Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Mask Paranoia (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/mask-paranoia-306445/)

Leadbone1 05-14-2020 07:36 AM

Mask Paranoia

We initially were told by the surgeon general and also some of the doctors on the presidents team that wearing masks was unnecessary and that their only value was primarily psychological. They were not lying to you!
Why did they change this? Who knows... maybe to appease a paranoid population? 99% of the face coverings I see are useless. Viruses are microbial. You can not hide from them. How long is it going to take for this ridiculous paranoia about a virus that is 99% survivable to go away? I am somewhat encouraged as I am seeing more and more folks like myself that have discarded the masks.

karostay 05-14-2020 07:38 AM

I feel very safe here..The Villages is blessed with 120,000 health experts

DDVeteran 05-14-2020 07:42 AM

The Flat Earth Society is always looking for new members.

dewilson58 05-14-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devorejh (Post 1764748)
We initially were told by the surgeon general and also some of the doctors on the presidents team that wearing masks was unnecessary and that their only value was primarily psychological. They were not lying to you!
Why did they change this?

As more was learned about the virus, things changed. :ohdear:

Leadbone1 05-14-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1764750)
I feel very safe here..The Villages is blessed with 120,000 health experts

I am proud to be one of them.๐Ÿ˜Ž

DeanFL 05-14-2020 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Why did they change this? Who knows... maybe to appease a paranoid population? 99% of the face coverings I see are useless. Viruses are microbial. You can not hide from them. How long is it going to take for this ridiculous paranoia about a virus that is 99% survivable to go away? I am somewhat encouraged as I am seeing more and more folks like myself that have discarded the masks.

Well, if you don't wear the mask, at least wear this - you no doubt have a few in the closet>

golfing eagles 05-14-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Actually, the masks have a useful purpose in the appropriate setting. Yes, viruses are very small, but they are spread in small droplets when a person coughs or sneezes, and even in some cases talking, especially if the spit when pronouncing "P's" The mask will stop them from spreading it to OTHER people. It does little to protect the person wearing the mask

Over 99% of all human to human viral transmission occurs indoors. So wearing a mask when you cannot guarantee 6 foot spacing at all times indoors makes some degree of sense. Outdoors they are basically useless. Yet some rec center rules require them outdoors---probably politics vs. science. Then there are those that seem to live in a mask---driving their car, cart or bicycle, walking, etc. That's fine if it makes them happy, not as fine if they feel obligated to say something to other people not wearing a mask, who clearly have a better understanding of epidemiology than they do.

Personally, I wear a mask at grocery store and retail store, if only out of respect to those who are a bit afraid. I never wear it outdoors since the facts show it is unnecessary. But I don't think anyone should summarily dismiss masks all together.

golfing eagles 05-14-2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devorejh (Post 1764791)
I am proud to be one of them.๐Ÿ˜Ž

How so???? Your OP would seem to indicate otherwise.

GoodLife 05-14-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1764759)
As more was learned about the virus, things changed. :ohdear:

No. When Dr Fauici and the CDC told us to skip the mask they already knew the virus spread by droplets from sneezes, coughs etc This has been known about viruses for a long time, before this current pandemic. Nothing changed except they reversed course.

Leadbone1 05-14-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1764797)
Well, if you don't wear the mask, at least wear this - you no doubt have a few in the closet>

Cute But irrelevant. You just expose yourself as part of the problem. Enjoy your paranoia

Leadbone1 05-14-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1764801)
How so???? Your OP would seem to indicate otherwise.

Just playing along with the sarcastic Original statement. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

queasy27 05-14-2020 08:42 AM

From the very beginning, it was recommended that those who were infected wear masks to help prevent the spread to others. Health experts have always unequivocally stated that anything other than properly fitted N95 masks will not block the virus.

When it became clearer that asymptomatic people could still be contagious, the thinking evolved that everyone should be masked as a precaution. Wearing a mask helps limit the spread of larger droplets that are emitted when we speak, sneeze, and cough. Outbreaks like the choir practice in Washington show what can happen.

Mask wearing doesn't need to be 100% effective for me to think it's a good idea, nor does it cause me any harm to do so. I also have no issue with other mandatory health and safety codes, OSHA regulations, airport security screening, non-smoking ordinances, or private businesses establishing rules for wearing shirts and shoes.

But then, I'm a rule follower by nature. On a macro level, "live free or die" holds little appeal. On the positive side for those who disagree, my non-confrontational and introverted personality also means I would never speak up to chide someone else in public.

CarolSells 05-14-2020 08:46 AM

Well, what I was wondering about in regards to masks and gloves is that if theyโ€™re so effective why canโ€™t we just issue them to our prison populations instead of letting them back into society? They could social distance unless they,re cell mates.

(The letters and punctuation are not coming out right.)

golfing eagles 05-14-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queasy27 (Post 1764823)
From the very beginning, it was recommended that those who were infected wear masks to help prevent the spread to others. Health experts have always unequivocally stated that anything other than properly fitted N95 masks will not block the virus.

When it became clearer that asymptomatic people could still be contagious, the thinking evolved that everyone should be masked as a precaution. Wearing a mask helps limit the spread of larger droplets that are emitted when we speak, sneeze, and cough. Outbreaks like the choir practice in Washington show what can happen.

Mask wearing doesn't need to be 100% effective for me to think it's a good idea, nor does it cause me any harm to do so. I also have no issue with other mandatory health and safety codes, OSHA regulations, airport security screening, non-smoking ordinances, or private businesses establishing rules for wearing shirts and shoes.

But then, I'm a rule follower by nature. On a macro level, "live free or die" holds little appeal. On the positive side for those who disagree, my non-confrontational and introverted personality also means I would never speak up to chide someone else in public.

To be a bit more precise, from the very beginning it was requested that those who had the infection SELF QUARANTINE for 14 days---no going out even with a mask

DeanFL 05-14-2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devorejh (Post 1764813)
Cute But irrelevant. You just expose yourself as part of the problem. Enjoy your paranoia

NOT paranoia. Simply a measure of safety, in case I AM infected, and a 'carrier' to others. The mask simply inhibits (to a degree) MY exhaling/coughing/sneezing from affecting others around me. period. There are so many studies showing this.

My 'exposure' as you say is a simple attempt to lighten things up - not a "problem'. I respect all views - but please don't impact others if you have a chance, as small as it might be, to infect others around you. I happen to be smack in the middle of the High Risk group - so please stay more than 6' away.

If you choose NOT to wear a seatbelt...OK - your choice, and it MAY kill you, as well as increase avg car insurance. If you drink and drive...it affects all others on the road.
Your choice, but...