Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Memorial Day (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/memorial-day-306704/)

CarolSells 05-21-2020 12:35 PM

Memorial Day

2 Attachment(s)
Franklin Runyon Sousley
U.S. Marines

My dad’s cousin, who was from Fleming County, Kentucky, was one of the original flag raisers on Mount Suribachi, Iwo Jima In 1945.

Unfortunately, he only lived for a few more days after the famous picture was taken. My dad was so proud of him.

Stu from NYC 05-21-2020 01:04 PM

Thank you for sharing.

davem4616 05-21-2020 01:23 PM

thanks for sharing your story

we owe all those that have ever had the courage and the commitment to serve in our country's armed forces a huge thank you

Polar Bear 05-21-2020 02:10 PM

Thank you for sharing and your family for serving.

twoplanekid 05-21-2020 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trying to keep the dream alive by flying the flag this Memorial Day weekend and God bless everyone who served!

New Englander 05-21-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolSells (Post 1768855)
Franklin Runyon Sousley
U.S. Marines

My dad’s cousin, who was from Fleming County, Kentucky, was one of the original flag raisers on Mount Suribachi, Iwo Jima In 1945.

Unfortunately, he only lived for a few more days after the famous picture was taken. My dad was so proud of him.

What an incredible achievement by the US Marines to take Mt Suribachi. The Japanese would not give up and fought like devils. But Marines just kept advancing and many were killed. COURAGE, BRAVERY, VALOR = USMC. Semper Fi

Maryc7878 05-22-2020 05:12 AM

Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

pathamilton 05-22-2020 06:28 AM

Thank you for the beautiful post reminding us of true heroes and the price of freedom.
My dad was also a marine and at the bottom of that very hill fighting for our freedom when that picture was taken.
He was one of few who lived to talk about the River of Red.
So grateful to very woman and mean that fights for our freedom and their families and friends that support them!

RATeasley 05-22-2020 09:33 AM

Just thought I'd give my first public appreciation and share that my father, James Mitch Eller, lost his young life on May 25, 1945 on the USS Bates in Okinawa, at the age of 19. He would have had his 20th birthday on May 31st. I was 11 days old.
My 19 year old mother, June L. Weaver Eller..., God bless her sweet soul, was a sweetheart, wife, mother and widow in less than one year. She and my grandparents taught me the importance of giving thanks to those who fought for the wonderful freedom that we all enjoy here in the United States of America.
Thank you to my family members listed below who have all done their share to keep our freedom:
(Father) James Mitch Eller, U.S. Navy
(Grandfather), Jefferson Cole Weaver, Sr., U.S. Army, WWII.
(Uncle), Jefferson C. Weaver, Jr., U.S. Marines
(Brother) Middie Austin Starling, III, U.S. Army
(Brother) Paul L. Moye, U.S. Army
(Former Spouse) Dennis Asbury Teasley, U S. Army

I will be flying a large American flag at my home and on my Red, White and Blue golf cart as I travel throughout The Villages this weekend in recognition of my relatives and all who fought for our country, as well to all fellow Americans who join me in remembering those who helped make America what it is today. I realize that thousands of families endured similar tragedies, we are survivors who will never forget. We are so blessed! Forever Thankful! God Bless America
Ramona Eller Teasley, Glenbrook

Stu from NYC 05-22-2020 09:37 AM

My father was in the Army and was on Iwo Jima. He would never talk about his experiences there.

lwmilo 05-22-2020 10:08 AM

Yes indeed fly the American Flag... To all us Veterans who fly the Great American flag all year long with a light projected on the flag at night, on Memorial Day the American flag should be flown at "Half Mast" (from sunrise to sunset) with No Other Flag attached to the flag pole. This day is not a celebration, but a day of remembrance of those who passed and served in the Armed Forces Just some friendly info.
NamVet "69"

Mewatt2@gmail.com 05-22-2020 11:08 AM

So sad for your loss. He would hasve been proud how much that event has been shared.

S been
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolSells (Post 1768855)
Franklin Runyon Sousley
U.S. Marines

Curtisbwp 05-22-2020 11:13 AM

What about 'Ira Hayes?

PugMom 05-22-2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov (Post 1769200)
My father was in the Army and was on Iwo Jima. He would never talk about his experiences there.

same with mine, we only found out the extent of his performance until after he passed

Stu from NYC 05-22-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtisbwp (Post 1769265)
What about 'Ira Hayes?

Please tell us more