one that drives it once the seat is set I'm good. My wife has a 2015 Par Car and for the most part we don't share. The BlueTooth is wonderful. You can adjust the front suspension to suit your ride preference. Range is close to 50 miles and if I ever drive 50 miles in a golf cart....shoot me. I have driven it 40 and that was enough. Lights are not great but had that issue on the old cart and added a light to that one. They claim a light upgrade is coming. You will change batteries every 3 - 4 years (I upgraded to the no maintenance batteries, lithium would be great but the pricing is still to expensive unless you plan on keeping it a long time. I could change batteries twice before I approach the cost of lithium and doubt I will have the cart that long. The dealer has been great. I had a custom Sunbrella made by a great local dealer. If you need more send a private message.

karostay 05-09-2020 05:51 PM

I don't own one however I was riding with a friend who did and front steering fell apart

He fixed it and got rid of it

Topspinmo 05-14-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1762007)
I don't own one however I was riding with a friend who did and front steering fell apart

He fixed it and got rid of it

He should of realized something was wrong long before the steering fell apart. Getting another one and not do routine maintenance and safety check will result in same thing.

Christinepainting@msn.com 05-14-2020 09:32 PM

Hello
My Star will not take a charge; it is 4 years old and hardly driven. Could you please tell me who you use for your at home service. Thank you, Christine

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 05-15-2020 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1761693)
I've owned one for 5 years and have been pleased with it. Newer gas carts are quieter than former models, but not as quiet as an electric. The downside is laying out $1000 more or less every 4-5 years, depending on how often you drive it. My Star is fast, when I want it to be. (Had it up to 28mph when nobody was looking, with a tailwind.) The only fault with the SST model I own is the area where you latch on your golf bag. It's a little narrower than other models, and full-sized golf bags have to be jammed in there. The dealer's location is not convenient but I use an independent mechanic who does maintenance at my home. Have done so even when cart was still under warranty.

Now, one of my golf buddies has a Tomberlin. It's really sleek and comfortable. It's actually built as a street-legal but he doesn't use it as such. High-priced machine, however.

I put Trojan T-875 batteries in my cart about eight months ago and they were about $800. I wonder what gas and oil for the same period of time that batteries last would cost. Also, gas cart engines require more maintenance and have more moving parts.

I worked with golf cart fleets for 35 years and was always told that electric carts are less expensive to run.

My last experience working with carts was about fifteen years ago so things may have changed. Yamaha has certainly made great strides in noise reduction.