Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Scavengers/poachers on the golf course?!? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/scavengers-poachers-golf-course-306798/)

billethkid 05-23-2020 05:36 PM

Scavengers/poachers on the golf course?!?

On the first tee at Heron this morning waiting my turn in the tee box.
A crow lights on the seat of my golf cart, picks up my oats and chocolate breakfast bar (unopened yet) and flies away with it.

That is a first!!!!

:rant-rave:

anothersteve 05-23-2020 05:42 PM

Watch for those damn squirrels too!
Steve

Mleeja 05-23-2020 05:47 PM

I had a crow take a package of peanut butter crackers out of my cart while parked at Winn-Dixie at LSL. The package was on the ground next to the cart and the crow had opened crackers.

Northwoods 05-23-2020 07:54 PM

First hole of Calusa is brutal. You're putting on the green and the birds are picking your cart apart. Then they leave a little white "thank you gift" on your steering wheel when they're done.

JGVillages 05-23-2020 08:00 PM

Many years ago when I lived at Fiddlesticks in Fort Myers a crow flew away with a players Rolex watch from the cart. They like food and shiny things.

dnobles 05-23-2020 08:08 PM

Take plastic shopping bags and hook them to the curtain straps. They will blow in the wind and keep the birds away. Also cover the steering wheel .

John_W 05-23-2020 09:11 PM

I've had black birds at Belle Glade Calusa take an energy bar off the seat of my cart while I was on the green and Cane Garden Jacaranda Hole #5 the monkey squirrels in the big oak tree will take anything in your cart, orange crackers, energy bars, raisins, although I haven't seen them lately. I live about 100 yards away from that hole in a CYV and have 4 regular squirrels in my backyard all the time.

Once I was sitting in my car in front of Publix at Colony and a cart parked next to me, I watched two black birds go inside the cart and check it out everything in the cart. I learned if you playing golf, anything you have open, when you go to the green or tee put it in the glove box.

Rwirish 05-24-2020 05:04 AM

Happens all the time.

Dilligas 05-24-2020 05:29 AM

They take everything

At our course in South Florida, the squirrels took everything from food to golf balls to jewelry. A friend lost a ring so got a ladder after golf and with a bag boy climbed up to the nest and found a treasure chest of things from gum, food, gloves, rings, and watches.

Jewelz 05-24-2020 05:40 AM

Smart birds- they know that the Villages is a great place to hand out to find goodies!!!

wamley 05-24-2020 05:56 AM

The jewelry has a pocket in most golf carts, to date haven't lost any, but food is different thing. Black birds have unzipped pockets with food i them.

2heartsapart 05-24-2020 05:57 AM

When I lived in a Brooksville on a course there were Monkey Squirrels who would race up onto the putting greens and steal the balls...hilarious the first time, less so on repeats!!

caseycasebeer 05-24-2020 07:02 AM

Critters on the Golf Course

At the Wrangell golf course in Southeast Alaska, if an eagle or raven steals your golf ball you’re permitted to play another ball without taking a penalty stroke. Around here, how many folks have lost a golf ball to an alligator?

FYI: The 9-hole Wrangell course has two flags on each AstroTurf ‘green so you can play “eighteen.”

Suzieque 05-24-2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northwoods (Post 1769906)
First hole of Calusa is brutal. You're putting on the green and the birds are picking your cart apart. Then they leave a little white "thank you gift" on your steering wheel when they're done.

Good thing you have those disinfecting wipes!

Suzieque 05-24-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2heartsapart (Post 1769979)
When I lived in a Brooksville on a course there were Monkey Squirrels who would race up onto the putting greens and steal the balls...hilarious the first time, less so on repeats!!

I never heard of a monkey squirrel so googled it and all I see are monkeys. Is what you are talking about a real monkey?