Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Am i legally obligated to pay property taxes missed by the title co.? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/am-i-legally-obligated-pay-property-taxes-missed-title-co-306364/)

boxcarwilly 05-11-2020 06:00 PM

Am i legally obligated to pay property taxes missed by the title co.?

Sold our condo in Maine all went well but the title co(law firm actually) failed to include outstanding property taxes approx 1500.00. They want me to pay them ASAP. Am i legally obligated to pay this? They mentioned something to the effect they could put a lien on our new property here in the villages.Thanks in advance.

Jayhawk 05-11-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcarwilly (Post 1763360)
Sold our condo in Maine all went well but the title co(law firm actually) failed to include outstanding property taxes approx 1500.00. They want me to pay them ASAP. Am i legally obligated to pay this? They mentioned something to the effect they could put a lien on our new property here in the villages.Thanks in advance.

Is it your debt? If it is, I think you know what to do.

retiredguy123 05-11-2020 06:13 PM

If you owed the taxes on a property you owned, then, I would think you are obliged to pay the tax. Just because they made a mistake doesn't relieve you of the tax liability. But, as far as putting a lien on your house in The Villages, that sounds like a premature threat. They would need to sue you, get a judgement, and then, if you don't pay the judgement, they can try to seize any assets you own as part of a collection process, to include a lien on your Villages house. But, if you really owe the tax, and they made an honest mistake, the best thing to do is to pay the tax.

rustyp 05-11-2020 06:53 PM

Quote:

Ask your lawyer. Are you really going to take advice from an internet blog ?

kathyspear 05-11-2020 07:42 PM

One of the many documents we signed during each of our home sales/purchases states that if an error is made and we owe money, we will pay it. I suspect you signed something similar. Check your documents.

kathy

villagetinker 05-11-2020 08:07 PM

I would have thought they would have had some from of a performance clause (like H&R Block has) where they would be liable for this, HOWEVER, you are dealing with lawyers, a fight you probably cannot win. IMHO, the taxes must be paid, if you can find someone with a legal background to look at your agreement with your "title company" thay may be able to tell you if this is worth pursuing, but I doubt it.

Marathon Man 05-11-2020 08:14 PM

Do you actually owe the taxes?

Stu from NYC 05-11-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 1763398)

Agreed are the taxes from the period you own the home? Would think if you owe it than you might want to discuss with attorney to determine your liability.

boxcarwilly 05-11-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 1763398)

Confirming tax status with the city asap.

Topspinmo 05-11-2020 09:24 PM

Lawyers and law? (who makes them Bottom line you pay! If it was me I would pay it quickly before they start adding fees.

biker1 05-12-2020 04:53 AM

This should be a simple question for a lawyer.

Quote:

Maryc7878 05-12-2020 05:44 AM

If you were living in the home for Half the year, you owe Half the taxes.

Mosells 05-12-2020 05:48 AM

Does the title company have O & E insurance ( omissions and errors) ? If so that insurance should kick in. We’re not talking about 15 thousand dollars. After all is said and done you would have paid the tax owed through the closing of your home, so instead of paying it then, pay it now. No one is entitled to a free ride.

Daxdog 05-12-2020 05:51 AM

Quote:

Not really a question to ask here, maybe ask a Tax Attorney!

jeffy 05-12-2020 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyspear (Post 1763389)
One of the many documents we signed during each of our home sales/purchases states that if an error is made and we owe money, we will pay it. I suspect you signed something similar. Check your documents.

kathy

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