Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Battery Minder or full size charger? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/battery-minder-full-size-charger-306318/)

UpNorth 05-10-2020 10:22 AM

Battery Minder or full size charger?

I have a 2007 ParCar which has been converted to charge on either a Battery Minder or a full-size, external Lester Electric Links battery charger. The batteries in my cart are about 1 year old, and I have no issues using either chargers when I am home. However, when I go away for about 5 months and plug in the Battery Minder, it slips back to the Yellow indicator after several weeks and I have to have someone come in and charge it back up with the big Lester Electric charger. I would prefer using the Battery Minder during those months, because that's what a Battery Minder is for. My question is: would it do any harm to simply leave the big charger plugged in when I am away? Or should I connect both?

leftyf 05-11-2020 08:45 AM

I bought the Battery Saver. It has better reviews than the Battery Minder. I letmy regular charger charge until it kicks off then plug in the Battery Saver. It does stop the cells from de-sulfating and it holds the charge full.

UpNorth 05-11-2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titangolfcartsouth (Post 1762639)
Most Lester chargers do not turn on again after there are done charging. You have to unplug it them and plug it in a gain to turn back on.
Also with the summer storms you have to be careful with lightning strike. The best bet is to have someone charge your cart every couple weeks if possible. If you don’t have anyone to watch your cart for you. First make sure all of your batteries are full of distilled water. Put a full charge on the batteries. Lastly take the main positive and negative off zip tie the wires together so you know what wires go together.

If I simply full charge then disconnect the batteries, will any harm be done for 5 months in a hot Florida garage?

Arctic Fox 05-11-2020 12:37 PM

A batteryMinder is not designed to charge the batteries, but to maintain a full charge and desulphate them.

So fully charge using your normal charger, then disconnect that and connect the batteryMinder.

UpNorth 05-11-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1763176)
A batteryMinder is not designed to charge the batteries, but to maintain a full charge and desulphate them.

So fully charge using your normal charger, then disconnect that and connect the batteryMinder.

I'm just looking to totally disconnect the batteries for the summer, then re-connect them when I get back. Would the batteries go "bad" or be harmed over the summer?

TommyT 05-11-2020 07:58 PM

This is what I used when part-timing. Left it plugged in and on the battery for several months at a time. The power plug WAS plugged into a surge protector in the garage outlet. Never had any issues.

Deltran - Battery Tender

villagetinker 05-11-2020 07:58 PM

I have had automotive batteries go "bad" when just sitting without being used or charged. I also had one blow up in my face due to incorrect charging! IMHO, call the manufacturer and ask them about long term storage and trickle charging as well as the rate of the trickle charge. NOTE: GFCIs have been known to trip during T&L storms (just helped a fellow villager the other day when this happened), so you should have someone looking after the cart on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

Bay Kid 05-12-2020 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1763393)
I have had automotive batteries go "bad" when just sitting without being used or charged. I also had one blow up in my face due to incorrect charging! IMHO, call the manufacturer and ask them about long term storage and trickle charging as well as the rate of the trickle charge. NOTE: GFCIs have been known to trip during T&L storms (just helped a fellow villager the other day when this happened), so you should have someone looking after the cart on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

I keep a battery cart for Dad only. He had a battery blow up. These are some of the reasons I prefer gas carts.

MorTech 05-16-2020 11:56 PM

Battery minder holds the battery at float voltage which diminishes battery life over time. Batteries will self discharge internally so disconnecting them won't help at all.

Lester Summit II smart charger will run a charge cycle every 10 days automatically...About $350 option.