Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Golf bunkers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/golf-bunkers-306468/)

cubfan1126 05-14-2020 02:21 PM

Golf bunkers

I know there a no rakes in the bunkers but could you at least TRY to smooth out your footprints with your foot or your club. Some of us still believe in “play it as it lies” in a bunker and landing in your footprint does make it more difficult.

alwann 05-14-2020 02:42 PM

I've been foot-raking. However, I'm not sure what our local rule is now. According to the USGA the local "committee," (that would the pro or golf management) may allow preferential lies in un-raked bunkers. You may not have to play it as it lies. Maybe another will know.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 05-14-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubfan1126 (Post 1765059)
I know there a no rakes in the bunkers but could you at least TRY to smooth out your footprints with your foot or your club. Some of us still believe in “play it as it lies” in a bunker and landing in your footprint does make it more difficult.

I also try to play it as it lies but with the condition of the courses and especially with no rakes, I don't have a problem with smoothing the bunker with my foot and giving myself a lie.

Of course we could always adopt the Pine Valley rules of never raking bunkers.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 05-14-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1765071)
I've been foot-raking. However, I'm not sure what our local rule is now. According to the USGA the local "committee," (that would the pro or golf management) may allow preferential lies in un-raked bunkers. You may not have to play it as it lies. Maybe another will know.

That would be up to a tournament committee or if you're playing in a foursome with a bet on the match it would be up to the individuals to come to an agreement.

I'm not sure if the USGA would approve of it as a local rule, but these are very special circumstances.

Or, we could all just agree as they do at Pine Valley, just don't hit it in there. If you do, it's your problem.

karostay 05-14-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Needed a good joke

Thanks

kcrazorbackfan 05-14-2020 05:37 PM

Do what a few of us do - carry your own rake for what you mess up. Fortunately, I hit in very few bunkers and no one else uses my rake.

Marvic 1 05-14-2020 06:46 PM

What bunkers, you can basically putt out of these things... :sad:

Rwirish 05-15-2020 05:11 AM

I will do this once the Daily Sun stops printing ridiculous holes in ones which did not go in the hole. Hitting the PVC pipes that were previously in place is not a hole a one.

golfing eagles 05-15-2020 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwirish (Post 1765238)
I will do this once the Daily Sun stops printing ridiculous holes in ones which did not go in the hole. Hitting the PVC pipes that were previously in place is not a hole a one.

No, but it's a pretty good shot in croquet :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

DrBrutyle109 05-15-2020 05:35 AM

YEs, with all that’s going on in the world...let’s worry about you “playing it as it lies”.

Gmb727 05-15-2020 05:52 AM

During these tough times, I am fairly sure that everyone would be OK if you moved the ball to a smoother area to hit from. No nearer the hole though. Unless of course if your playing in a PGA sponsored event. Things will be back to normal soon. Smile and enjoy the fact you are out there playing. Lots of places are still locked down. Perspective.

danglanzsr 05-15-2020 06:00 AM

What to worry about

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBrutyle109 (Post 1765248)
YEs, with all that’s going on in the world...let’s worry about you “playing it as it lies”.

I can't change all the bad things going on in the world so it is fruitless to worry about them. But I do worry about bad lies in bunkers.

Jacksig 05-15-2020 06:07 AM

I agree! They should be embarrassed!

Cheapbas 05-15-2020 06:28 AM

If there are no rakes, bunkers should be played with preferred lies. I.e. give yourself the same lie as if it was raked. Why are you torturing yourself.

Joanne19335 05-15-2020 06:29 AM

Quote:

Amen!

RRman77 retired 05-15-2020 06:58 AM

Realy?

Waltdisney4life 05-15-2020 07:12 AM

Course rules dictate play, so roll the ball out of footprints.

Jayhawk 05-15-2020 07:24 AM

Quote:

The USGA would disagree with you and others who claim it can't be a hole in one.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/ho...statement.html

From the perspective of the Rules of Handicapping, the most frequent questions received are primarily related to the acceptability of scores for posting to a player’s scoring record. In particular, relating to modifying the hole and not requiring the player to “hole out” as required under the Rules of Golf. These are founded in a desire to minimize the possibility of exposing golfers to coronavirus and have included leaving the hole liner raised above the putting surface or placing various objects into the hole so the ball can be more easily removed. In these specific cases, provided guidance from health and governmental officials is being followed, a temporary measure is in place within the United States to accept scores played under these conditions for handicap purposes using the most likely score guidelines, even though the player has not holed out.

This temporary measure is now in effect within the United States until advised otherwise by the USGA.

Jayhawk 05-15-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waltdisney4life (Post 1765332)
Course rules dictate play, so roll the ball out of footprints.

Actually, the Ambassadors our group spoke with said The Villages course rule is Option 1 provided by the USGA - Move the ball from the bunker, no closer to the hole, and play on with no penalty.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/ho...ping-faqs.html

Ground under repair could be used in two different manners. The first being to declare all bunkers to be ground under repair and treat them as part of the general area. This would allow players the option to take free relief outside the bunker under Rule 16.1. The second is to treat disturbed areas only as ground under repair. This would still allow a player free relief from such areas, but would require such relief to be taken elsewhere within the bunker.

B-flat 05-15-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1765092)
:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Needed a good joke

Thanks

:coolsmiley:

Come on didn’t you know these are PGA tour players here. :icon_wink:

dennisgavin 05-15-2020 07:38 AM

personally, I never lie in the bunkers...….

