Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Unwanted mail (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/unwanted-mail-306760/)

missypie 05-22-2020 05:47 PM

Unwanted mail

We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.

JoMar 05-22-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missypie (Post 1769378)
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.

I feel the same when car dealers send me that key :)

OrangeBlossomBaby 05-22-2020 05:53 PM

Jehovah Witnesses don't "prey" on elderly folks. They're not trying to get anyone to give them money, property, food, clothing, homes, cars, or anything else. Even if you end up joining their religion, you're not required to take a vow of poverty and give up all your worldly goods or any other such thing.

It can annoy you - you have the right to be annoyed. But if they put a stamp on it and sent it first-class, they have the right to send it to you.

Just stick it in the trash and don't worry yourself another moment about it. They won't take it personally if you say no.

davem4616 05-22-2020 06:03 PM

if you consider something junk mail...treat it that way and don't make a darn issue out of it

non of us can control the junk mail that comes our way...everyone is selling their contact lists to others for $$$$

I donate a lot to The Salvation Army...they send me emails from 3 different Salvation Army locations twice a month asking for help

I don't get twisted around my underwear about it...I just throw those mailers out and contribute when I want to (because I truly believe in that charity)

CWGUY 05-22-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

:shrug: Must not be roofers! :icon_wink:

Stu from NYC 05-22-2020 06:07 PM

That is why one has a circular file

We moved here a few months ago from Virginia and our junk mail didnt get forwarded, thankfully but now we have a whole new set to toss.

CWGUY 05-22-2020 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1769380)
I feel the same when car dealers send me that key :)

:agree: And who told them that size matters? Mine is bigger than yours - :pepper2: Some of those flyers are HUGH!

Marathon Man 05-22-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

So, you are not irritated by other "unwanted" mail? Just from the JW's. guess that tells us something.

Stu from NYC 05-22-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 1769437)
So, you are not irritated by other "unwanted" mail? Just from the JW's. guess that tells us something.

Good point

timinthevillages 05-22-2020 09:50 PM

Just a reminder. At my mail box unit there is a sign asking to take your junk mail home and to please not deposit it in the community trash cans.

Velvet 05-22-2020 10:31 PM

I wish there was a way of the postman/woman identifying what I consider junk mail. I’m actually paying for my mailbox for this stuff and then they even put me to work throwing it out. And because my name and address are on it, I prefer to shred it. I think we should be able to do something to stop this type of annoying behavior.

golfing eagles 05-23-2020 04:48 AM

Quote:

Too bad they didn't send it when the TP shortage was at its worst :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Girlcopper 05-23-2020 04:48 AM

Quote:

Its called “junk” mail. Throw it away and go on with your life. Geeez

Heyitsrick 05-23-2020 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1769462)
I wish there was a way of the postman/woman identifying what I consider junk mail. I’m actually paying for my mailbox for this stuff and then they even put me to work throwing it out. And because my name and address are on it, I prefer to shred it. I think we should be able to do something to stop this type of annoying behavior.

That's a disaster waiting to happen. If postal employees have to take the time to identify "junk" mail, sooner or later (sooner) someone's not going to get a check in the mail or some such, and it's lawsuit time. Plus, what's the postal worker supposed to do then, schlep the "junk" mail back to the post office? They're delivery people. I don't want them making value judgments about my mail.

maggie1 05-23-2020 05:30 AM

I Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyitsrick (Post 1769476)
That's a disaster waiting to happen. If postal employees have to take the time to identify "junk" mail, sooner or later (sooner) someone's not going to get a check in the mail or some such, and it's lawsuit time. Plus, what's the postal worker supposed to do then, schlep the "junk" mail back to the post office? They're delivery people. I don't want them making value judgments about my mail.

Good point! In addition to that, there are some pretty lonely people in this community who appreciate getting somethi ng in the mail, even if it ends up in the circular container.