Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Radio in my golf cart? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/radio-my-golf-cart-306825/)

Dani & Bill 05-24-2020 09:44 AM

Radio in my golf cart?

Bought a used cart that does not have a radio/cd/aux. Seems like most we have seen do. What is your experience? Necessary, nice to have, never use it? If I decide to add it to my cart, who is the most cost effective installer?
Thanks!

l2ridehd 05-24-2020 09:51 AM

OK to have. Certainly not required. I did mine as cost effectively as can be done. Series has an app for you phone if you have it in any car. So I got a bluetooth speaker from Amazon for $20, mounted it under the dash and it has a plug for my USB port to keep it charged. Paired it to the phone and it works great. Total cost $20. Biggest issue is because the cart is open and somewhat noisy, it has to be to loud to be effective.

John_W 05-24-2020 09:58 AM

This was discussed last week.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...adio+golf+cart

timinthevillages 05-24-2020 12:03 PM

If you buy a name brand (Bose or JBL) you won't have to crank the volume. It's worth the extra cost.

villagetinker 05-24-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dani & Bill (Post 1770216)
Bought a used cart that does not have a radio/cd/aux. Seems like most we have seen do. What is your experience? Necessary, nice to have, never use it? If I decide to add it to my cart, who is the most cost effective installer?
Thanks!

IMHO, do a Google search (or Amazon) for golf cart radios (NO CD player), there are several TRAY type systems that mount overhead and have built in speakers. these are relatively easy to install IF ordered for your year and make of golf cart, typically only 2 wires power and ground required. I have helped other neighbors with these. Send me a PM if you want to discuss further.

n8xwb 05-24-2020 08:44 PM

Most don't! And quite frankly, I for one don't want to listen to your choice of programming when in my cart, soooo please keep your windows closed if you have one installed and use it....oh, no windows? Then please don't install one.

jakers 05-25-2020 05:28 AM

Agree! Good thing most don’t have radios. Imagine the sound driving in your cart having to hear 10 different stations around you!

Viperguy 05-25-2020 05:42 AM

Ear buds and a cell phone.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 05-25-2020 06:02 AM

I want to know where all these carts with radios are. Although they exist, my experience is that they are rare.

I have no issue if anyone wants one or has one. I'm just surprised to hear someone say that most golf carts in The Villages have one.

jpearson 05-25-2020 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 1770221)
OK to have. Certainly not required. I did mine as cost effectively as can be done. Series has an app for you phone if you have it in any car. So I got a bluetooth speaker from Amazon for $20, mounted it under the dash and it has a plug for my USB port to keep it charged. Paired it to the phone and it works great. Total cost $20. Biggest issue is because the cart is open and somewhat noisy, it has to be to loud to be effective.

To piggyback on this thread. I too bought a BlueTooth speaker from Amazon, but paid more for it. I bought a high-end JBL. I keep in the sweater basket while in the car and did not mount it. I like to bring it back on the lanai, or with me as I work outside. The larger more expensive one was about 179 bucks and I LOVE it. I too use the app for SiriusXM radio so I can enjoy music everywhere I go. As for being loud enough in the cart, I control the volume with my phone and it works great. I never turn it up fully and my wife and I sing along with it. In my opinion, I have had low-end BT speakers and they are fine for some applications, but to really enjoy your music, a better speaker is necessary. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is true most of the time. Enjoy.

JimmyDebbie 05-25-2020 06:37 AM

We have a portable device called Amp Caddy that pairs to our phones. We also use the Sirius app or Pandora app to play music. It clamps onto the cart and we can remove and take other places or bring it for charging. It holds around 20 hours of charge. I turn the volume down when we slow down or come to a stop so it’s not as loud as when we are riding. Having music makes the golf cart ride more enjoyable.

mbalsama 05-25-2020 06:38 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

Radio reception tends to be spotty in the Villages, but music streaming works just fine using Pandora , Sirius FM apps on my cell phone. I got the JBL Bluetooth Speaker system fron the Villages Golf Cars installed. It is weatherproof and works great!

Bay Kid 05-25-2020 06:53 AM

I had a Streetrod w/a builtin stereo. Too loud for others. Sold that ride now I have a bluetooth speaker I carry cart to cart and control better.

Bethwill 05-25-2020 07:33 AM

Never even thought of having a radio. It would have to be turned up too loud to even hear it, and might bother others. Ear buds in your phone would be more effective if you miss your music that much.

theruizs 05-25-2020 07:43 AM

In gas carts, the sound has to be turned up too high and disturbs anyone you come near. It works better in electric carts. However, even though we have had a radio/xm in both types of cart we really didn’t use it much. I guess we are one of those rare couples who like to talk when we are together, or talk to whomever we are riding with. So we only used it when we were alone anyway. IMHO, it really isn’t worth it. Use your bluetooth earbuds and smartphone when you want music.

Bill1701 05-25-2020 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgilcreast (Post 1770618)
Ear buds and a cell phone.

Florida: “Wearing a headset, headphone, or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing, is not permitted while driving. "

croughwell 05-25-2020 07:51 AM

I just love when a Villager who is hard of.hearing tools along in his cart blasting his favorite music. Quite impressive!

