Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Travel Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/)
-   -   How has the pandemic changed your summer plans? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/how-has-pandemic-changed-your-summer-plans-306898/)

Todayscoolfacts 05-26-2020 04:10 PM

How has the pandemic changed your summer plans?

At the start of this year, I had a trip planned at the end of the month to venture out west a bit. I imagine a lot of people have had their summer travels altered because of the pandemic, but I'm curious what you're doing instead of your original plans. Any local vacation spots that are worth checking out (and easy to practice social distancing)?Thanks!

Mleeja 05-26-2020 04:26 PM

Florida-Back-Roads Travel.com has a lot of interesting trips. Most are day trips, but there some which might require an overnight stay. I think we might head up to the big bend area for a mini-vacation. This area is relatively unaffected by the COVID-19 and interesting places to visit.

retiredguy123 05-26-2020 04:52 PM

I hate to say it, but my original plan was to go nowhere. Fortunately, I haven't had to change my plan at all.

600th Photo Sq 05-26-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todayscoolfacts (Post 1771533)
At the start of this year, I had a trip planned at the end of the month to venture out west a bit. I imagine a lot of people have had their summer travels altered because of the pandemic, but I'm curious what you're doing instead of your original plans. Any local vacation spots that are worth checking out (and easy to practice social distancing)?Thanks!

Take a drive to Palm Coast, 2 hours from Cane Garden. The beach is practically deserted. Bings landing BBQ Ribs. Getting to the beach take road directly across from A1A about 3/4 mile and you will be on the beach.

The Hammock Beach hotel is close by very nice various package deals.

Palm Coast Parkway excellent shops and restaurants

Steer clear of the Cinnamon Beach Air BnB you will be eaten alive.

Stu from NYC 05-26-2020 06:42 PM

We had several nice cruises planned and all cancelled.

Thought of road trip out west but afraid to stay at hotels now.

As a result we are staying home for now

manaboutown 05-26-2020 06:59 PM

Some people are planning RV road trips in lieu of flying or floating anywhere, staying in hotels and being dependent on eating at restaurants.

sandybill2 05-26-2020 07:59 PM

Had three cruises cancelled---March on Celebrity Edge--taking our son and daughter-in-law---April Carnival with my Aunt and uncle----NCL Alaska Cruise in August with my hubby. Still trying to make sure I get credits,refunds, etc., for these---not as easy as you think---cruise lines so backed up Missed our usual May trip to Kentucky visiting my 84 year old Aunt. Still planning on Virginia Trip middle of June---our son's birthday---have never missed being with him----just think we all have to decide for ourselves what we are willing to do---what we are willing to risk----just don't know where this virus is going to go---tomorrow-next week-next month-next year. We wear masks-to protect others, etc. and will take them with us because from what I have heard Virginia Governor is going to require these when in public---

Nucky 05-26-2020 08:08 PM

We had a simple trip to New Jersey for about a month planned in an RV. It's still too risky to give it a shot. We were going to take the grandchildren camping to several family campgrounds from the Poconos and then-unknown points west.

A small disappointment. There will be other better years to pull this off. We just miss the Grandkids a little bit. Thank God for Facetime.

Stu from NYC 05-26-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1771602)
We had a simple trip to New Jersey for about a month planned in an RV. It's still too risky to give it a shot. We were going to take the grandchildren camping to several family campgrounds from the Poconos and then-unknown points west.

A small disappointment. There will be other better years to pull this off. We just miss the Grandkids a little bit. Thank God for Facetime.

and zoom

ColdNoMore 05-26-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandybill2 (Post 1771601)
Had three cruises cancelled---March on Celebrity Edge--taking our son and daughter-in-law---April Carnival with my Aunt and uncle----NCL Alaska Cruise in August with my hubby. Still trying to make sure I get credits,refunds, etc., for these---not as easy as you think---cruise lines so backed up Missed our usual May trip to Kentucky visiting my 84 year old Aunt. Still planning on Virginia Trip middle of June---our son's birthday---have never missed being with him----just think we all have to decide for ourselves what we are willing to do---what we are willing to risk----just don't know where this virus is going to go---tomorrow-next week-next month-next year. We wear masks-to protect others, etc. and will take them with us because from what I have heard Virginia Governor is going to require these when in public---

Thank you for being decent human beings and thinking of others...and not just yourself. :ho:

I do the same.

Safe travels.
:thumbup:

FenneyGuy 05-27-2020 05:18 AM

Quote:

My 15 day river cruise in Europe was cancelled. I rescheduled for 2021.

La lamy 05-27-2020 05:34 AM

I was hoping to start a vegetable garden in my new city where I just moved, but was put on a long wait list at a Community Garden. Thanks to COVID (kinda hate saying that), people got scared and I got an 8' x 8' plot to putter with! There's strict COVID guidelines and no compost available this year, but it's such a treat to have a project outside of the home to stay busy and happy with. And it's beside tennis courts that we love to play at. 2 in 1 bliss!!

Clarinet 05-27-2020 05:43 AM

We would be in Ireland right now had it not been for this event. Hope to reschedule in the future. Meanwhile we are in our home in Vermont and doing a lot of gardening, hiking, and social distancing.

DIver0258 05-27-2020 06:32 AM

Retiring

We planned to retire to a new home in The Villages. Some how we were able to pull it off. My last day at work is June 30th. Our home in Georgia sold even with COVID 19 happening. We purchased our dream home. So our plans really haven’t changed. We feel fortunate that everything fell into place. We will spend the majority of the summer setting up our home and selling our villa.

Leadbone1 05-27-2020 06:34 AM

Quote:

It all depends on your fear level! My plans have not changed at all because I will not allow them to! Heading to Hilton Head Island shortly for about a day and a half, and then a drive up to Ocean Isle North Carolina for a week long beachfront vacation with my entire family. 23 of us. Can’t wait!
Won’t let a virus hold me hostage!
Never did it for any other virus and won’t do it for this one.