Guitarman1951 05-15-2020 07:47 AM

Raking sandtraps

Quote:

I totally understand your concern and reasoning but trying to rake traps with your feet or club is very time consuming, slowing play and you can't really get it right no matter how you try. These are unique times and we aren't pros. It's just a game to occupy us in retirement so don't take it that seriously. Do what the majority of us do and just place it, hit it and move on. Or do like me and never hit into a trap!!😂😂😂

Guitarman1951 05-15-2020 07:51 AM

Pro golfers in the Villages

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-flat (Post 1765354)
:coolsmiley:

Come on didn’t you know these are PGA tour players here. :icon_wink:

Many of them think they are and I don't like playing with them. They are gonna give themselves heart attacks and I don't keep a defibulator in my cart!!! 😂😂😂

Dennys37Packard 05-15-2020 08:33 AM

Yes just enjoy the game as best you can and since you can’t change all the bad things going on in bunkers, I’m guessing it’s fruitless to worry about them also. FORE

remarks006 05-15-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Put a rake in your cart , and have at it😅, what exactly is a bunker , I don’t believe I’ve ever been in one😂

Marykess1802 05-15-2020 10:35 AM

Hole in one

Quote:

Absolutely Agree! Always thought golf was a “gentlemen’s” game. Even with a four bazillion handicap, one can have a hole in one 😒

anothersteve 05-15-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marykess1802 (Post 1765517)
Absolutely Agree! Always thought golf was a “gentlemen’s” game. Even with a four bazillion handicap, one can have a hole in one 😒

Yes, because it's mostly luck for us amateurs anyway. God people just get over it!
Steve

golfing eagles 05-15-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk (Post 1765341)
The USGA would disagree with you and others who claim it can't be a hole in one.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/ho...statement.html

From the perspective of the Rules of Handicapping, the most frequent questions received are primarily related to the acceptability of scores for posting to a player’s scoring record. In particular, relating to modifying the hole and not requiring the player to “hole out” as required under the Rules of Golf. These are founded in a desire to minimize the possibility of exposing golfers to coronavirus and have included leaving the hole liner raised above the putting surface or placing various objects into the hole so the ball can be more easily removed. In these specific cases, provided guidance from health and governmental officials is being followed, a temporary measure is in place within the United States to accept scores played under these conditions for handicap purposes using the most likely score guidelines, even though the player has not holed out.

This temporary measure is now in effect within the United States until advised otherwise by the USGA.

And therein lies the truth of the local rule---MOST LIKELY SCORE When you slam the ball into the pipe and it bounces 40 feet away, it WAS NOT
going in the hole. You can pretty much tell if it was going in or not. Now, with the pipe sunk below the level of the green, some are too high and a putt that clearly was going in can roll over the pipe and back out.

brick010207 05-15-2020 11:13 AM

Was going to suggest same thing. You beat me to it

golfing eagles 05-15-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brick010207 (Post 1765539)
Was going to suggest same thing. You beat me to it

You snooze, you lose :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

DeafDeaf 05-15-2020 12:50 PM

Bingo!!!

fdpaq0580 05-15-2020 01:05 PM

Hole in one?

I don't play anymore since my golf buddy passed. We loved to play. For us it was more like an Easter egg hunt. Hit the ball then try to find it. I admire the skill some have at actually having some degree of control over their shots. And, I envy those who have fun playing, regardless of their skill or score.
Hole in one, in my pathetic opinion, depends on how seriously and honestly and by which set rules you want to play by. A hole in one by PGA standards is more impressive than a hole in one my friend or I might have claimed when seeing who had to buy the next round.
Have fun! Maybe someday... Maybe.

wisbad1 05-15-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

How about fixing ball marks, did they take away your divot tool?

fdpaq0580 05-15-2020 05:24 PM

Divot tool?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisbad1 (Post 1765606)
How about fixing ball marks, did they take away your divot tool?

Back when I used to play, my divot tool was my 8 iron. Made some real beauties with that thing.
Oh, you probably meant divot repair tool. My bad.

fishon 05-15-2020 05:45 PM

Why can’t the ambassadors rake the traps?
They don’t do much these days.
$8 an hour do something.

dewilson58 05-15-2020 05:48 PM

To avoid footprints, I do the worm to get out of bunkers.

The Worm (dance move) - YouTube

BamaBoy451 05-16-2020 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk (Post 1765352)
Actually, the Ambassadors our group spoke with said The Villages course rule is Option 1 provided by the USGA - Move the ball from the bunker, no closer to the hole, and play on with no penalty.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/ho...ping-faqs.html

Ground under repair could be used in two different manners. The first being to declare all bunkers to be ground under repair and treat them as part of the general area. This would allow players the option to take free relief outside the bunker under Rule 16.1. The second is to treat disturbed areas only as ground under repair. This would still allow a player free relief from such areas, but would require such relief to be taken elsewhere within the bunker.

Our group have been told by several ambassadors, your choice, play out of the bunker or don't, have fun and use the rules to your advantage. Look. No one here plays to make their mortgage payments on these retirement recreational courses.:clap2:

MSchad 05-16-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishon (Post 1765662)
$8 an hour do something.

Besides filling in divots on tee boxes and elsewhere, fixing all the unrepaired ball marks on the greens?

JoMar 05-16-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishon (Post 1765662)
$8 an hour do something.

Now that's just cold!

thomp679 05-16-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

For all of the 'professional' golfers out complaining about the sand traps, if you are that good, the ungroomed trap shouldn't be much of a challenge.

For all of you 'professional' greenskeepers that carry their own personal rakes, thanks for paying it forward.