Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Pro Golf (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pro-golf-333/)
-   -   Who's excited about LIVE golf match next Sunday? I sure am!!! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pro-golf-333/whos-excited-about-live-golf-match-next-sunday-i-sure-am-306562/)

DeanFL 05-17-2020 07:55 AM

Who's excited about LIVE golf match next Sunday? I sure am!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Tom Brady, Phil Mickelson, Peyton Manning and Tiger Woods to Tee Off for Coronavirus Relief

In a sports-starved society amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, four of the most high-profile competitors across any sport are facing off for your entertainment, and to raise money for coronavirus relief. Bucs quarterback Tom Brady will pair off with former Arizona State Sun Devil Phil Mickelson and take on former NFL quarterback Peyton Manning and Tiger Woods, who needs no qualifier on May 24 for "The Match: Champions for Charity" golf tournament, another iteration of Capital One's "The Match" series at the Medalist Golf Club in Hobe Sound, Florida, just outside of Palm Beach.TNT and TBS will broadcast “The Match”. The action will get underway at 3 p.m. ET on Sunday.

An accompanying $10 million donation to COVID-19 relief efforts was announced last week by Turner Sports, TNT will broadcast the tournament.

And while it may be for charity, with these four, you can bet the trash talk has already started. In fact, Brady may have kicked it off with this tweet.

Tom Brady
@TomBrady

Never had much of a hard time beating the colts or a tiger, don’t see this time being much different...

BamaBoy451 05-17-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1766411)
Tom Brady, Phil Mickelson, Peyton Manning and Tiger Woods to Tee Off for Coronavirus Relief

In a sports-starved society amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, four of the most high-profile competitors across any sport are facing off for your entertainment, and to raise money for coronavirus relief. Bucs quarterback Tom Brady will pair off with former Arizona State Sun Devil Phil Mickelson and take on former NFL quarterback Peyton Manning and Tiger Woods, who needs no qualifier on May 24 for "The Match: Champions for Charity" golf tournament, another iteration of Capital One's "The Match" series at the Medalist Golf Club in Hobe Sound, Florida, just outside of Palm Beach.TNT and TBS will broadcast “The Match”. The action will get underway at 3 p.m. ET on Sunday.

An accompanying $10 million donation to COVID-19 relief efforts was announced last week by Turner Sports, TNT will broadcast the tournament.

And while it may be for charity, with these four, you can bet the trash talk has already started. In fact, Brady may have kicked it off with this tweet.

Tom Brady
@TomBrady

Never had much of a hard time beating the colts or a tiger, don’t see this time being much different...

I think it will be fun and interesting. I plan to watch it or at least record for later.:coolsmiley:

davem4616 05-17-2020 09:02 AM

I know some folks enjoy this...but never could get into watching golf on TV...I always feel like I have to stay quiet and it just feels like watching grass grow

John_W 05-17-2020 09:23 AM

That's going to be good, but you don't have to wait another week. Today at 2pm on a couple of channels we have a live golf match betwen Rory McIlroy & Dustin Johnson against two Oklahoma State guys Ricki Fowler & Matthew Wolff. I'll be watching both weeks. My favorite sports on TV are the NFL and golf at a major is second.

https://elitesportsny.com/wp-content...tting-odds.jpg

Bay Kid 05-18-2020 07:36 AM

Thank s for the heads up. DVR set.

BS Beef 05-18-2020 08:33 AM

I enjoyed the Rory, DJ, Rickie, and Matt match. I think next weeks will be a bit better. Hopefully they learned a little from this one. It was fun, but just a bit off. Maybe if we heard more from the players since they were "miked up". I'd be surprised if you don't get more personality out of next weekend event.

I will say it left me liking Rory more. I have always liked Rickie and that did not change. You could really tell how young Matt was, still a bit immature IMO, but wow is he going to be a talent and unique guy good for the game.

tophcfa 05-18-2020 09:49 AM

Thanks for heads up, just set the DVR. Should be interesting.

