Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Refinancing existing home (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/refinancing-existing-home-306607/)

tvbound 05-18-2020 11:19 AM

Refinancing existing home

Recognizing that a larger than normal percentage of TV homes are purchased entirely with cash, I'm sure there are still plenty that although they didn't really need to, financed at least a portion (which we've been contemplating) of their purchase. While the thought of not having a monthly mortgage is very enticing, so is the idea of having a small and easily managed mortgage, while also having a healthy extra 6 figures in the bank.

I'm just curious, given the current low mortgage interest rates, if there are any people who have been thinking of refinancing and maybe taking out some equity built up since purchasing. The idea of even giving a 70 year old a 30 year mortgage is a thread in itself.LOL I can't help but think if there are some who have found their calculations of savings & investments in retirement aren't working out to what they thought they would be (due to higher costs, extended longevity or both), are looking to refinance to make up for it.

I believe I read that most banks aren't doing HELOC's right now, so I'm thinking that refinancing (even with closing and other costs) would be the only way to access cash in the equity built up in the last number of years.

vintageogauge 05-18-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvbound (Post 1767235)
Recognizing that a larger than normal percentage of TV homes are purchased entirely with cash, I'm sure there are still plenty that although they didn't really need to, financed at least a portion (which we've been contemplating) of their purchase. While the thought of not having a monthly mortgage is very enticing, so is the idea of having a small and easily managed mortgage, while also having a healthy extra 6 figures in the bank.

I'm just curious, given the current low mortgage interest rates, if there are any people who have been thinking of refinancing and maybe taking out some equity built up since purchasing. The idea of even giving a 70 year old a 30 year mortgage is a thread in itself.LOL I can't help but think if there are some who have found their calculations of savings & investments in retirement aren't working out to what they thought they would be (due to higher costs, extended longevity or both), are looking to refinance to make up for it.

I believe I read that most banks aren't doing HELOC's right now, so I'm thinking that refinancing (even with closing and other costs) would be the only way to access cash in the equity built up in the last number of years.

I don't know how long you have had your current mortgage but if you re-finance you'll be starting all over paying mostly interest and very little on your principal.

tvbound 05-18-2020 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1767268)
I don't know how long you have had your current mortgage but if you re-finance you'll be starting all over paying mostly interest and very little on your principal.

Having sold my long-owned home last fall, and yet to purchase in TV, I currently have no mortgage.

As to building equity because of paying mostly interest instead of it going to principal, at this age and stage of life - I'm curious as to why some people think it matters? If someone is determined to maximize what their heirs will receive (ie: increased equity in existing home), maybe then it would be a concern I suppose. That being based on the hope that the house equity outperforms the extra 6 figures a person would have in the bank, that could be invested in a number of ways.

bagboy 05-18-2020 01:07 PM

Everyone has different circumstances and financial needs. Two points, ONE, a borrower cannot be discriminated against when applying for a mortgage due to age. If an 85 year old qualifies financially, they will get a loan. And TWO, there ARE lenders/credit unions that are currently offering home equity lines of credit

retiredguy123 05-18-2020 01:15 PM

Banks have no reason to discriminate against a borrower because of advanced age. They don't expect anyone who gets a mortgage to make 30 years of payments.

JoMar 05-18-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1767318)
Banks have no reason to discriminate against a borrower because of advanced age. They don't expect anyone who gets a mortgage to make 30 years of payments.

As a few finacial experts have told me, at this age why spend your money when you can spend someone elses. Everything is about cash flow. Now, if I was in my 50's or 60's that might be different.

manaboutown 05-18-2020 01:49 PM

If one has a use for the money why not get a 10 or 15 year mortgage? They are dirt cheap.

vintageogauge 05-18-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvbound (Post 1767277)
Having sold my long-owned home last fall, and yet to purchase in TV, I currently have no mortgage.

As to building equity because of paying mostly interest instead of it going to principal, at this age and stage of life - I'm curious as to why some people think it matters? If someone is determined to maximize what their heirs will receive (ie: increased equity in existing home), maybe then it would be a concern I suppose. That being based on the hope that the house equity outperforms the extra 6 figures a person would have in the bank, that could be invested in a number of ways.

Got confused with the title of your post asking about re-financing existing home vs mortgage.

tvbound 05-18-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1767340)
Got confused with the title of your post asking about re-financing existing home vs mortgage.

That's why I stated - "financed at least a portion (which we've been contemplating) of their purchase."

thelegges 05-18-2020 05:14 PM

OPM ( other People’s Money). If your investment make more than the current interest rate it’s a win. Your financial advisor should be more help then here

capecoralbill 05-18-2020 06:05 PM

I'm thinking of doing this too, and I'm going to use "Citizens First" Bank, i believe it is owned by the Developer. Then when my house gets swallowed up by a SINKHOLE, I'll just be able to walk away.

Jayhawk 05-18-2020 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capecoralbill (Post 1767476)
I'm thinking of doing this too, and I'm going to use "Citizens First" Bank, i believe it is owned by the Developer. Then when my house gets swallowed up by a SINKHOLE, I'll just be able to walk away.

Keep telling yourself that.

:1rotfl:

John41 05-18-2020 10:19 PM

We looked into refinancing but would have to pay $4000 in closing costs plus all the paperwork. Decided to pass it up.

gsovas 05-19-2020 05:34 AM

Mortgages

I personally took a very large mortgage when I moved here even though I had the moany to pay for this home. I did it for two reasons:1. as we get older, many find it is necessary to do a reverse mortgage because they are running out of cash (this is very costly) 2. It allowed me to have a substantial amount of cash if I wanted to travel, buy a new car or whatever. So using these excuses above, it allowed me to invest the money which allowed me to make between 10 & 25% in the market while my interest rate on the mortgage was only 3.25%. Also as one person said, why do I want to leave the value of this home to someone else when I can be enjoying the money while I am still alive?
So if you can refinance at a very low rate and avoid the big costs by shopping on line, I would do it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvbound (Post 1767235)

TNLAKEPANDA 05-19-2020 06:21 AM

You should look into the Pros and Cons of doing a Reverse Mortgage!