Gobragh 05-25-2020 07:54 AM

I have a blue tooth speaker that fits in the cup holder of my golf cart ... cost about $24.
I have an app on my iPhone that I connect to the blue tooth speaker. Works great for me!

MOMOH 05-25-2020 08:06 AM

How do you mount the speaker so it doesn't get stolen?

BamaBoy451 05-25-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOMOH (Post 1770797)
How do you mount the speaker so it doesn't get stolen?

I built a speaker box for the speakers in both our carts and they are mounted to the rear roof bolts. They're not fancy by any means.

John_W 05-25-2020 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bethwill (Post 1770744)
Never even thought of having a radio. It would have to be turned up too loud to even hear it, and might bother others. Ear buds in your phone would be more effective if you miss your music that much.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/41/c1...980eaf28e0.jpg

For a real radio, the ideal installation is an overhead mount in the ceiling of the cart roof, and the speakers are only about a foot from your head. This puts the unit out-of-sight unless someone was actually in your cart, and the sound can be a much lower volume.

There are literally dozens on these on eBay and Amazon. This one comes with the AM/FM radio and sells for $160 with free shipping from Lake Placid, Florida. There are others which are only the housing and speakers and a empty slot for your own radio. For example, if you XM Radio in your car, you can get a radio head for free or better units for less than $50 and you only pay $6 a month as it piggybacks on your existing account.

Golf cart radio mini-max, smallest on the market with big 6.5" Speakers | eBay

Dwest135790 05-25-2020 08:26 AM

Yeahhhh, many of us don’t have great hearing and or the fastest reflexes so I think earbuds in golf carts and or cars etc is a very dangerous proposition. You cannot likely hear if someone is coming which you may need to take action on. Just my two cents!!!

dcny730 05-25-2020 08:29 AM

Bushnel has a new product designed for golf carts which is a combined speaker and Golf gps. Will have an app tie in also. It’s a available for pre order now. Check it out.

theruizs 05-25-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill1701 (Post 1770764)
Florida: “Wearing a headset, headphone, or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing, is not permitted while driving. "

Not sure this would apply to golf carts on multi-modal paths. But if it does, then it should apply just as well to playing music so loud that you can’t hear anything outside of the cart.

theruizs 05-25-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwest135790 (Post 1770835)
Yeahhhh, many of us don’t have great hearing and or the fastest reflexes so I think earbuds in golf carts and or cars etc is a very dangerous proposition. You cannot likely hear if someone is coming which you may need to take action on. Just my two cents!!!

Same would be true playing the radio so loud you can’t hear them coming either.

theruizs 05-25-2020 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill1701 (Post 1770764)

Actually, it does not apply to “any person using a headset in conjunction with a cellular telephone that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear.” So one earbud is still ok, even in cars on the highway.

WindyCityzen 05-25-2020 08:56 AM

Get Bluetooth speakers. I use them for Sirius XM radio or my own radio off my cell. Even stream a station from back home.

sipops 05-25-2020 09:44 AM

I have an old iphone with bluetooth that has a 32 g mini memory card. I am going to down load my music or use Pandora. I just purchased a bluetooth speaker that I will mount with velcro to a spot in the cart. Just something to think about.

joseppe 05-25-2020 10:33 AM

We have one with a radio

Quote:

Thanks!

We have a cart with a radio in it. Bought it used with the radio already in it. I never use the radio, but I'm not a music person. My wife who IS a music person doesn't use the radio either.

LynneH 05-25-2020 11:51 AM

Radio i Golf Cart

After listening to several folks blasting their choice of music, we decided stopped using our golf cart radio. The golf cart is like a convertible, you have to play it louder so you can hear against the draft of air as you travel. For us it falls into the category "nice to have".

Bobbie Vayo 05-25-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

I had one put in mine at Village Discount Golf Carts when I bought it. I am single it does entertain me when I'm driving.

HogPilot 05-25-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 1770221)

Try the Bluetooth speaker first. I had a radio installed in my dash when I ordered my cart new. I don't use it that much. I have to turn it louder as I go faster. Turn it down when I slow down. I had to have two extra speakers installed behind the seats so I could hear it. I wouldn't do it again, the console installation took away two of my cup holders, tee holders and ball holders. (I didn't play golf before I moved here). I also had to have an antennae amplifier installed to get better reception. AM reception is just okay. FM does much better.

Professor 05-25-2020 07:52 PM

My personal opinion is why bother? With so much beauty that surrounds us why spoil the experience...and I REALLY love music so that is quite a statement from me.

Challenger 05-26-2020 06:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

JMHO-- I find that people who have them seem to be oblivious to to fact that others don't want to hear a loud radio (and they are always loud) in a golf cart sitting next to them. Often reminds me of the adolescent boys with the BOOMER in their pick up.

KMS1946 05-28-2020 03:24 PM

We got a small round Jam brand speaker at Kohl's. It fits in the cup holder. We hooked up with the phone/Bluetooth and it works great. 😎