Northwoods 05-18-2020 09:47 PM

Watched Rory, Dustin, Matt and RIcky. It was just great to watch live sports. Fun that they carried their bags and wore shorts. IT was great to have live golf back on TV.

charlieo1126@gmail.com 05-19-2020 09:33 AM

I would like to watch it but I’m scheduled to watch my grass grow at the same time

UpNorth 05-25-2020 07:20 PM

Thank God for DVR recorders. Slow, slow and boring. Couldn't watch more that 9 holes max. Pointless competition with the exception of being a benefit for charity. Annoying commentary and show biz people used to fill in the time. And finally, poor to mediocre play by the participants. A poor substitute for a real golf tournament IMHO.

John_W 05-25-2020 09:39 PM

I really enjoyed the last match. Tom Brady couldn't hit a fairway and he didn't even use his driver, I forgot how many times he had an unplayable lie or lost ball. At one point, Brooks Koepka called in and said he would donate a $100K if Brady could just make a par. Finally about the 7th hole Charles Barkley was saying I want to play Brady and I'll even give you strokes, and Barkley is bad, at which Tom hit a 150 shot to the green, it landed 3' from the cup and backed up into the cup for birdie.

Peyton Manning was fantastic with the irons, and he did hit driver off the tee but also couldn't hit a fairway. Phil was giving some great pointers on chipping and what to look for in the grain when landing and rolling out the shot. He gave an in depth lesson to Tom about a chip, at which point Barkley said he's giving the brain surgery explanation, but the chip stopped a foot from the cup.

Tiger hit every fairway, it's the best he's hit the ball in quite sometime. Tiger and Peyton were 3 up at one point, but Phil and Tom fought back and it came down to the last hole with Tiger and Peyton holding onto their 1 hole lead for the victory.

If people think paint drying is more interesting, then they don't know anything about golf, or more importantly sports in general. Head to head competition is the best, and that's what we had here. It wasn't the Masters or the US Open, but then again, they ain't happening at this moment.

DeanFL 05-25-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1771242)
I really enjoyed the last match. Tom Brady couldn't hit a fairway and he didn't even use his driver, I forgot how many times he had an unplayable lie or lost ball. At one point, Brooks Koepka called in and said he would donate a $100K if Brady could just make a par. Finally about the 7th hole Charles Barkley was saying I want to play Brady and I'll even give you strokes, and Barkley is bad, at which Tom hit a 150 shot to the green, it landed 3' from the cup and backed up into the cup for birdie.

Peyton Manning was fantastic with the irons, and he did hit driver off the tee but also couldn't hit a fairway. Phil was giving some great pointers on chipping and what to look for in the grain when landing and rolling out the shot. He gave an in depth lesson to Tom about a chip, at which point Barkley said he's giving the brain surgery explanation, but the chip stopped a foot from the cup.

Tiger hit every fairway, it's the best he's hit the ball in quite sometime. Tiger and Peyton were 3 up at one point, but Phil and Tom fought back and it came down to the last hole with Tiger and Peyton holding onto their 1 hole lead for the victory.

If people think paint drying is more interesting, then they don't know anything about golf, or more importantly sports in general. Head to head competition is the best, and that's what we had here. It wasn't the Masters or the US Open, but then again, they ain't happening at this moment.

+++ to all your analysis. Sure at times it was slow - I did DVR and began watching an hour or so into it, so FFwd thru commercials etc. Too bad the weather was so bad, althought that did add some interest and challenges. I liked the banter - it was most times lively and certainly funny and not 'uppity'. Good to see Tiger back on track, Phil such a wise man on the course, Peyton a very good golfer (more time to practice being retired, and TB with the struggles and all - a nice calm (but so competitive) guy. Best of all, this was finally a SPORT to watch - unpainted mostly.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 05-26-2020 08:02 AM

That was a lot of fun. Too bad the weather was so bad and Brady played so poorly on the first nine. We've all been there.

Brady is not a bad player but we've all had those days. One of his unfortunately came on national television.

It did serve to emphasize how consistent the tour players are. Even when they have a bad day it's not an off the planet bad day. Instead of shooting 66-68 they'll shoot 71-72.

raynan 05-26-2020 08:37 AM

Both Sunday matches were fun to watch.