Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Ollie's Frozen Custard (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/ollies-frozen-custard-306578/)

boatmaiden 05-17-2020 12:41 PM

Ollie's Frozen Custard

My husband and I are trying to support local business in a responsible way by wearing masks and following CDC guidelines. Last night we stopped by Ollies Frozen Custard but when we entered, the server was not wearing a mask. When questioned about this, she just shrugged and indicated she didn't have to. We made our purchase and left. Today I spoke with a co-owner who rudely informed me that there is not indication from the state that they HAVE to require their employees to wear a mask. When I pointed out that businesses around TV are having their employees masked, she said that was fine but she doesn't HAVE to make that a requirement and won't. When I pointed out that this was in total disrespect for her paying customers, she indicated that she didn't care. After 22 years of spending money in her store, it won't happen again! Just wanted to let people who are trying to be responsible in these times, Ollies is not respecting you. For people who are not following the CDC guidelines, don't bother commenting because, frankly, I don't care. This is just a warning for those of us who care for others.

fishon 05-17-2020 01:26 PM

I'm only aware of two far southern Florida counties where facial covering is required.
Obviously the OP's outrage is superficial. They made a food purchase from a person without a face covering.

EdFNJ 05-17-2020 01:37 PM

Are Florida restaurant workers required to wear masks?

Are restaurant workers required to wear masks?

This question has come up frequently since Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order on April 29 allowing restaurants to open, with restrictions, on May 4.

The simple answer: No.

"Executive Order 20-112 does not mandate the use of masks," Karen Smith, director of communications for the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, said via email.

"However, customers, employees and employers are encouraged to consult CDC guidance," she said.

Joe V. 05-17-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1766684)
Are Florida restaurant workers required to wear masks?

Are restaurant workers required to wear masks?

This question has come up frequently since Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order on April 29 allowing restaurants to open, with restrictions, on May 4.

The simple answer: No.

"Executive Order 20-112 does not mandate the use of masks," Karen Smith, director of communications for the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, said via email.

"However, customers, employees and employers are encouraged to consult CDC guidance," she said.

Guidelines. Not laws.

brianherlihy 05-17-2020 01:42 PM

just don't go and be nice

Joe V. 05-17-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianherlihy (Post 1766692)
just don't go and be nice

Why should I not go?

600th Photo Sq 05-17-2020 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe V. (Post 1766693)
Why should I not go?

The possible reason that you should not go is very simple.

Because you don't feel like it. :shocked:

CFrance 05-17-2020 04:57 PM

The OP lost credibility IMO when she confronted the store personnel about not wearing a mask and then made a purchase anyway.

And this is a forum, the purpose of which is to allow people to comment on issues. You don't get to pick and choose who can comment.

600th Photo Sq 05-17-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1766788)
The OP lost credibility IMO when she confronted the store personnel about not wearing a mask and then made a purchase anyway.

And this is a forum, the purpose of which is to allow people to comment on issues. You don't get to pick and choose who can comment.

I totally agree. That said I do really like to comment.

And of course I put forth my solutions to problems. They often come to me completely out of the blue.

I fill a void here in The Villages. :)

Stu from NYC 05-17-2020 06:17 PM

Quote:

/very true posted thinks it is her way or the highway.

davem4616 05-17-2020 06:27 PM

if I felt uncomfortable in a retail situation I would have just left, regardless of the history that I may have had with them (without making a scene)...yet the OP didn't and then came back the next day?

guess I'm too old to give a retail store '3 strikes'....before they're out

Hopeful2 05-17-2020 07:46 PM

Wynn Dixie too

I went into Wynn Dixie yesterday for the first time in many weeks. The person working the deli counter was not wearing a mask. I turned around and walked out.

Mini_T 05-17-2020 11:22 PM

I'm just curious how do you eat your frozen custard with a mask on?

John41 05-18-2020 02:12 AM

I would have walked out. Complete disrespect for an older population at higher than average risk and a bad attitude.

Hayek1957 05-18-2020 04:57 AM

Quote:

That was the action that first caught my attention. A transaction was still conducted, only to complain about the lack of masks on a forum later.