Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Owners Title Insurance. Yes or No (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/owners-title-insurance-yes-no-307013/)

JimJohnson 05-30-2020 08:12 AM

Owners Title Insurance. Yes or No

Lenders will not lend you the mortgage without you buying a lenders title insurance.

If you purchase from an individual, it would be smart to buy or insist that the Seller buy you aN owners title insurance policy.

If you buy a new home from the Villages, save your money and IF, anything should go wrong, you have the option of suing The Villages for selling you a piece of land that they DID NOT OWN.

retiredguy123 05-30-2020 08:28 AM

You always have the option to sue a seller, but who wants to do that? And, a lender's title policy does not protect the owner. I have always bought an owners title insurance policy. When I bought my first house, the attorney who examined the title found that the a previous owner had sold the house to the current seller without getting her divorced spouse to sign the sales documents. His name was still on the previous title. The attorney had to track down the spouse in another state to get his signature. If the attorney had not discovered the error, the title insurance could have been well worth the cost.

leftyf 05-30-2020 08:44 AM

I have always included in my offer that the seller pay for title insurance and survey, always accepted.

Challenger 05-30-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJohnson (Post 1773571)
Lenders will not lend you the mortgage without you buying a lenders title insurance.

If you purchase from an individual, it would be smart to buy or insist that the Seller buy you aN owners title insurance policy.

If you buy a new home from the Villages, save your money and IF, anything should go wrong, you have the option of suing The Villages for selling you a piece of land that they DID NOT OWN.

Spent 40years working for community banks whose major line of business was home mortgages . Always advised customers to buy Owners policy . This post is very questionable advice . Many other threads on the issue - read them for more info.

Challenger 05-30-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1773585)
You always have the option to sue a seller, but who wants to do that? And, a lender's title policy does not protect the owner. I have always bought an owners title insurance policy. When I bought my first house, the attorney who examined the title found that the a previous owner had sold the house to the current seller without getting her divorced spouse to sign the sales documents. His name was still on the previous title. The attorney had to track down the spouse in another state to get his signature. If the attorney had not discovered the error, the title insurance could have been well worth the cost.

An owners policy will provide legal representation at their costs if an issue arises. This can be a very significant cost . Many thousands is common place. Peace of mind for the life of your ownership for a few hundred dollars.

charlieo1126@gmail.com 05-30-2020 09:14 AM

If this was Massachusetts with land owners going back 100’s of years I would say yes , but I’ve owned 5 homes here , the last thing the family would want from d a land dispute , save your money and say no

vintageogauge 05-30-2020 09:40 AM

Say no if it's a new home and yes if it's a used home.

JimJohnson 05-30-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1773585)

Could happen, but notice I am talking about a new home on village bought property. So again, save your money

JimJohnson 05-30-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Challenger (Post 1773641)
Spent 40years working for community banks whose major line of business was home mortgages . Always advised customers to buy Owners policy . This post is very questionable advice . Many other threads on the issue - read them for more info.

And you would be correct if you are mortgaging between a buyer and seller. But note, I’m referring to buying a new home from a large corporation. So I get where your coming. From, but in this case your way off target.

JimJohnson 05-30-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com (Post 1773657)
If this was Massachusetts with land owners going back 100’s of years I would say yes , but I’ve owned 5 homes here , the last thing the family would want from d a land dispute , save your money and say no

Well said.

JimJohnson 05-30-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1773686)
Say no if it's a new home and yes if it's a used home.

Correct.

Challenger 05-30-2020 10:54 AM

Owners Title Ins costs hundreds- Will provide coverage of up to Value of property for the life of ownership, including legal costs of a suit to defend your ownership. The major cost items for Title insurance companies is the costs of defending the property rights of their insured. Value of home and property $000,000s - Cost of Owners Title Ins. $000s one time. The fact that the Villages was the last owner prior to the the purchase by the last buyer is comforting, but won't pay you bills for defense of your property rights. "Caveat Emptor" in either case

Stu from NYC 05-30-2020 12:11 PM

Worth it for peace of mind

BobnBev 05-30-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJohnson (Post 1773571)

Good luck on suing the villages:ohdear::ohdear:

JimJohnson 05-30-2020 12:41 PM

I would say with great confidence that over the Last 30 years, there has never been one, not one Case of owners title insurance for a Villages built and sold home Being needed for any legal problem. Save your money and don’t buy it. .