Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Golf bunkers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/golf-bunkers-306468/)

cubfan1126 05-14-2020 02:21 PM

Golf bunkers

I know there a no rakes in the bunkers but could you at least TRY to smooth out your footprints with your foot or your club. Some of us still believe in “play it as it lies” in a bunker and landing in your footprint does make it more difficult.

alwann 05-14-2020 02:42 PM

I've been foot-raking. However, I'm not sure what our local rule is now. According to the USGA the local "committee," (that would the pro or golf management) may allow preferential lies in un-raked bunkers. You may not have to play it as it lies. Maybe another will know.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 05-14-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubfan1126 (Post 1765059)
I know there a no rakes in the bunkers but could you at least TRY to smooth out your footprints with your foot or your club. Some of us still believe in “play it as it lies” in a bunker and landing in your footprint does make it more difficult.

I also try to play it as it lies but with the condition of the courses and especially with no rakes, I don't have a problem with smoothing the bunker with my foot and giving myself a lie.

Of course we could always adopt the Pine Valley rules of never raking bunkers.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 05-14-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1765071)
I've been foot-raking. However, I'm not sure what our local rule is now. According to the USGA the local "committee," (that would the pro or golf management) may allow preferential lies in un-raked bunkers. You may not have to play it as it lies. Maybe another will know.

That would be up to a tournament committee or if you're playing in a foursome with a bet on the match it would be up to the individuals to come to an agreement.

I'm not sure if the USGA would approve of it as a local rule, but these are very special circumstances.

Or, we could all just agree as they do at Pine Valley, just don't hit it in there. If you do, it's your problem.

karostay 05-14-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubfan1126 (Post 1765059)

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Needed a good joke

Thanks

kcrazorbackfan 05-14-2020 05:37 PM

Do what a few of us do - carry your own rake for what you mess up. Fortunately, I hit in very few bunkers and no one else uses my rake.

Marvic 1 05-14-2020 06:46 PM

What bunkers, you can basically putt out of these things... :sad:

Rwirish 05-15-2020 05:11 AM

I will do this once the Daily Sun stops printing ridiculous holes in ones which did not go in the hole. Hitting the PVC pipes that were previously in place is not a hole a one.

golfing eagles 05-15-2020 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwirish (Post 1765238)
I will do this once the Daily Sun stops printing ridiculous holes in ones which did not go in the hole. Hitting the PVC pipes that were previously in place is not a hole a one.

No, but it's a pretty good shot in croquet :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

DrBrutyle109 05-15-2020 05:35 AM

YEs, with all that’s going on in the world...let’s worry about you “playing it as it lies”.

Gmb727 05-15-2020 05:52 AM

During these tough times, I am fairly sure that everyone would be OK if you moved the ball to a smoother area to hit from. No nearer the hole though. Unless of course if your playing in a PGA sponsored event. Things will be back to normal soon. Smile and enjoy the fact you are out there playing. Lots of places are still locked down. Perspective.

danglanzsr 05-15-2020 06:00 AM

What to worry about

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBrutyle109 (Post 1765248)
YEs, with all that’s going on in the world...let’s worry about you “playing it as it lies”.

I can't change all the bad things going on in the world so it is fruitless to worry about them. But I do worry about bad lies in bunkers.

Jacksig 05-15-2020 06:07 AM

I agree! They should be embarrassed!

Cheapbas 05-15-2020 06:28 AM

If there are no rakes, bunkers should be played with preferred lies. I.e. give yourself the same lie as if it was raked. Why are you torturing yourself.

Joanne19335 05-15-2020 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwirish (Post 1765238)

Amen!